Old 16-10-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Device for compacting leaves?

When the leaf-fall season peaks I will be able to collect six full
binbags of leaves every week. In the past this wasn't a problem but my
charmless local council have now introduced wheelie bins and removed
all flexibility from the waste collection.

I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume. I have seen such things for sale in the USA:

http://www.nextag.com/Mulcher-57780851/prices-html

Is there anything like this available in the UK?
Old 16-10-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jim Hatfield
writes
I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume.

We collect leaves with the ordinary (quite large) mower - it does seem
to compact them quite a bit.

We run over smaller amounts with the mulching mower - they just
disappear....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 16-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Hatfield" wrote in message
When the leaf-fall season peaks I will be able to collect six full
binbags of leaves every week. In the past this wasn't a problem but my
charmless local council have now introduced wheelie bins and removed
all flexibility from the waste collection.

I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume. I have seen such things for sale in the USA:

http://www.nextag.com/Mulcher-57780851/prices-html

Is there anything like this available in the UK?

Why not just leave them in the bags and let them rot, then you can use them
as compost?

Alan

Old 16-10-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Hatfield" wrote in message
When the leaf-fall season peaks I will be able to collect six full
binbags of leaves every week. In the past this wasn't a problem but my
charmless local council have now introduced wheelie bins and removed
all flexibility from the waste collection.

I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume. I have seen such things for sale in the USA:

http://www.nextag.com/Mulcher-57780851/prices-html

Is there anything like this available in the UK?

The standard leaf collectors/blowers shred and compact leaves by a good 50%.

Old 18-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:45:30 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume. I have seen such things for sale in the USA:

Why not just leave them in the bags and let them rot, then you can use them
as compost?

I have no need for compost as I don't have a garden.

Old 18-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:58:41 +0100, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

I'm looking for something which can compact the leaves down to a much
smaller volume. I have seen such things for sale in the USA:

http://www.nextag.com/Mulcher-57780851/prices-html

Is there anything like this available in the UK?

The standard leaf collectors/blowers shred and compact leaves by a good 50%.

I have a "Garden Vac" bought many years ago which collects the leaves
but doesn't compact them in any way. I realise you can get compacting
blowers/vacs these days but I didn't really want to buy another one
just to get the compacting function. But I guess that's what I'll end
up doing.

One pass last weekend filled the green wheelie bin by 50% and we are
nowhere near the peak of the season :-(

UK: Garden security device wanted dave Gardening 9 17-12-2003 07:32 PM
UK: Garden security device wanted dave Gardening 1 15-12-2003 02:47 PM
Device for fertilizing lilies K Ponds 7 30-07-2003 09:47 PM
sonic device work? infoseeker Ponds 20 17-07-2003 02:09 AM
sonic device work? OT bobkiely Ponds 3 15-07-2003 10:18 PM