Old 17-10-2006, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Azada" alternative to spades, anyone?

In message -hctertsdd, David D
Stretch writes
My Chinese relatives normally use a different kind of digging tool than the
typical kind of spade that most people in the UK would use. I was persuaded
by them to buy one.

snip
We do not seem to have any English name for the
implement.

A Chillington hoe is a name I've heard.

They are also popular in Mediterranean countries such as Spain, Italy,
Greece. I have one, which I bought in Spain, as do several people on
our allotments, who are Greek, Italian : )
I find them good for breaking hard ground and chopping up lumps of clay
soil.

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 17-10-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
In message -hctertsdd, David

Stretch writes
My Chinese relatives normally use a different kind of digging tool

than the
typical kind of spade that most people in the UK would use. I was

persuaded
by them to buy one.

snip
We do not seem to have any English name for the
implement.

A Chillington hoe is a name I've heard.

They are also popular in Mediterranean countries such as Spain,

Italy,
Greece. I have one, which I bought in Spain, as do several people

on
our allotments, who are Greek, Italian : )
I find them good for breaking hard ground and chopping up lumps of

clay
soil.

Also common in much of Africa. The Africans use then also to move
soil around by putting the soil on the handle side and using it a wee
bit like a shovel.

Azada?? Jack[_5_] Gardening 0 18-04-2007 12:38 AM
"Azada" alternative to spades, anyone? neilr United Kingdom 5 18-10-2006 02:34 PM
"Spearwell" spades David Rose United Kingdom 3 29-11-2003 03:05 PM
azada handle PA United Kingdom 2 30-07-2003 10:12 AM
Azada anyone? Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 05-07-2003 07:20 PM