Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Scraping the barrel

"Martin" wrote in message
I watched it for the first time this evening.
Utter crap.
Martin

You beat me to it Martin. I caught the 2nd half of the prog...

How on earth are they going to mow the 'hill' ?

They'll also have to keep an eye on their daughter if they do as suggested
and let her crawl around the beds.....

Plus they seemed only to plant things that were in flower at that moment.
How will it look in other seasons ? Seesm like instant gardening gone mad !

The thing is though - the program is SO bad one feels almost compelled to
watch it !!

Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

!

The thing is though - the program is SO bad one feels almost compelled to
watch it !!

Jenny

The daughter died shortly after the programme was made.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
I watched it for the first time this evening.
Utter crap.
Martin

You beat me to it Martin. I caught the 2nd half of the prog...

How on earth are they going to mow the 'hill' ?

They'll also have to keep an eye on their daughter if they do as suggested
and let her crawl around the beds.....

Plus they seemed only to plant things that were in flower at that moment.
How will it look in other seasons ? Seesm like instant gardening gone mad
!

The thing is though - the program is SO bad one feels almost compelled to
watch it !!

Jenny

The daughter died shortly after the programme was made.

It could almost be funny in a "The Armstrongs" sort of way if it weren't
so desperately tragic and a the same time so utterly useless from the
point of view of helping those people.
I think the exclamation point is those two clinking their glasses of
champagne ...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
"JennyC" wrote
"Martin" wrote
I watched it for the first time this evening.
Utter crap.
Martin
The thing is though - the program is SO bad one feels almost compelled
watch it !!
Jenny

The daughter died shortly after the programme was made.

It could almost be funny in a "The Armstrongs" sort of way if it weren't
so desperately tragic and a the same time so utterly useless from the
point of view of helping those people.
I think the exclamation point is those two clinking their glasses of
champagne ...
Klara, Gatwick basin

TV programs seem to be all going the same way:
Sensation + emotion + instant.
It's a sad state of affairs :~(

All the Big brother type programs are taking over. Here in Holland we have a
program call "Farmer seeks wife" where there are several farmers who get to
chose 5 females who've written in 'applying' for one of them. They get taken
around the farm and it's SO embarrassing to see the women being weighed up
by the men and vice versa....

Still at least Ground Force is no more :~))))

Nothing is left to the imagination these days. It's all instantly on tap in
glorious Technicolor....

I've been watching the old Quatermass series on DVD...... B&W, full of scary
atmospheric background music, totally naf-but hugely intimidating special
effects..... But at least nowadays I watch it from the settee instead of
hiding behind it as I did when I first saw the series as child :~))

Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, "JennyC" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

They'll also have to keep an eye on their daughter if they do as suggested
and let her crawl around the beds.....

she died. It was in the credits at the end.

OH :~(
I had turned of by then !!!!!!!!!!!!
How awful for the parents. Now they will always be reminded of her by the
garden. Lets just hope they are not too traumatised by the program.....

Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
The thing is though - the program is SO bad one feels almost
compelled to watch it !!

The daughter died shortly after the programme was made.

By the sound if it I think I'm glad I gave up before this one. :-/

I'd had more than enough after the other week when they divided a small
garden up into rectangles with straight paths crossing in the centre,
which to my mind made it look much smaller and more rigid than need be.
Then they planted a large area with gerberas and cannas.

All that for a woman who'd said she'd like an informal jungly feel and
who, because she was a full time carer, didn't have much time to spend
gardening - or presumably lifting cannas and gerberas for winter.

It's such a wasted opportunity though, because as I think Mike L said
before, there could have been a *really* good series made by the right
people on the lines of how tending a garden, even in a small way, can be
therapeutic.

Dan Pearson should do one; it's about time he was back on screen. His
voice would make me feel better right away. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 08-11-2006, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
[...]

Or Monty Don.....he knows all about the healing properties of gardening :~))
http://www.nelmh.org/home_affective_...c=001&fid =51

Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes
Nothing is left to the imagination these days. It's all instantly on
tap in glorious Technicolor....

I've been watching the old Quatermass series on DVD...... B&W, full of
scary atmospheric background music, totally naf-but hugely intimidating
special effects..... But at least nowadays I watch it from the settee
instead of hiding behind it as I did when I first saw the series as
child :~))

Jenny

Good plan! There is less and less I can bear to watch - we gave up on
Spooks because it was all terrorists, and we've had friends and family
very close to both the Twin Towers and the underground blasts. But
Quatermass, now that I could cope with....
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes
Nothing is left to the imagination these days. It's all instantly on tap
in glorious Technicolor....

I've been watching the old Quatermass series on DVD...... B&W, full of
scary atmospheric background music, totally naf-but hugely intimidating
special effects..... But at least nowadays I watch it from the settee
instead of hiding behind it as I did when I first saw the series as child
:~))

Jenny

Good plan! There is less and less I can bear to watch - we gave up on
Spooks because it was all terrorists, and we've had friends and family
very close to both the Twin Towers and the underground blasts. But
Quatermass, now that I could cope with....
Klara, Gatwick basin

Torchwood (BBC2 in about an hour from now) is pretty good
too.............and the X-files.... and Stargate.... :~))
Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:18:32 +0100, "JennyC"
"Sue" wrote
Dan Pearson should do one; it's about time he was back on screen.
His voice would make me feel better right away. ;-)

Or Monty Don.....he knows all about the healing properties of
gardening :~))
http://www.nelmh.org/home_affective_...c=001&fid =51

or Monty Don & Chris De Burgh who claims he can cure by laying on
hands

For horticultural miracle working it'd be Chris De Beardshaw. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes
Torchwood (BBC2 in about an hour from now) is pretty good
too.............and the X-files.... and Stargate.... :~)) Jenny

Sounds good :-)))
but I'm still working :-(((
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote after JennyC said

I've been watching the old Quatermass series on DVD...... B&W, full of
scary atmospheric background music, totally naf-but hugely intimidating
special effects..... But at least nowadays I watch it from the settee
instead of hiding behind it as I did when I first saw the series as child
:~))

Good plan! There is less and less I can bear to watch - we gave up on
Spooks because it was all terrorists, and we've had friends and family
very close to both the Twin Towers and the underground blasts. But
Quatermass, now that I could cope with....

Having given up on Sky, which we never watched, we too have resorted to
buying DVDs to watch with the money we would have wasted on Sky. So instead
of the dreadful "reality" programs and tragic "comedy" programs (i.e..
Little Britain) that seem to litter the airwaves we have watched all the
"Miss Marples" with Joan Hickson, we recently bought the complete "Midsummer
Murders" and now are going to get the complete "Morse". Never watched them
the first time around. All highly recommended.

http://www.choicesuk.com/ has the lot and we have found them rather
efficient.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Torchwood (BBC2 in about an hour from now) is pretty good

Check this site with the sound on )))

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
wrote

Torchwood (BBC2 in about an hour from now) is pretty good

Yep Torchwood is an over hyped travelog of Cardiff using reject scripts
and sets from Dr Who with actors who cannot act.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

JennyC wrote:
Torchwood (BBC2 in about an hour from now) is pretty good

Check this site with the sound on )))

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

"you are outside the UK and therefore cannot view the videos"
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jenny

Scraping the Barrel? Klara United Kingdom 11 17-11-2006 10:26 PM
Scraping the barrel Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 0 07-11-2006 11:50 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 28-02-2003 04:26 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM