Old 15-11-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Electric start lawnmowers?

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start the
pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I have
seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit high, so
does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Alan

Old 15-11-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Alan
Check out the Husqvarna Electric start.
Fantastic machine I have one from

www.amsmachinery.co.uk

Phil

Old 15-11-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Alan
Check out the Husqvarna Electric start.
Fantastic machine I have one from

Just looked at the web page, seems ideal, just have to find the supplier!

Alan

www.amsmachinery.co.uk

Phil

Old 15-11-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the
pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I have
seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit high, so
does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Alan

There are loads to go at Alan such as;-
http://www.amsmachinery.co.uk/details.aspx?p=40

Old 15-11-2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start the
pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I have
seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit high, so
does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Get it serviced and then the pull start will work first time

Old 15-11-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start the
pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I have
seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit high, so
does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Go to your local garden machinery dealer (found in the Yellow Pages under
lawnmowers) and test any machine with a Honda engine on it. You'll be
suprised at how easy they are to start and you don't have the maintenance
problem with a battery over the winter.

Most dealers worth their salt won't sell you an electric start machine
unless you have a heart condition or a serious shoulder/arm problem.

Old 15-11-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start the
pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I have
seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit high, so
does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Alan

From - Wed

Don't know about any electric start mowers Alan, but you could just try
removing the cap off your mower spark-plug and then spraying inside it &
the top of your spark-plug with a bit of WD40 (to displace any
moisture). Worked a treat for me recently.

Antony

--
Delete 'SPM_BLK_' to reply
Old 16-11-2006, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I
have seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit
high, so does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Get it serviced and then the pull start will work first time

you know about lawn mowers do you as well..............bwahahahahahaha

Old 16-11-2006, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Road_Hog® wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Go to your local garden machinery dealer (found in the Yellow Pages under
lawnmowers) and test any machine with a Honda engine on it. You'll be
suprised at how easy they are to start and you don't have the maintenance
problem with a battery over the winter.

I have a couple of honda powered things and both start first pull but
you don't feel like you're actually pulling anything. These are old
machines too. I think they have something that relieves cylinder
pressure until they fire or something like that. My mower is also self
-propelled so it makes mowing very easy.

Old 16-11-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:55:56 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower,

How old is the mower? Has it been serviced properly? Mine will start with
not much more than a slow gentle swing of the arm.

I'm looking for an electric start mower,

Briggs & Straton (I think, might be Honda) have a mechanical system that
uses a BFO spring and a release mechansium to start the engine. Once the
engine is running the spring is would back up for the next time. I don't
know how many start attempts you have before you are back to the pull
start though. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 16-11-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I
have seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit
high, so does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Get it serviced and then the pull start will work first time

It has recently been serviced!

Old 16-11-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lez Pawl" wrote in message

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I
have seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit
high, so does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Get it serviced and then the pull start will work first time

you know about lawn mowers do you as well..............bwahahahahahaha

Oh god, have I just responded to a troll?

Old 16-11-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Antony Legat" antony@nospamthanks wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I
have seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit
high, so does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Or is there a source of second-hand mowers of this type?

Alan
From - Wed

Don't know about any electric start mowers Alan, but you could just try
removing the cap off your mower spark-plug and then spraying inside it &
the top of your spark-plug with a bit of WD40 (to displace any moisture).
Worked a treat for me recently.

If I can muster the strength to bend down, I just might give thsi a try!

Thanks

Alan

Antony

--
Delete 'SPM_BLK_' to reply

Old 16-11-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As I think I'm getting OLD, and it is becoming more difficult to start
the pull cord type of mower, I'm looking for an electric start mower, I
have seen one but it is £500, and being a poor old man, that is a bit
high, so does anyone know of a cheaper version?

Suffering from shoulder pain about 10 years ago that I put down to starting
my old Hayter mower I lashed out and bought an electric start model to
replace it. For about 8 years I enjoyed starting at the turn of a key, then
the battery died and I resorted to starting with the pull cord until I got
round to replacing the battery. Two years later I still start it with the
pull cord as it always starts first pull, and is very little effort to pull.
So my advise is, go for the electric start model by all means but they are
more expensive. Or simply buy a machine with a good make/model of engine, as
modern quality 4 stroke engines seem to start with ease.

I recently made the mistake of buying a cheap 2 stroke hedge cutter, and its
a bugger to start. Unlike my 15 year old strimmer with Kawasaki engine that
starts with ease every time.

Mike (the new boy)

Old 17-11-2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a couple of honda powered things and both start first pull but
you don't feel like you're actually pulling anything. These are old
machines too. I think they have something that relieves cylinder
pressure until they fire or something like that.

Yes, they have a decompression system, that operates off of a cam, which
doesn't allow the valves to fully close at low rpm (i.e. when pull starting
the engine).

As soon as the engine fires and rpm picks up, it moves off of the cam
allowing full compression/power.