Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olives

Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree. So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree.
So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Don't be so ungrateful Sacha. The poor chap realised a partridge in a pear
tree was just too big for the front room-not to mention all the ensuing bird
sh*t.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/12/06 18:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree.
So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))
--

Don't be so ungrateful Sacha. The poor chap realised a partridge in a pear
tree was just too big for the front room-not to mention all the ensuing bird
sh*t.

Tsk tsk. You underestimate my husband! This is the man who, when his
daughter brought an ornament of a rhino home from Africa and placed it on a
windowsill, scattered several currants in an artistic arrangement of little
heaps and trails behind it. He said it was days before anyone noticed.
I'm just a teensy bit amused because olive trees are the 'in thing' atm and
we do get people asking how to harvest and preserve them and if we managed 4
this year after a long hot spell in a greenhouse......... ;-) However, with
global warming, no doubt the laugh will be on........our 20 times removed
successors!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

After the currants episode he realised he was not married to a domestic
goddess:-)
The olive tree thing does amuse me also. I keep seeing mature gnarled trees
for sale at astronomical prices. Not particularly attractive trees and the
foliage is even worse.
I suppose if you need the large gnarled effect then they are cheaper than
buying bonsai.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Not guilty, m'lud. That was before my time!

The olive tree thing does amuse me also. I keep seeing mature gnarled trees
for sale at astronomical prices. Not particularly attractive trees and the
foliage is even worse.
I suppose if you need the large gnarled effect then they are cheaper than
buying bonsai.

I love old olive trees but I do wonder if people buying them now realise how
long theyıll take to get like that.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree.
So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))

snip
I'm just a teensy bit amused because olive trees are the 'in thing' atm and
we do get people asking how to harvest and preserve them and if we managed 4
this year after a long hot spell in a greenhouse......... ;-) However, with
global warming, no doubt the laugh will be on........our 20 times removed
successors!

Our olive tree (outside in a pot on the patio) has quite a large crop of
small olives - just turning from green to black.

Presumably a hardier variety which produces small fruit instead of the big
oily ones.

If I had the time I would quite fancy collecting them and processing them,
but I understand it is a long and laborious process.

Last year's olives stayed on the tree well into this year, mind you, so
there may yet be time :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I think the smaller ones are harvested in January in e.g. Crete. Can you
process yours now and tell us what happens, how they taste etc?
I'm sorry, David but I don't recall where you live. Please don't tell me
it's in deepest Spain. ;-)

Old 11-12-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I think the smaller ones are harvested in January in e.g. Crete. Can you
process yours now and tell us what happens, how they taste etc?
I'm sorry, David but I don't recall where you live. Please don't tell me
it's in deepest Spain. ;-)

Hi Sasha

talking of olive trees, which you were, can you advise on what potting
medium I should use to re-pot my wife's 9" tall tree she got for free
via "Gardeners' world" magazine - it's her pride and joy, growing well
in the warmth of our kitchen.

I won't be around I guess by the time it becomes a gnarled fruiting
specimen plant but in the mean time, I will give it my best shot!

cheers

Steve

Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:50:26 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 10/12/06 17:17, in article ,
"David WE Roberts" wrote:

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:27:20 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 9/12/06 18:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
Our olive tree (outside in a pot on the patio) has quite a large crop of
small olives - just turning from green to black.

Presumably a hardier variety which produces small fruit instead of the big
oily ones.

If I had the time I would quite fancy collecting them and processing them,
but I understand it is a long and laborious process.

Last year's olives stayed on the tree well into this year, mind you, so
there may yet be time :-)

I think the smaller ones are harvested in January in e.g. Crete. Can you
process yours now and tell us what happens, how they taste etc?
I'm sorry, David but I don't recall where you live. Please don't tell me
it's in deepest Spain. ;-)

The Olive tree is on a south facing patio about 1/4 mile from the sea in
sunny Suffolk.

I don't recall where I live either as I am part time in Suffolk and part
time in Berkshire - where the winters seem more severe and the summers
much more dry.

Also, in Berkshire I am on gravel which is not the most fertile of growing
media.

Still, one day I may make it to Spain/Portugal/France/Italy/New Zealand -
and the Internet will still be there ;-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/12/06 18:32, in article
, "Steve J"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I think the smaller ones are harvested in January in e.g. Crete. Can you
process yours now and tell us what happens, how they taste etc?
I'm sorry, David but I don't recall where you live. Please don't tell me
it's in deepest Spain. ;-)

Hi Sasha

talking of olive trees, which you were, can you advise on what potting
medium I should use to re-pot my wife's 9" tall tree she got for free
via "Gardeners' world" magazine - it's her pride and joy, growing well
in the warmth of our kitchen.

I won't be around I guess by the time it becomes a gnarled fruiting
specimen plant but in the mean time, I will give it my best shot!

John Innes No 3 with a little grit mixed into it, says my guru husband. It
must be free draining, almost dried out between waterings and above all, not
ever, never, ever, water logged. In their natural state they take quite a
lot of cold - think of the higher areas of the Greek islands, for example -
but they are sharply drained, growing on rocky soil and getting a lot of
lonnnnng sunshine hours in summer. Our problem here is cold and persistent
wet and not enough sunshine hours, so fruiting is likely to be unpredictable
at the least.
As to seeing it in its maturity, I can only say 'think positive'. ;-)

Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
As to seeing it in its maturity, I can only say 'think positive'. ;-)

You mean that Global warming will accelerate the growth rate of the
incipient tree?

:-)

Thanks, I knew I could rely on you!

Steve

Olives In Containers Endangered Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 3 02-04-2005 08:08 PM
Olives - Inside Or Out For Winter? Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
[IBC] Old Olives kevin bailey Bonsai 1 25-04-2004 10:04 AM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 19-02-2003 11:09 PM