Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default corriander in pot is droopy

we got a corriander herb in a pot in tescos last week. and put it on a south
facing kitchen window inside. its gone all droopy. yes we have watered it.
any advice on the conditions it likes please?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

torge conrad maguar wrote:

we got a corriander herb in a pot in tescos last week. and put it on a south
facing kitchen window inside. its gone all droopy. yes we have watered it.
any advice on the conditions it likes please?

Is the kitchen always kept warm? Window sills can get cold at night at
this time of the year, depending on the level of sealing you have. The
other thing that could help would be to re-pot the coriander bunch into
a bigger pot, with a mixture of soil and compost. I've found from
experience that coriander never thrives in a "pure compost"
environment.

Just my thoughts...

AA
http://www.myspace.com/aa_spaceagent

Old 12-12-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
we got a corriander herb in a pot in tescos last week. and put it on

a south
facing kitchen window inside. its gone all droopy. yes we have

watered it.
any advice on the conditions it likes please?

As someone else said, repot it. But if you are in the northern
hemisphere then expect it to die rapidly as you are trying to grow it
out of season. Coriander is one of the most difficult plants to grow
even in the right season and even when it's growing strongly it
promptly runs to seed and that's the end of it. It needs to be
succession sown and in the right season. Now Laksa plant is a very
different matter - it copes well with frost and cold once established.

Old 13-12-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

torge conrad maguar wrote:
we got a corriander herb in a pot in tescos last week. and put it on a south
facing kitchen window inside. its gone all droopy. yes we have watered it.
any advice on the conditions it likes please?

Pots from supermarket are grown in peat compost which nourishes the
plants fast and they usually gets lankiy and then die rapidly.

Like Abdul said, a John Innes 3 compost would be best or a soil based
compost, some gravel mixed in, crocks/gravel at the bottom so that the
pot is well drained. So repot now!!

Coriander can be grow all year round indoors, because I've always had
some, though it does go to seeds quickly if it gets too warm, which is
quite normal. I've made a long rectangle pot of corriander and sow them
every other weeks in April (when pot is outside) so that I don't end up
having lots of 'hard' leaves but keep getting new little ones full of
taste. I find it taste awful when a couple of month old. Then bring the
pot out in March/April and bring it back on your windowsill. Corriander
don't like too wet condition and perhaps your kitchen gives lots of
condensation? It always takes a while to find the right windowseal for
the herbs in winter - warm and light is the best place. In my long pot
I have also basil, parsley, a sad looking rosemary (though lots
permanently outside) and an ancient thyme.

I also freeze surplus when I chop the lot hard before putting the pot
outside in the spring.

Old 13-12-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
we got a corriander herb in a pot in tescos last week. and put it on

a south
facing kitchen window inside. its gone all droopy. yes we have

watered it.
any advice on the conditions it likes please?

As someone else said, repot it. But if you are in the northern
hemisphere then expect it to die rapidly as you are trying to grow it
out of season. Coriander is one of the most difficult plants to grow
even in the right season and even when it's growing strongly it
promptly runs to seed and that's the end of it. It needs to be
succession sown and in the right season. Now Laksa plant is a very
different matter - it copes well with frost and cold once established.

I am interested! Having struggled to grow corriander, always with very
limited success.
Does Laksa taste similar ? And has anyone here experience of growing
it in the British Isles?

Cat(h)

Old 13-12-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

As someone else said, repot it. But if you are in the northern
hemisphere then expect it to die rapidly as you are trying to grow

it
out of season. Coriander is one of the most difficult plants to

grow
even in the right season and even when it's growing strongly it
promptly runs to seed and that's the end of it. It needs to be
succession sown and in the right season. Now Laksa plant is a

very
different matter - it copes well with frost and cold once

established.

I am interested! Having struggled to grow corriander, always with

very
limited success.

:-)) It's a total pig of a plant to grow. I have now resorted to
buying it and have found that if I buy the coriander that is packed in
a plastic sleeve which still has its roots attached then it will keep
extremely well in the fridge (more than 10 days) if I store it there
in a glass of water with the plastic wrap still around the sides but
not over the top and with the roots similarly exposed in the water.

Does Laksa taste similar ?

I wouldn't say so but then it is called "Vietnamese coriander" in the
US so perhaps Americans think so. It is an essential ingredient in
much Asian cooking, especially Vietnamese, Thai food and Malaysian
Laksa (in Singapore it's called Laksa and it is tough. I planted a
minute plant here just before we received an extremely savage frost
here in October. I can't ever recall such a savage frost - it took
out all the leaves on many deciduous trees and totally wiped out the
grape crop in a huge area (not unusual) but it knocked out many plants
that normally wouldn't turn a hair to a bad frost. Anyway, I found
the newly planted Laksa plant (less that 9" high) totally black and
looking dead as a dodo. It had few roots to speak of when I planted
it but with some TLC, it's now coming back - still small and weedy but
with green all over it.

However, it is a tough plant and well worth the space. It has many ot
her names which include Rau Ram, hot mint, "Vietnamese mint" and
apparently is a close relative of knotweed. The way to keep it is not
to cosset it. Plant it outside at the beginning of spring - getting
it grwoing strongly and then dont' cut off the old stems whent he
frost comes - it'll have protection over winter from the old stems in
the UK, I'd also suggest a covering of hay over the roots area. Treat
it a bit like mint - moist soil but well draining.

Old 13-12-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

It needs to be
succession sown and in the right season. Now Laksa plant is a

very
different matter - it copes well with frost and cold once

established.

I am interested! Having struggled to grow corriander, always with

very
limited success.
Does Laksa taste similar ? And has anyone here experience of

growing
it in the British Isles?

Never heard of Laska but I'll look it up. For what it's worth to

the OP, we
grow herbs in pots of Sinclair M3 with grit added for extra drainage

those that like it.

Having its name might help in the lookup -it's polygonum odoratum.

Old 13-12-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/12/06 23:15, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

It needs to be
succession sown and in the right season. Now Laksa plant is a

very
different matter - it copes well with frost and cold once

established.

I am interested! Having struggled to grow corriander, always with

very
limited success.
Does Laksa taste similar ? And has anyone here experience of

growing
it in the British Isles?

Never heard of Laska but I'll look it up. For what it's worth to

the OP, we
grow herbs in pots of Sinclair M3 with grit added for extra drainage

those that like it.

Having its name might help in the lookup -it's polygonum odoratum.

It does indeed. Am I right that it's pretty rampant?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-12-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:48:42 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I am interested! Having struggled to grow corriander, always with very
limited success.
Does Laksa taste similar ? And has anyone here experience of growing
it in the British Isles?

A few years ago David Hill sent me some Vietnamese Coriander. It grew
very well indoors, and tasted amazingly like the commonly known
coriander. Pieces rooted easily in water.
However I found that the leaves very soon got tough and could not be
used in the same way. Eventually I lost it; don't recall how, and
David is sadly not contributing to this group so I can't ask him for
more!
Didn't know it was called Laska.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-12-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Having its name might help in the lookup -it's polygonum odoratum.

It does indeed. Am I right that it's pretty rampant?

My friend's hasn't shown any signs of strangling her in her bed (yet).

Old 15-12-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/12/06 08:45, in article

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Having its name might help in the lookup -it's polygonum odoratum.

It does indeed. Am I right that it's pretty rampant?

My friend's hasn't shown any signs of strangling her in her bed (yet).

I'll take a photo of what I think is the right plant and email it to you, if
I may? I don't know when as life has become exceedingly hectic but within
the next few days if that's okay.

Old 15-12-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I'll take a photo of what I think is the right plant and email it to

you, if
I may? I don't know when as life has become exceedingly hectic but

within
the next few days if that's okay.

Yep, that's OK.

Question about my Corriander? gmb27 Edible Gardening 0 15-06-2011 05:39 PM
corriander Phil L United Kingdom 15 12-09-2005 10:59 AM
droopy phal. scullycat Orchids 5 14-08-2003 11:09 PM
Droopy Jade StickMon Gardening 8 01-06-2003 05:44 PM