Old 08-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Phil L

Default corriander

I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

TIA

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 Phil L wrote:

I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Why don't you grow it from seed? I've managed to do it successfully with
seed from a supermarket designed for culinary use.

Grow it in the same way that you would grow parsley.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

Greenhouse. Summer only. I have major difficulty, but tend to not
water things all that often. It needs a lot of warmth, regular and
copious water and goes to seed at the slightest neglect.

Almost all herbs freeze well if you chop them roughly and put them
in ice cube trays, covered with stock or water. Some freeze dry,
but most don't. Few dry well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 Phil L wrote:

I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Why don't you grow it from seed? I've managed to do it successfully with

Grow it in the same way that you would grow parsley.

At 15 degrees Celcius higher, and 4 times the light levels!

Don't even THINK of growing it in the same conditions as parsley,
as the latter is quite happy at 5 Celcius and in our dim religious
spring and autumn. Coriander is not ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Bob Smith

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think
they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and
how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question,
can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

TIA

I have grown it from seed before. It was south facing with a brick wall
behind it, and it went like mad. I don't know how you stop it going to seed
though, other than throwing it in a curry.

The packet should say whether the variety is best for using the seed or the
leaves.

I find the leaves get a funny flavour when the 3rd type start appearing (1=
seed leaves, 2=parsley type leaves and 3=frondy leaves when it starts
flowering). I tried growing seeds sold as spices, but nothing came up.

Bob

Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 Phil L wrote:

[...]

I'm just saying how I grew it successfully! In a flower border at that!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:00:52 GMT, Phil L wrote:

I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

TIA

I find it tends to bolt in very sunny/dry periods. Keep it warm, light but
not hot and sunny.
It freezes well but it goes soggy - ok for cooking. It does loose some
flavour after a while, but it's acceptable.
--
Tim C.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 AM
david taylor

Coriander is a fast growing annual, under ideal conditions-warm, humid-laye
English summer it has grown and seeded inside 2 months. Parsley is a
biennial builds up root to flower the next year.
It grows easily from sowings early in the year-March onwards, in a
propagator about 20deg,C.
I don't know about light, but I'll sow some now indoors on a south facing
window and it will fill the light band between September and November(about
the same as January-March).
All the stages of leaf have a nice flavour. The last feathery leaves are
nice as a minor component in tomato, onion and chilli salad, although neat
they give my wife asthma symptoms.
The unripe seeds are delicious with a strong lemony flavour. Ripened seeds
germinate easily. The main problem with the plant is its short life and need
for successive sowings.
Regards
David T
"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

.uk...

Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:08:58 +0200, Tim Challenger wrote:

It freezes well but it goes soggy - ok for cooking. It does loose some
flavour after a while, but it's acceptable.

I wanted to add - it's better if you mix it with a little pureed onion. It
helps keep the flavour.
--
Tim C.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Ted Richardson

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1126253191.be7f60bed9d8998ebd0584fbca3cecbc@t eranews...
: On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:00:52 GMT, Phil L wrote:
:
: I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think
they
: are trained to die once they leave the store!
: I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because
the
: dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
: notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and
how? -
: which variety?

Coriander for seeds -- Cilantro for leaves
Ted R.

obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
: it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
: like the dried variety?
:
: Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
: greenhouses :-) Lancs.
:
: TIA
:
: I find it tends to bolt in very sunny/dry periods. Keep it warm, light but
: not hot and sunny.
: It freezes well but it goes soggy - ok for cooking. It does loose some
: flavour after a while, but it's acceptable.
: --
: Tim C.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Cat(h)

Phil L wrote:
I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

TIA

I bought a few small plants from the garden centre and they grew very
well last year in a sunny herb bed (in the Eastern part of the Midlands
of Ireland). I then harvested the seeds and planted them in early
summer, and they didn't germinate - it may well be because it was too
cold.
To my immense chagrin, I haven't been able to grow it this year at all,
because my nearest three or four garden centres did not have any plants
at any stage this summer, and I didn't have time to go scouring garden
centres further afield.
I haven't had problem freezing my coriander dry last year, but that
said, I hardly ever keep what I freeze for very long in the freezer, as
anything that has spent too long in there comes out terrible, and in
any case, I tend to consume a lot of veggies and herbs. The ice cube
method leaves me a little perplexed, because I use handfuls of home
grown herbs at a time in cooking, and the thought of a couple of ice
cubes' worth of herbs makes me feel like I'll end up with flavourless
food :-) But it may be worth pursuing if you are less greedy than me
:-)

Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Tim Challenger

On 9 Sep 2005 05:03:21 -0700, Cat(h) wrote:

The ice cube
method leaves me a little perplexed, because I use handfuls of home
grown herbs at a time in cooking, and the thought of a couple of ice
cubes' worth of herbs makes me feel like I'll end up with flavourless
food :-) But it may be worth pursuing if you are less greedy than me
:-)

Bung the washed & dried coriander in a mixer with a small amount of onion,
and *maybe* a dash of water (I don't usually need to). Blend it all
together and bung the dark-green mush in the ice-cube moulds. You'll get an
idea of how much gets into an ice-cube. Mind that the flavour does decrease
a bit.

--
Tim C.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
John McMillan

Why don't you grow it from seed? I've managed to do it successfully with
seed from a supermarket designed for culinary use.

I've had great success with seed from indian supermarkets.
Coriander, dill, mustard and fenugreek have all been successes and at prices
well below any seed merchants. The last two have mainly been used as green
mulches on newly dug soil. However, I've given up with
coriander because of its tendency to bolt. I found it less trouble
to buy bunches of the herb ready grown and cut at the very same
supermarkets and freeze those.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
David Rance

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 John McMillan wrote:

Why don't you grow it from seed? I've managed to do it successfully with
seed from a supermarket designed for culinary use.

I've had great success with seed from indian supermarkets.
Coriander, dill, mustard and fenugreek have all been successes and at prices
well below any seed merchants.

Very true!

I haven't tried fenugreek. Will it grow in the UK?

David

Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 AM
sjstokes

I recently bought a Vietnamese Coriander plant which although a rather
different species has a similar taste to 'conventional' coriander,
albeit IMO slightly more spicy.

It's a very attractive plant with elliptical leaves with a darker
section in the middle and is also a perennial. Since I bought it, it's
been sprouting away very happily and I've also been able to root a
cutting from it in a matter of days. As it's a tropical plant it will
need to be brought indoors over the winter.

Perhaps it would be a worthwhile alternative to normal coriander?