Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default PVL+ MRSA Superbug hits Wales

Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

--
Oz

Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Elaine Jones" wrote in message
Quoting from message
posted on 11 Jan 2007 by Jim Webster
I would like to add:

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

Pushing a mediaeval style chest plough possibly, hard work though.

After a few seasons pulling it he might actually be fit enough to handle the
plough end, but whether he has the mental capability to handle a plough is
another matter

Jim Webster

Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

given his obvious dislike of animals I'm not sure I'd want them near any,
hoeing might be more suitable

Jim Webster

Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes

"Oz" wrote in message

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

given his obvious dislike of animals I'm not sure I'd want them near any,
hoeing might be more suitable

I think after a while (say 9 months) mucking out animals and smelling
roasting meat, he would come to be rather fond of animals.

Or very hungry and cold ....

--
Oz

Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:52:50 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

When was the last time you pulled one? In fact, when was the last time
you did a days work?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:43:19 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

Usenet then. Easy.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:47:03 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Jim Webster writes

"Oz" wrote in message

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

given his obvious dislike of animals I'm not sure I'd want them near any,
hoeing might be more suitable

I think after a while (say 9 months) mucking out animals and smelling
roasting meat, he would come to be rather fond of animals.

We cant even asked what it did for you, as being work shy, I don't
suppose you know what sweat of the brow is? State benefits have a lot
to answer for....
Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

"Oz" wrote in message

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

unlikely, plenty of hoeing and mucking out animals would be about his
level.

given his obvious dislike of animals I'm not sure I'd want them near any,
hoeing might be more suitable

I think after a while (say 9 months) mucking out animals and smelling
roasting meat, he would come to be rather fond of animals.

Or very hungry and cold ....

never underestimate the stupidity of the zealot

mind you it would do him good to find another use for a shovel

Jim Webster

Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes

never underestimate the stupidity of the zealot

mind you it would do him good to find another use for a shovel

My thought precisely....

--
Oz

Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:50:30 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Jim Webster writes

never underestimate the stupidity of the zealot

mind you it would do him good to find another use for a shovel

My thought precisely....

Careful or Oz will use his imaginary kill filter on you. Oops, you are
oz!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Elaine Jones contains
these words:
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in
that
sort of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

Pushing a mediaeval style chest plough possibly, hard work though.

Cross posted to five groups, Elaine...

I doubt that she reads this newsgroup.

Alan

--
AnneJ
(If you don't like it, you can Foscar Oxtrot)

Old 13-01-2007, 05:25 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Of course if fuel shortage forces back the horse and plough it need not be
just 19th century technology,
modern materials and computer optimised profiles, and of course integral GPS
to ensure straight furros.

Old 13-01-2007, 05:40 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Hamish" wrote in message
Of course if fuel shortage forces back the horse and plough it need not be
just 19th century technology,
modern materials and computer optimised profiles, and of course integral
GPS to ensure straight furros.

it is something that I've wondered about. Whether the horse will come back
for local deliveries.
Obviously it takes grain, but then does it take less grain to do the daily
deliveries with a horse drawn cart or the bioethanol powered van.

Jim Webster

Old 13-01-2007, 06:16 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Hamish writes
Of course if fuel shortage forces back the horse and plough it need not be
just 19th century technology,

Horses are terribly energy-inefficient. They probably need 2ac + 2T oats
per year to function effectively. A 1hp (OK 3HP) steam engine would
probably do more work and need fewer resources.

--
Oz

Old 13-01-2007, 06:17 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes
Obviously it takes grain, but then does it take less grain to do the daily
deliveries with a horse drawn cart or the bioethanol powered van.

A small steam engine would be preferable, or even better a small
biodiesel powered diesel engine.

--
Oz