Old 13-01-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slightly strange tree fern question

One of our tree ferns has an acacia growing out of its trunk. Ray is all
for just cutting it off but I'm hoping/wondering if, it can be carefully
extracted and potted up. I know they often get all kinds of things growing
out of them but I think this is the first acacia we've had! Has anyone
tried this 'method' of propagation? ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
One of our tree ferns has an acacia growing out of its trunk. Ray is all
for just cutting it off but I'm hoping/wondering if, it can be carefully
extracted and potted up. I know they often get all kinds of things growing
out of them but I think this is the first acacia we've had! Has anyone
tried this 'method' of propagation? ;-)
Possibly Acacia melanoxylon? Yes, if you are careful untangling the roots you can take it off and pot it up.
Old 13-01-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

One of our tree ferns has an acacia growing out of its trunk. Ray is all
for just cutting it off but I'm hoping/wondering if, it can be carefully
extracted and potted up. I know they often get all kinds of things growing
out of them but I think this is the first acacia we've had! Has anyone
tried this 'method' of propagation? ;-)

It is most likely to be Acacia melanoxylon - a species often found
growing in association with Dicksonia antarctica. The seeds become
lodged in the leaf bases of the ferns and start to germinate when
moisture levels are raised sufficiently. You'll need to dig into the
tree-fern trunk quite deeply to extract the Acacia, but it should
transplant quite easily and the fern is unlikely to suffer from the
experience. You can often get an interesting varieties of native
Australian ferns which germinate on the trunks as well. I've had
Histiopteris incisa, Microsorum diversifolium and Pellaea falcata
appear on mine and all of them were welcome. Ferns such as these
growing on the trunks of tree ferns do no harm whatsoever and can be
left to establish.

Old 13-01-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
One of our tree ferns has an acacia growing out of its trunk. Ray is all
for just cutting it off but I'm hoping/wondering if, it can be carefully
extracted and potted up. I know they often get all kinds of things
growing
out of them but I think this is the first acacia we've had! Has anyone
tried this 'method' of propagation? ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Snap. I extracted two little chaps and potted them up last summer. They have
grown and are now about 6" tall. Apparently there are a lot of different
acacias who hitch rides on tree ferns and I am not certain which one I have
got. Incidentally the ones left on the tree fern are still OK and green.