Old 13-01-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bird boxes

I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Old 13-01-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sally H wrote:
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Trees are very difficult to kill if healthy, banging a nail in won't.
However the problem comes if the tree is cut down, it could well injure,
or even kill the chainsaw operative, and certainly wreck the chain.

Old 13-01-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sally H wrote:
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Healthy trees are very difficult to kill, a nail certainly will not,
though there is an urban myth that copper nails will. However nails in
trees are bad news if someone is working on it with a chain saw and hit
the nail. That could well injure the operative, and most certainly ruin
the chain.
Old 13-01-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
sally H wrote:
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Healthy trees are very difficult to kill, a nail certainly will not,
though there is an urban myth that copper nails will. However nails in
trees are bad news if someone is working on it with a chain saw and hit
the nail. That could well injure the operative, and most certainly ruin
the chain.

Sorry folks, I don't know what happened there, the email failed to send
(it said) but seemed to multi-plicate.
Old 13-01-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up

around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

Three- or four-inch nails shouldn't kill a tree; but I suppose there's
some risk of admitting an infection, especially with the plum family.
They would certainly spoil the tree as timber, but that's unlikely to
matter. You can use galvanised steel wire (from the diy shop or
ironmonger) round the trunk and through the holes in the box. This
should be replaced every year so it doesn't get embedded in the bark or
restrict growth. (Black army telephone wire is wonderful stuff for all
sorts of bodging: it used to be common and cheap in surplus shops, but I
don't know about now.)

I'm guessing that if the box is a bit wobbly the birds may not like it,
so you may need to jam a wedge behind it if you can't get the wire
tight.

--
Mike.

Old 13-01-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Alan

Old 13-01-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Alan

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails. Are there
any nails in particular you would recommend?

Old 14-01-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

sally H wrote:
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because

thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Tie them on.
When you clean the boxes out (you will, won't you?) you can adjust,
re-fit the ties.
But should you forget, as the tree trunk expands it will grow round
the tie with - IME - little damage to the tree.
Place them with the entrance facing roughly South-east, not close
together and away from paths and high traffic areas (seed feeders,
etc.) - they do appreciate some privacy.

--
ned

Old 14-01-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sally H wrote:

I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Just don't use a copper nail and you will be OK, and remove them when
you finally take the box down. You may well need a couple of years
before they are occupied, but if you get them up now there is always a
chance that they will get occupants this year.

Old 14-01-2007, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

om...

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails. Are
there any nails in particular you would recommend?

I wonder if a screw would be a better bet, as you could undo it a little as
the tree grew bigger, and when you had finished with the box it could be
removed completely.

Alan

Bird boxes David Hill United Kingdom 18 13-11-2012 01:37 PM
Silly Question About Bird Boxes Janet Bennett United Kingdom 6 20-05-2005 06:20 PM
Bird boxes Emm18 United Kingdom 5 29-04-2005 07:45 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Bird nesting boxes eddy United Kingdom 15 14-03-2003 08:53 AM