Old 14-01-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bird boxes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
om...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks

because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails.

Are
there any nails in particular you would recommend?

I wonder if a screw would be a better bet, as you could undo it a

little as
the tree grew bigger, and when you had finished with the box it could

be
removed completely.

I haven't tried, but I imagine corrosion would make that impossible --
especially with oaks.

--
Mike.

Old 14-01-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

om...

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Alan

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails. Are there
any nails in particular you would recommend?

I've put up hundreds (well, nearly), of bird boxes as part of my work and if I have
to use a nail, then I use aluminium ones. This is the safest option in case the tree
is ever attacked by a chainsaw. They are a bit expensive, but better that than a
chainsaw operator minus some bodily parts.

HTH
Liz

Old 14-01-2007, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:13:30 -0000, "Liz" wrote:

news:u8ydnRd2R8cR1zTYnZ2dnUVZ8sCvnZ2d@brightview. com...

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Alan

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails. Are there
any nails in particular you would recommend?

I've put up hundreds (well, nearly), of bird boxes as part of my work and if I

have
to use a nail, then I use aluminium ones. This is the safest option in case the

tree
is ever attacked by a chainsaw. They are a bit expensive, but better that than a
chainsaw operator minus some bodily parts.

Ah good, forget about nails. What's the best place to position a bird box?

Put them facing east or north-east - even to south east if it has shade. Put boxes
where they are going to be sheltered from the sun, wind, and rain. If the box faces
west or south the young may get "cooked" on a hot, sunny day.
Don't put them too high - a common mistake as you have to be able to reach them
safely in the late winter/early spring to clean them out to prevent parasite
build-up. However, put them high enough to keep them safe from cats.
Don't put them near bird feeders.
Don't put them where there is a lot of human disturbance.
If wooden, don't treat them with nasty wood preservatives.
Try to have a slight forward tilt on them so the wind/rain doesn't go straight in the
hole.
Put the box on a tree which has a nearby branch/twigs for the newly fledged young to
hop on to.
If you have problens with tree rats (Grey Squirrels) and/or Great Spotted Woodpeckers
which will break into bird boxes then go for "woodcrete" type boxes such as Schwegler
boxes.
.......I could go on :-)

HTH
Liz

Old 14-01-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/1/07 22:59, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

Thanks Liz!

Could you be kind enough to snip your posts to point, Martin? Many thanks.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-01-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/1/07 10:57, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:51:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Sacha, you should stop using @privacy.net, I think it has changed hands.

I don't understand you. Don't a lot of people use " so as not
to use their real address on newsgroups?

Old 15-01-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

om...

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks

because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails.

Are
there any nails in particular you would recommend?

I wonder if a screw would be a better bet, as you could undo it a

little as
the tree grew bigger, and when you had finished with the box it could

be
removed completely.

I haven't tried, but I imagine corrosion would make that impossible --
especially with oaks.

I was thinking of a brass screw, which should not corrode, unless there was
acid on the tree.

--
Mike.

Old 15-01-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:48:22 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

om...

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks

because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails.

Are
there any nails in particular you would recommend?

I wonder if a screw would be a better bet, as you could undo it a

little as
the tree grew bigger, and when you had finished with the box it could

be
removed completely.

I haven't tried, but I imagine corrosion would make that impossible --
especially with oaks.

Not if the screw is the right stainless steel.

Hadn't thought of stainless steel!

--

Martin

Old 15-01-2007, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:10:00 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

or a silk tie if you want to add a touch of class.

I'm not posh enough for that!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 15-01-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/1/07 15:08, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:29:03 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 15/1/07 10:57, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:51:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Sacha, you should stop using @privacy.net, I think it has changed hands.

I don't understand you. Don't a lot of people use " so as not
to use their real address on newsgroups?

They did/do, but if you look at
www.privacy.net or get somebody to send a
message to your privacy address you will find that things aren't the same as
when you, I and others switched to privacy.net addresses.

Yup. Had a look and I see what you mean. Now I've got to remember how to
change the address in Entourage! sigh......

Old 15-01-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:46:55 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. ..

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

om...

"sally H" wrote in message
[...]

There is acid in trees. Brass is an alloy of ...

Yeh, yeh, ok wasn't thinking, again!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 16-01-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:49:34 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

or a silk tie if you want to add a touch of class.

I'm not posh enough for that!

I was thinking of sally H :-)
--

Martin

How did you know that I am posh?

Old 16-01-2007, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike in Spain" wrote in message
oups.com...

sally H wrote:

I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around
the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

thanks

Just don't use a copper nail and you will be OK, and remove them when
you finally take the box down. You may well need a couple of years
before they are occupied, but if you get them up now there is always a
chance that they will get occupants this year.

Thanks everyone.

Old 16-01-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sally H wrote:
Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails. Are there
any nails in particular you would recommend?

Screws.
Passivated twin-start wood screws with pozidriv or supadriv heads.
Then the birdboxes can easily be taken down for repair if they get
damaged, or moved, and nothing gets left in the tree. Put a smear of
petroleum jelly in the screwdriver recess when finished (or bark
banding grease, or similar) to keep it pristine for years. Come to
think about it, some on the thread should help if you are really
worried about disease, although I would not be, and make it easier to
drive too.

Bird boxes David Hill United Kingdom 18 13-11-2012 01:37 PM
Silly Question About Bird Boxes Janet Bennett United Kingdom 6 20-05-2005 06:20 PM
Bird boxes Emm18 United Kingdom 5 29-04-2005 07:45 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Bird nesting boxes eddy United Kingdom 15 14-03-2003 08:53 AM