Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird boxes

In the latest Gardeners world Competition they have a novel design for a
bird box in the comp.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
In the latest Gardeners world Competition they have a novel design for a
bird box in the comp.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html

Interesting. Several things on that site I could make. I thought the angle
steel top was a bit over the top as it were. I may well do the plant pot
bird house though, and some knobs.

Steve

Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"David Hill" wrote in message
In the latest Gardeners world Competition they have a novel design for a
bird box in the comp.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html

Interesting. Several things on that site I could make. I thought the angle
steel top was a bit over the top as it were. I may well do the plant pot
bird house though, and some knobs.

Steve

At almost £52 each, I think the price is way way OTT

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html

Interesting. Several things on that site I could make. I thought the angle
steel top was a bit over the top as it were. I may well do the plant pot
bird house though, and some knobs.

Steve

At almost £52 each, I think the price is way way OTT

I quite agree, but I'm going to have a go at the flowerpot nest box.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 17:43, David Hill wrote:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html

Interesting. Several things on that site I could make. I thought the
angle
steel top was a bit over the top as it were. I may well do the plant pot
bird house though, and some knobs.

Steve

At almost £52 each, I think the price is way way OTT

I quite agree, but I'm going to have a go at the flowerpot nest box.

Not very elegant, and I can't see the bolt and wing nut arrangement
working very well in practice

Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 11/11/2012 17:43, David Hill wrote:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/win/wi...rd-box/76.html

Interesting. Several things on that site I could make. I thought the
angle
steel top was a bit over the top as it were. I may well do the plant
pot
bird house though, and some knobs.

Steve

At almost £52 each, I think the price is way way OTT

I quite agree, but I'm going to have a go at the flowerpot nest box.

Not very elegant, and I can't see the bolt and wing nut arrangement
working very well in practice

I think the answer to that is to use a length of studding, fixed to a board,
with a nut and big washer securing the plant pot to the board, then the wing
nut at the end, and fix the board to your wall/tree/whatever.

Steve

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 19:43, shazzbat wrote:
[...]

You could always put a smaller circle of ply in the bottom of the pot to
take the bolt that holds the outer disc, and screw the pot to the wall,
tree or what ever through the base plate and through the centre hole in
the base of the pot.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:22:45 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

You could always put a smaller circle of ply in the bottom of the pot to
take the bolt that holds the outer disc, and screw the pot to the wall,
tree or what ever through the base plate and through the centre hole in
the base of the pot.

and where will Bill and Ben live?
--

Martin

I don't know about Ben, but I'm staying put :-)

Bill

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:40:34 +0100, Martin wrote:

and where will Bill and Ben live?

Good question and what will Little Weed have to say.

Looking at it any potential resident might not like having a bit of
studding projecting across their nesting space either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:23:39 -0000, Roger Tonkin wrote:

At almost ú52 each, I think the price is way way OTT

£51.90 is the price of a set of three bee tubes and a flower pot bird
box. Tubes are £21.95 for 3 and the bird box £29.95. Still rather over
priced though but not at bad as £51.90...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You could always put a smaller circle of ply in the bottom of the pot to
take the bolt that holds the outer disc, and screw the pot to the wall,
tree or what ever through the base plate and through the centre hole in
the base of the pot.

and where will Bill and Ben live?

I thought I had made it clear, small disc in the bottom of the pot that
has the bolt fitted through it, this plate and the pot are fixed to the
tree or what ever wit a screw through the centre hole in the pot.
The bolt will reach right up the length of the pot and through a hole on
the Larger disc that just fits inside the top of the pot, as the pot
tapers the tightening of the bolt with a wing nut or something holds it
firmly in place, Tweety pie then has the space between the base and the
top disc to set up home.
Is that clear now?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:17:33 +0100, Martin wrote:

and where will Bill and Ben live?

Good question and what will Little Weed have to say.

Get that 'kin Roundup off my leaves. Was it Bill or was it Ben?

ROFL!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-11-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:04:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

wrote:

You could always put a smaller circle of ply in the bottom of the
pot to take the bolt that holds the outer disc, and screw the pot to
the wall, tree or what ever through the base plate and through the
centre hole in the base of the pot.

and where will Bill and Ben live?

In my memories

along with Weed.

Never been keen on any type of weed. When I nuke them they flopalot.

Baz
Old 13-11-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now is the best time to site nest boxes, according to the RSPB:-
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...ds/siting.aspx

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/Nestbo...cm9-173857.pdf

bird boxes sally H United Kingdom 28 16-01-2007 12:35 PM
Silly Question About Bird Boxes Janet Bennett United Kingdom 6 20-05-2005 06:20 PM
Bird boxes Emm18 United Kingdom 5 29-04-2005 07:45 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Bird nesting boxes eddy United Kingdom 15 14-03-2003 08:53 AM