Old 14-01-2007, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Box hedging help.

Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.

Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.

What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest of
the plants?

Here is a picture of the plant.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

Kev

Old 14-01-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:
Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.
Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.
What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest of
the plants?
Here is a picture of the plant.
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

Usually waterlogging after a dry spell does this. I use lots of buxus
(lavender and rosemary) on my allotment forming enclosures and grow
salads, herbs and lots of sorrel at the centre (I like the contrast of
the leaves colours but also experiment with designs). I often find a
discolored branch. I simply remove and burn just in case it's a disease
like blight. I cut right right back, as far as I can reach but I
wouldn't change the whole plant though.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0905/buxus.asp

Old 14-01-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:
Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.

Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.

What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest of
the plants?

Here is a picture of the plant.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

Kev

Kev, I have seen this or something similar and it was caused by an
animal spraying it, probably a cat. Cut off the affected part only and
hopefully the plant will make up again in the coming seasons.

Judith at home in England

Old 14-01-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/1/07 16:19, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.

Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.

What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest of
the plants?

Here is a picture of the plant.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

There is a nasty disease doing this sort of thing to box. You could take a
piece carefully quarantined in a plastic bag to a local nursery to ask for
their opinion. Otherwise, I wouldn't take any chances. Take it up and
burn it unless you can be sure it's not caused by e.g. animal urine. Do
foxes come into your garden at night, for example? To the left of your
photo there appear to be shoots similarly affected, or is that a trick of
the light?
And if you think it's the dreaded disease, I'm afraid I would suggest that
you do not replace it with more box. Can you use another plant as a sort of
'punctuation point' between the diseased boxes so as to make it look like a
deliberate choice.
We first saw this at Buckland Abbey where the neat little box hedges around
the herb garden were devastated by this disease.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...drocladium.asp

And if the worst comes to the worst and you have to replace the lot, can you
use rosemary or lavender or the shrubby Hypericum?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-01-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Draven wrote:
Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.

Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.

What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest
of
the plants?

Here is a picture of the plant.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

Kev

Kev, I have seen this or something similar and it was caused by an
animal spraying it, probably a cat. Cut off the affected part only and
hopefully the plant will make up again in the coming seasons.

Judith at home in England

Judith,
I think you have the answer.
I also get dog mess in the area so I would expect they pee in the area too.

I'm going to use my ultra sonic animal scarer in the area and see if it
helps.
I'll cut the affected part off in the morning.

Kev

Old 14-01-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

Draven wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's water logging have I have sandy soil that you could use
in a egg timer.

Kev

Old 14-01-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:
I don't think it's water logging have I have sandy soil that you could use
in a egg timer.

Ho good. Get that cat outta here then ;o)

Old 14-01-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

SNIP
Judith,
I think you have the answer.
I also get dog mess in the area so I would expect they pee in the area too.

I'm going to use my ultra sonic animal scarer in the area and see if it
helps.
I'll cut the affected part off in the morning.

Kev

Off the box, dog or cat?
Old 14-01-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Draven wrote:
I don't think it's water logging have I have sandy soil that you could
use
in a egg timer.

Ho good. Get that cat outta here then ;o)

I have a cat but she won't step a foot outside.
It's the dogs that are doing it.
Kev