Old 18-01-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The tally so far....

Sacha wrote:
One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6'
tall) from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power
lines by inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on
the corner of our front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's
supposed to be abating but I wish it would get on with it.

four different sections of front fence gone, two of them smashed, one back
section smashed.
Chimneystacks fallen into main road in town centre (St Helens) closing it
off.
Part of Saints RLFC stadium destroyed, falling masonry and electrical cables
dangling loose..this has caused the first game for months (a friendly) to be
postponed, and I only bought tickets last night online!
A huge tree fell over in local cemetary,destroyed about a dozen gravestones
and left a hole 8ft deep and ten feet wide- I managed to get some pics but
they aren't very good:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2upscp0.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/2qvyusj.jpg
(notice the gravestone in this one, at right angles to the ground)

http://i18.tinypic.com/29dzf5i.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2nb60w5.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/48xtd7l.jpg

Old 18-01-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
I had an appointment at a doctors' surgery and it took me ages to get
there as I had to keep on taking detours to get there and now finally
that I am home, there are 3 trees down in the garden,I won't even
veture out there tonight as slates are flying everywhere. The
treehouse is still standing but the trampoline has gone up in the air,
came down and the legs have become undone, even though it was tied to
an apple tree.

To drive home tonight was scarey, flooded roads round the Mill and
Community cops everywhere making cars go single file to get through
fallen trees.

I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

If you're thinking of 1987 'the hurricane' ....

We were in Sevenoaks at the time

We woke up to find a poplar lying across the road just in front of our
car, another just behind it, further poplars at about 20 ft intervals
across the road as far as we could see in each direction. There was no
electricity, no water, no phone. We couldn't see out the back - the
entire garden was filled with our fallen mature Bramley.

We heard that there were over 100 trees across the railway line between
our station and the next one 5 miles up the line.

When, a week later, we were able to drive along one of the A roads, we
found, not a tunnel under the beech trees as we were used to, but views
miles across the valley - hundreds of mature trees felled, looking from
the air like so many matchsticks.

--
Kay
Old 18-01-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains
these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from Sacha contains
these words:

One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over
6' tall) from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the
power lines by inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30
feet on the corner of our front drive, missing the wall by inches.
It's supposed to be abating
but I wish it would get on with it.

...and in the meantime people have been killed in these
storms....just trying to keep things in perspective.

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the
amount of time that storms are given on the national news when they
happen in *England*, especially the *south* of England. The same
happens in Scotland,
and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

It is because england is MUCH more important than scotland, wherever
that is!

The English media certainly appear to think so... 8-(

Just like the Scottish media think Scotland is much more important than
England, Wales, Ireland etc...your arguments don't really stand up, bad
weather is the norm in Scotland, it's not in the South of England and when
it happens it's headline news....I'm sure if Stornoway was baking in 35C
heat tomorrow, that too would take all the headlines

Old 18-01-2007, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

1976 was the Year of the Drought. 1987 was the year of the hurricane
in parts of the SW like the Cis, where I lived at the time but here,
that was 1990!

Uhm, right, thanks for that

Confused at home

I'm confused most of the time!

That's 'cos you're an old codger, Alan.

Hey, don't tell everyone!

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 19-01-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

If you're thinking of 1987 'the hurricane' ....

You know me Kay, I get my dates a bit wrong!

We were in Sevenoaks at the time

I didn't know you lived there!!

Kay

I have just been out to dinner and the taxi had to go back twice to
find another route, you should see the trees that are down. However,
it's very quiet now and I don't know if that is more worrying.

Judith at home

Old 19-01-2007, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Could be. We had a lull here and I was hopeful, relaxed, even but the

damned wind is starting up again, whistling down the chimneys, roaring round
the house, whining through the windows. Horrible!
--
Sacha

I'm going to bed before it starts here.

Judith off to bed

Old 19-01-2007, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/1/07 00:16, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Could be. We had a lull here and I was hopeful, relaxed, even but the

damned wind is starting up again, whistling down the chimneys, roaring round
the house, whining through the windows. Horrible!
--
Sacha

I'm going to bed before it starts here.

Judith off to bed

Good idea and me ditto.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Phil L wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains
these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:

[...]
[...]

I'm one of those who deplore the London-centred nature of a lot of the
news; but I really am surprised by this revelation that
_Scottish_-based media don't properly cover dramatic news from Scotland
itself. As I mentioned in the earlier message, the English and Welsh
regional media are generally focussed on regional news and issues to
the point of being positively boring: "And now, over to Blodwen
Llewelyn in Llanfihangel-ar-Arth for the latest on the egg-and-spoon
race. . ." Conversely, we used to joke that if the balloon went up, a
local paper's billboard would read "Oxford man dies in nuclear
holocaust". Is Scotland so different?

--
Mike.

Old 19-01-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6' tall)
from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power lines by
inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on the corner of our
front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's supposed to be abating but I
wish it would get on with it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I hear storms are chasing Europe this weekend.

Old 20-01-2007, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Anne Jackson wrote:
[...]
...and in the meantime people have been killed in these

storms....just
trying to keep things in perspective.

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the

amount
of time that storms are given on the national news when they

happen in
*England*, especially the *south* of England. The same happens in
Scotland, and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

That's shocking. You mean it's ignored on UK national news when

people
are _killed_ by storms in Scotland? That it's barely mentioned in
regional news, of course, is a choice made in Scotland: but even

more
shocking for that. In contrast, the various English regions really

go to
town on stories like that. Something to do with Calvinism, do you

think?

:-)) I can see that tongue bulge in your cheek for here and I don't
need google earth to do it.

Old 20-01-2007, 04:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the

amount
of time that storms are given on the national news when they

happen in
*England*, especially the *south* of England. The same happens in
Scotland,
and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

It is because england is MUCH more important than scotland, wherever

that
is!

The latest "drama' about the Bollywood actress and the UK "Big
Brother" show has hit the media here in Oz. I was very amused (and
quite sad) when I read that one of the (current/former) super dumb
inmates of this "show" thought that "East Angular" was a "foreign"
country. How delicious and how sad.