Old 18-01-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The tally so far....

One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6' tall)
from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power lines by
inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on the corner of our
front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's supposed to be abating but I
wish it would get on with it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6' tall)
from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power lines by
inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on the corner of our
front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's supposed to be abating but I
wish it would get on with it.

It's very strong, and worrying a bit, here in Manc. Early on, in our
car, we were passed on the road by a tumbling xmas tree! My son just
sent me a picture of our front garden - 2 panels of the fence are in
bits, one ended up in the neighbours garden and he says branches, some
as huge as logs are falling all around the house - tiles and debris
flying everywhere as I speak from the centre of manc (5th floor). It's
not calming down at all. In my son's school, a tree fell in the carpark
and totally obliterated a car and the park opposite (Alexandra Park)
had 3 trees uprooted. Kids went to investigate and I heard a bit of
disapointment in my youngest voice when he said nobody got hurt ...

Cats have totally gone bizerk.

Old 18-01-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6' tall)
from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power lines by
inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on the corner of our
front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's supposed to be abating but I
wish it would get on with it.
--
Sacha

I had an appointment at a doctors' surgery and it took me ages to get
there as I had to keep on taking detours to get there and now finally
that I am home, there are 3 trees down in the garden,I won't even
veture out there tonight as slates are flying everywhere. The
treehouse is still standing but the trampoline has gone up in the air,
came down and the legs have become undone, even though it was tied to
an apple tree.

To drive home tonight was scarey, flooded roads round the Mill and
Community cops everywhere making cars go single file to get through
fallen trees.

I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

Judith at home

Old 18-01-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

Judith at home

p.s. One of the Daleks has taken off, I will have to go looking
tomorrow!

Judith at home

Old 18-01-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/1/07 17:26, in article ,
"Mel" wrote:

Greenhouse smashed to smithereens, garden shed smashed to bits, most of
fence blown to pieces, tiles falling off roof. I daren't check my allotment
!

Very grim indeed. Stay indoors!

Old 18-01-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/1/07 17:27, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a very horrible journey, Judith. Glad you're safely home and I
hope others are, too or will be soon.

I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

1976 was the Year of the Drought. 1987 was the year of the hurricane in
parts of the SW like the Cis, where I lived at the time but here, that was
1990!

Old 18-01-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

1976 was the Year of the Drought. 1987 was the year of the hurricane in
parts of the SW like the Cis, where I lived at the time but here, that was
1990!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Uhm, right, thanks for that

Confused at home

Old 18-01-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My goodness! Having just watched the news ans read here, I realise just
how close the carnage came. It was blustery for part of the day here,
but not really that much worse than an energetically windy, winter's
day. Nothing toppled over and nothing was damaged.

My office is at the other end of the bay, a few yards from Paignton Zoo
and things were quite a bit different there, although not a patch on
anything I've since seen reported. Counting my lucky stars!

Old 18-01-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/1/07 18:39, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

1976 was the Year of the Drought. 1987 was the year of the hurricane in
parts of the SW like the Cis, where I lived at the time but here, that was
1990!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Uhm, right, thanks for that

Confused at home

Safest place to be confused. ;-) I didn't think the Hurricane of 87 got up
as far as you, did it? I know my ex husband was expecting our children to
fly out of Jersey to stay with him that day and he lived in Berkshire. When
I rang him to say I couldn't even get them to the airport he had no idea
what I was talking about! It hit London though, IIRC and seemed to describe
a very narrow and particular pattern.

Old 18-01-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:
[...]
...and in the meantime people have been killed in these storms....just
trying to keep things in perspective.

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the amount
of time that storms are given on the national news when they happen in
*England*, especially the *south* of England. The same happens in
Scotland, and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

That's shocking. You mean it's ignored on UK national news when people
are _killed_ by storms in Scotland? That it's barely mentioned in
regional news, of course, is a choice made in Scotland: but even more
shocking for that. In contrast, the various English regions really go to
town on stories like that. Something to do with Calvinism, do you think?

--
Mike.

Old 18-01-2007, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

Sacha wrote:
I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

1976 was the Year of the Drought. 1987 was the year of the hurricane in
parts of the SW like the Cis, where I lived at the time but here, that
was
1990!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Uhm, right, thanks for that

Confused at home

I'm confused most of the time!

Alan

Old 18-01-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

One 100 + year old Macrocarpa about 30 of Ray's paces (he's over 6' tall)
from the churchyard onto our adjoining path, missing the power lines by
inches and one 12 year old Scots pine of about 30 feet on the corner of
our
front drive, missing the wall by inches. It's supposed to be abating but
wish it would get on with it.

...and in the meantime people have been killed in these storms....just
trying to keep things in perspective.

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the amount
of time that storms are given on the national news when they happen in
*England*, especially the *south* of England. The same happens in
Scotland,
and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

It is because england is MUCH more important than scotland, wherever that
is!

Alan