Old 16-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Sharon Brackenbury

Default Natures Predictions

I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures Predictions -
Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural Occurrences". Examples would
be cows laying down meaning rain, how high you carry a baby predicts the
sex, and how high crows build their nests predicting a good summer etc. If
anyone would like to let me have any of these sayings that they can
remember, then I would be happy to put their name along side it in my book.

Old 16-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Mike

In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes
I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures Predictions -
Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural Occurrences". Examples would
be cows laying down meaning rain, how high you carry a baby predicts the
sex, and how high crows build their nests predicting a good summer etc. If
anyone would like to let me have any of these sayings that they can
remember, then I would be happy to put their name along side it in my book.

Lots of Berries on the bushes and trees a bad winter

Why does cows lying down mean rain?

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 16-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes
I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures

Predictions -
Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural Occurrences". Examples

would
be cows laying down meaning rain, how high you carry a baby predicts the
sex, and how high crows build their nests predicting a good summer etc.

If
anyone would like to let me have any of these sayings that they can
remember, then I would be happy to put their name along side it in my

book.

Lots of Berries on the bushes and trees a bad winter

Why does cows lying down mean rain?

LOL that was always my question when I was a child. They mght just have been
tired

Old 16-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Andy

Red sky at night, shepherd's house is alight : )

Old 16-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Ophelia uttered:

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes
I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures

Predictions -
Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural Occurrences". Examples

would
be cows laying down meaning rain, how high you carry a baby predicts the
sex, and how high crows build their nests predicting a good summer etc.

If
anyone would like to let me have any of these sayings that they can
remember, then I would be happy to put their name along side it in my

book.

Lots of Berries on the bushes and trees a bad winter

Why does cows lying down mean rain?

LOL that was always my question when I was a child. They mght just have been
tired

We always thought it was because the grass they lay on would be dry after
the rain, and there would be no worms on the surface so they could continue
munching as soon as the rain stopped !!
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....

Old 16-04-2003, 11:20 PM
ned

Mike wrote:
In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes
I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures
Predictions - Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural
Occurrences". Examples would be cows laying down meaning rain, how
high you carry a baby predicts the sex, and how high crows build
their nests predicting a good summer etc. If anyone would like to
let me have any of these sayings that they can remember, then I
would be happy to put their name along side it in my book.

Lots of Berries on the bushes and trees a bad winter

Why does cows lying down mean rain?

...... Even a cow knows that if you lie on wet grass you will catch
cold.
Therefore, doesn't it make sense to preserve a bit of dry grass to lie
on before it starts raining?

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.
;-)

Old 16-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Simon Avery

Mike wrote:

Hello Mike

M Why does cows lying down mean rain?

Old wives' tale. They lie down when they want to.

Old 16-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Mike

In article , ned
writes
Mike wrote:
In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes
[...]

well it just goes to show that I didn't use any common sense or I would
have seen that ;-(

Thick Mike

Old 16-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Mike

In article , Sharon
Brackenbury writes

Examples would
be cows laying down meaning rain,

How do cows 'know' it's going to rain? I've never seen any looking at
the weather forecast.

Old 16-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Sharon Brackenbury uttered:

I am putting together a book with a working title of " Natures Predictions -
Traditional Ways of Predicting Life's Natural Occurrences". Examples would
be cows laying down meaning rain, how high you carry a baby predicts the
sex, and how high crows build their nests predicting a good summer etc. If
anyone would like to let me have any of these sayings that they can
remember, then I would be happy to put their name along side it in my book.

Here's a few we remember from a while back....

Bad weather gets better, a bad man never does.
When the wind shifts against the sun, trust it not, for back it will run.
If you lie down with dogs, you are going to get fleas.
Whistling woman and crowing hen never come to a good end.
Clear moon, frost soon.
April showers bring May flowers.
Seagull, seagull sit on the sand, it's never good weather when you're on
the land.
Ring around the moon, storm coming soon.

Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:15:16 +0100, Bigjon wrote:

We always thought it was because the grass they lay on would be dry after
the rain, and there would be no worms on the surface so they could continue
munching as soon as the rain stopped !!

The cows round here must have perfected the five day forecast then -
'cos as I cycled home past the cows this afternoon I noted they were
all lying down, despite the heat and sunshine.

I think they just get bored of standing up. One cow sits down and all
the others think 'Hey, what a great idea' - so they all sit down for
an hour or so until one cow gets bored and decides to have a bit of a
stand-up. Then all the other cows think 'Hey, what a great idea' (
cows are very susceptible to peer pressure, you see ) and they all get
up again.

Of course it could just be the cow's national sport - making human
observers scan the horizon for clouds.
They probably score points depending on which direction the observer
looks first - with the ultimate goal being to get said observer to
stick a finger in his gob and hold it up to the prevailing wind.
I'm sure if you listen carefully at this point you'll hear a very
faint 'Yaaay' from the cows.

It has been said that cows can naturally tune into radio
transmissions, their default frequency being that of Radio 4. They
have never, ever missed a weather forecast... or an episode of the
Archers - which explains a lot about their slightly distant, insane
expressions.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 17-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Bigjon

Recently, Stephen Howard uttered:

[...]

He He... like it !
Old 17-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:08:48 +0100, Mike
wrote:

Lots of Berries on the bushes and trees a bad winter

Yep, the Rowan tree is the true guide .

Anyway, you naughty thing you, there is no such thing as a "bad
winter". There are "hard winters" - which coincidentally are very good
at giving pests a difficult ride etc. etc.

Ok Ok . There are no such things as pests, only animals/plants
inconvenient to homo sapiens.

Pejorative words. Avoiding them? Round and round in circles .......
goes the Teddy Bear. One step, two step, tickly under there.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 17-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ophelia

"Bigjon" wrote in message

We always thought it was because the grass they lay on would be dry after
the rain, and there would be no worms on the surface so they could

continue
munching as soon as the rain stopped !!

Mabe but have you never seen them galloping to the shelter of trees when the
rain starts

Old 17-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Mike

In article , Hussein M.