Old 21-01-2007, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default favourite seed potato

What are your favourite seed potatoes? I am usually very successful with
Accent and pink fir apple, but I'd love to hear about your favourites.
Sally

Old 21-01-2007, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sally H wrote:

What are your favourite seed potatoes? I am usually very successful with
Accent and pink fir apple, but I'd love to hear about your favourites.
Sally

them there fir things are just too fiddly to scrape we like Charlotte

Old 21-01-2007, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"sally H" writes:

| What are your favourite seed potatoes? I am usually very successful with
| Accent and pink fir apple, but I'd love to hear about your favourites.
| Sally

I have had to give up because of spraing, but mine were Belle de Fontenay
and Champion. I am going to retry with Belle de Fontenay and Red Duke of
York, because first earlies seemed to not suffer too badly from spraing.

Charlotte and King Edward were close. Pink Fir Apple is terribly
sensitive to blight, which I get badly, but is good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2007, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ((snip))

I have had to give up because of spraing.

Nick, just in case you may not have realised, there has been testing for
Spraing resistance.

The following FE have good resistance....(out of 10)
Accord (7)
Arran Pilot (9)
Dunrod (7)
Home Guard (7)
Lady Christi (8)
Premiere (8)

The following SE or MC show good resistance ...
Ceasar (7)
Charlotte (8)
Fambo (7)
Fianna (8)
Hermes (8 also good slug resistance)
Lady Rosetta (8 ditto)
Record (8)
Rooster (8)
Saturna (7)
Saxon (7)
Slaney (8)

Hope that helps.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-01-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Nick, just in case you may not have realised, there has been testing for
| Spraing resistance.

I know, but hadn't seen your list - thanks very much for that! The
reason that I gave up is that I am not interested in growing any
potato, but wanted specific ones because of their flavour and similar
properties. There is no other potato like Champion that I know of,
for example.

I am retrying with first earlies. If this fails, I may retry with
Charlotte, but I don't recognise any of the others as being excellent
eating potatoes. I will look further, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after

"Bob Hobden"wrote

| Nick, just in case you may not have realised, there has been testing
for
| Spraing resistance.

I know, but hadn't seen your list - thanks very much for that! The
reason that I gave up is that I am not interested in growing any
potato, but wanted specific ones because of their flavour and similar
properties. There is no other potato like Champion that I know of,
for example.

I am retrying with first earlies. If this fails, I may retry with
Charlotte, but I don't recognise any of the others as being excellent
eating potatoes. I will look further, though.

Of the First Earlies I mentioned ...

Accord...creamy distinctive flavour (whatever that means??)
Arran Pilot...floury..good flavour, high yield, but needs mild spring and
good soil.
Home Guard... waxy..best eaten young.
Premiere...waxy... good flavour, excellent cooking qualities, blight and
scab resistant too.

SE & MC.
Charlotte (SE)...waxy..good for salads.
Fambo (SE)..waxy..good all-round cooking qualities
Fianna(MC)..firm..excellent flavour, good cooking qualities and storage.
Hermes (MC)..high dry matter..well flavoured..used for crisps, blight
resistant.
Lady Rosetta (SE)..red..high dry matter..good flavour..
Record (MC)..high dry matter.. great flavour..excellent for baking, chips
and crisps.
Saturna (EMC)..floury..described as Europe's best frying potato, tasty.
Heavy foliage.

So it looks like a few might be worth a try to see if you like them, and if
they like your soil/conditions.

We are going to try something new this year as our Spey got Spraing last
year on the new plot but then it does have a resistance of 1. Shame, it's a
good spud and quite slug resistant.
For MC will probably give Hermes & Record a try together with Romano (which
didn't suffer last year).
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-01-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| So it looks like a few might be worth a try to see if you like them, and if
| they like your soil/conditions.

Thanks, but they all seem to be mostly modern mass-production varieties,
and I really can't be bothered with them. Yes, there are better and
worse, but I don't have enough area to waste on such things. Especially
since I love the sort of squashes you can't generally buy ....

Champion beat King Edward into a cocked hat for flavour and baking
quality, which indicates what I am really looking for. Charlotte is
OK for salads and new potatoes, but Belle de Fontenay is a lot better.

| We are going to try something new this year as our Spey got Spraing last
| year on the new plot but then it does have a resistance of 1. Shame, it's a
| good spud and quite slug resistant.

I don't have slug problems with potatoes!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ((snip))

[...]

It would have helped if you had posted this list yeasterday, but I've just
been out to buy seed potatoes and none of those you mentioned are in the
ones I bought!(:-(

Alan

Old 21-01-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| So it looks like a few might be worth a try to see if you like them,
and if
| they like your soil/conditions.

Thanks, but they all seem to be mostly modern mass-production varieties,
and I really can't be bothered with them. Yes, there are better and
worse, but I don't have enough area to waste on such things. Especially
since I love the sort of squashes you can't generally buy ....

Champion beat King Edward into a cocked hat for flavour and baking
quality, which indicates what I am really looking for. Charlotte is
OK for salads and new potatoes, but Belle de Fontenay is a lot better.

| We are going to try something new this year as our Spey got Spraing
last
| year on the new plot but then it does have a resistance of 1. Shame,
it's a
| good spud and quite slug resistant.

I don't have slug problems with potatoes!

Lucky devil, I had a real problem last year with maincrop, almost everyone
had several holes in.

Alan

Old 21-01-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| Lucky devil, I had a real problem last year with maincrop, almost everyone
| had several holes in.

I'll swap you my spraing and blight problems for your spraing and
slug ones!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote in reply to
"Nick Maclaren" wrote ((snip))

[...]

You should have downloaded from and studied...

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...vartables.html

everything you wanted to know about a great many varieties, but as Nick
points out, they are mainly commercially grown ones.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-01-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| You should have downloaded from and studied...
|
| http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...vartables.html
|
| everything you wanted to know about a great many varieties, but as Nick
| points out, they are mainly commercially grown ones.

Entirely, I think. It does include some of the higher quality commercial
varieties, like King Edward, but that is as far as it goes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" writes:

| Lucky devil, I had a real problem last year with maincrop, almost
everyone
| had several holes in.

I'll swap you my spraing and blight problems for your spraing and
slug ones!

Done!

Alan

Regards,