Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Andy Phillips

Default Advice on hedging/screening

Hi,

As the result of a forced corporate move (*******s!), we're about to move
from a cottage in the West Country to a semi in the home counties. One
problem (from our point of view) about the new house is that we can see a
neighbour's property about 15 beyond the garden fence at the bottom of the
30m-long garden - our current garden is 70m long and has a field at the end,
so to see other houses so close is freaking us out.

We'd therefore like to grow some screening plants on the line of the garden
fence that will at least break up, if not completely hide, the neighbour's
house. We don't want to go down the Leylandii route, but we would like
something that will do a reasonable job of screening in summer and winter as
the kitchen window looks out in that direction.

Can you suggest any suitable plants? We wondered about a bamboo or two,
perhaps separated by a columnar conifer such as a cypress. We're prepared to
buy relatively mature trees (a budget of £500-£800, say). The length of the
bottom fence is about 10m.

Thanks,

Andy