Old 01-02-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hand pollination - bunny's tail

When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff (can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have since tried
all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown melons... but
they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.

Any comments on this please?

Incidently, we have lived in a part of Dorset for many years where the 'R'
word (**bb**) is strictly taboo. It is believed this came about because the
animlas caused dangerous earth / rock falls around local quarries where most
villagers then worked.

Keith

Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
newsfmdnb- Incidently, we have lived in a part of Dorset for many years
where the 'R'
word (**bb**) is strictly taboo. It is believed this came about because
the animlas caused dangerous earth / rock falls around local quarries
where most villagers then worked.

Keith

Would that be Portland ? ;-)

Was at the Verne there a few years back.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
news
When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff

(can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have since

tried
all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown

melons... but
they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.

Any comments on this please?

[...]

Just make sure there's a penknife or good pair of scissors in the car:
you should have a replacement by this time next week.

--
Mike.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
news
When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff (can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have since
tried all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown
melons... but they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.

I've always used a small paintbrush and it has always been succesful.

Alan

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
news
When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff

(can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have

since
tried all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown
melons... but they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.

I've always used a small paintbrush and it has always been succesful.

It occurs to me that if Keith can't get a real rabbit's tail and doesn't
like small water-colour brushes, then an up-market cosmetics department
will be able to sell him a very fat (about 3/4 inch in diameter
compressed) stubby soft brush intended for make-up. Pricey, I imagine,
but my ex had the same good-quality one for about twenty years.
Water-colour brushes themselves come in various sizes, too: I bet you
can get one half an inch thick.

--
Mike.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Mike-That's awful. Not only have you mentioned the R*** word but you have
incinerated that your ex wife needed "Polyfilla" type makeovers.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 1, 10:44 pm, "Mike Lyle"
an up-market cosmetics department
will be able to sell him a very fat (about 3/4 inch in diameter
compressed) stubby soft brush intended for make-up. Pricey, I imagine,
but my ex had the same good-quality one for about twenty years.
Water-colour brushes themselves come in various sizes, too: I bet you
can get one half an inch thick.

--
Mike.

They sell them in Boots and are used for "blusher", in the olden days,
this was called rouge. You can get them from a couple of £ upwards
and for a good one which should last years, around £8.

I've got a few old ones, I might put them on ebay in the gardening
section.

Judith at home

Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
It occurs to me that if Keith can't get a real rabbit's tail and

doesn't
like small water-colour brushes, then an up-market cosmetics

department
will be able to sell him a very fat (about 3/4 inch in diameter
compressed) stubby soft brush intended for make-up. Pricey, I

imagine,
but my ex had the same good-quality one for about twenty years.
Water-colour brushes themselves come in various sizes, too: I bet

you
can get one half an inch thick.

Mike-That's awful. Not only have you mentioned the R*** word but you

have
incinerated that your ex wife needed "Polyfilla" type makeovers.

Sorry about the, er, coney. On the other matter, I must defend both
myself and my ex: it was a brush, not a trowel, and thus adapted to
subtle decorative effects, not desperate gap-filling.

--
Mike.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That's an idea!

However, as my wife is incapacitated so couldn't go to a Boots and buy a
'blusher' for me (she doesn't / wouldn't need one anyway).

I suppose I could best spare my own embarrassment - by making a catapult.

Second childhood, here I come...

Yours mischievously,

Keith

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 1, 10:44 pm, "Mike Lyle"

Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
That's an idea!

However, as my wife is incapacitated so couldn't go to a Boots and buy a
'blusher' for me (she doesn't / wouldn't need one anyway).

I suppose I could best spare my own embarrassment - by making a catapult.

Second childhood, here I come...

Yours mischievously,

Keith

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 1, 10:44 pm, "Mike Lyle"
an up-market cosmetics department
will be able to sell him a very fat (about 3/4 inch in diameter
compressed) stubby soft brush intended for make-up. Pricey, I imagine,
but my ex had the same good-quality one for about twenty years.
Water-colour brushes themselves come in various sizes, too: I bet you
can get one half an inch thick.

--
Mike.

They sell them in Boots and are used for "blusher", in the olden days,
this was called rouge. You can get them from a couple of £ upwards
and for a good one which should last years, around £8.

I've got a few old ones, I might put them on ebay in the gardening
section.

Judith at home

I use a camera lens brush, works well for me.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Feb, 00:06, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
That's an idea!
However, as my wife is incapacitated so couldn't go to a Boots and buy a
'blusher' for me (she doesn't / wouldn't need one anyway).
I suppose I could best spare my own embarrassment - by making a catapult.
Second childhood, here I come...
Yours mischievously,

)) You kid.

I've just returned from Fred Aldous, it's like Mecca to me - a place
where I would, if I could, just about buy everything. I thought of
you. I came accross a multitude of sizes of brushes and sponges of
various materials. Check them out and if you want I could even buy
them for you as I've got a discount in there (I'm a weekly
customer ;o) and I can see their front door from where I am sitting.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/

Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
news
When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff (can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have since
tried all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown
melons... but they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.

Any comments on this please?

Incidently, we have lived in a part of Dorset for many years where the 'R'
word (**bb**) is strictly taboo. It is believed this came about because
the animlas caused dangerous earth / rock falls around local quarries
where most villagers then worked.
Keith

Maybe you could get a replacement at a pet shop? They sometimes have real
fur cat toys....

Or maybe at a butchers shop that sells rabbit ?
Jenny

Old 02-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
news
When I was a boy my grandfather taught me to cross fertilise stuff
(can't
remember what now!) with a bunny's tail.

Having mislaid my forementioned tail (!) some years ago, I have since
tried all sorts of small paint brushes for use with greenhouse-grown
melons... but they just don't seem to be quite right for the job.
Any comments on this please?

Rabbits feet - for sale:
http://tinyurl.com/3c4bku
http://tinyurl.com/2kmcwo
http://www.boneroom.com/misc/remnants.htm

jenny

Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Was bunny's tail - Now Racoons (nt in the corn!)

For larger plants......... http://tinyurl.com/3yynz2

Jenny :~))))))

Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Keith (Dorset)" writes
That's an idea!

However, as my wife is incapacitated so couldn't go to a Boots and buy a
'blusher' for me (she doesn't / wouldn't need one anyway).

I suppose I could best spare my own embarrassment - by making a catapult.

Second childhood, here I come...

Why not buy your own blusher brush? You presumably shop for other
feminine items for her?

You could buy in a supermarket and use a check out manned by a spotty
youth who wouldn't recognise a blusher brush if he saw one.

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Feb 1, 10:44 pm, "Mike Lyle"
an up-market cosmetics department
will be able to sell him a very fat (about 3/4 inch in diameter
compressed) stubby soft brush intended for make-up. Pricey, I imagine,
but my ex had the same good-quality one for about twenty years.
Water-colour brushes themselves come in various sizes, too: I bet you
can get one half an inch thick.

--
Mike.

They sell them in Boots and are used for "blusher", in the olden days,
this was called rouge. You can get them from a couple of £ upwards
and for a good one which should last years, around £8.

I've got a few old ones, I might put them on ebay in the gardening
section.

Judith at home

--
Kay