Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manures/cover crops

Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege patch?

If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for what sorts of
benefits and what were/are your planting regimes (sowing, harvesting etc).

Thanks.
Rob

Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Feb, 11:01, "George.com" wrote:
Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege patch?
If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for what sorts of
benefits and what were/are your planting regimes (sowing, harvesting etc).

I've used phacilia on my new lotty (3 years) as I'd started from
scrach and it has expended over the years. I've been given another
half plot only last year. The 'committee' being very heavy handed, I
felt not only it gave me the chance to do good to my empty beds but
looked like something was happening, if you know what I mean. Also it
brightens up the lotty in winter. Phacilia is great as it's not
related to any veg and therefore I don't need to worry about what will
follow it. I've used red clover as well, but never worked it in as
this was for a wild area by our pond which I've used as undercrop with
flowers. My neighbour undercrop all her leeks with clover - you'd eat
her soil if you'd see it as it's the best one I've ever seen, just
spit a pit in there and it'll grow )

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manures - foraging crops

"George.com" wrote in message
Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege patch?

If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for what sorts of
benefits and what were/are your planting regimes (sowing, harvesting etc).

Thanks.
Rob

has anyone tried planting deep rooting cover crops that bring up sub surface
minerals?

rob

Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: I've used phacilia on my new lotty (3 years) as I'd started from
: scrach and it has expended over the years. I've been given another
: half plot only last year. The 'committee' being very heavy handed, I
: felt not only it gave me the chance to do good to my empty beds but
: looked like something was happening, if you know what I mean. Also it
: brightens up the lotty in winter. Phacilia is great as it's not
: related to any veg and therefore I don't need to worry about what will
: follow it. I've used red clover as well, but never worked it in as
: this was for a wild area by our pond which I've used as undercrop with
: flowers. My neighbour undercrop all her leeks with clover - you'd eat
: her soil if you'd see it as it's the best one I've ever seen, just
: spit a pit in there and it'll grow )

I tried Phacelia and Hungarian Rye this winter, the first time for green
manuring. The rye was nearly all washed out of the ground by the heavy rain
which surprised me. The Phacelia has been a lovely bright green but got
knocked down considerably by a huge hail storm on new year's day. Yesterday
I dug it in and am waiting for the growing season to see how it helps

Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote ...
Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege patch?

If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for what sorts of
benefits and what were/are your planting regimes (sowing, harvesting etc).

We tried Grazing Rye once on the heavy clay soil of our previous allotment
and the next year it was worse than ever, clay wise, it seemed to bind it
together even more than usual. I had to bank the spuds like building a mud
brick wall. Never used it again.
Chap down our present site uses it every winter, hits it with glysophate**
then digs it in.
** why he uses a weedkiller goodness knows.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My choice of green maure would be phacilia for the summer. Leave it
to flower or catch it before, then follow with a 60:40 mix of
hungarian grazin rye and red clover sown Aug- Sept.
For clay - use deep rooted plants to break it up. Tares and fooder
radish are good.

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire