Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Disposing of lawn rakings

Having spent a happy day raking my lawn I have a lot of waste, mainly
moss. Can I just throw it on my compost heap, or use it straight as a mulch?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 17:00, Broadback wrote:
Having spent a happy day raking my lawn I have a lot of waste, mainly
moss. Can I just throw it on my compost heap, or use it straight as a mulch?

Yes and yes. I'd do both. I wouldn't be worried of seeds now. Also I'd
use it to pad hanging baskets and I'm sure a bird or three will
benefit from it as nest material )

Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 20:54, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
If it's mainly moss, that isn't necessary. It won't rot down very fast,
but will form a peat precursor. I.e. Just Do It.

What's a peat precursor?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| If it's mainly moss, that isn't necessary. It won't rot down very fast,
| but will form a peat precursor. I.e. Just Do It.
|
| What's a peat precursor?

Something that will turn into peat under the right conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 21:09, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Something that will turn into peat under the right conditions.

Off course, thank you. I suspect if he waits long enough it will
become a precursor to coal then ;o)

Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 9 Mar, 21:09, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Something that will turn into peat under the right conditions.

Off course, thank you. I suspect if he waits long enough it will
become a precursor to coal then ;o)

Yes that's about right , for you anyway, and if we wait long enough you
might just rot down and become something useful-or should I say less
obnoxious.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 21:56, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:
Yes that's about right , for you anyway, and if we wait long enough you
might just rot down and become something useful-or should I say less
obnoxious.

And with comments like this coming thick and fast for a long time now
how do you expect me to not respond like for like? I don't even want
to start with you. You're not worth it.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Having spent a happy day raking my lawn I have a lot of waste, mainly
moss. Can I just throw it on my compost heap, or use it straight as a

mulch?

if you want to use it as a mulch is say a vege garden or somewhere you could
use as a substitute for hay or straw then dry the grass clippings first.
When green they will rot away your plants. If you want to simply use as a
weed suppressant under a hedge or round trees etc no need to dry it, just
keep it away from the trunks. A bit of rotting wet grass won't be any harm.

rob