Old 30-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Matthew Durkin

Default Disposing of soil...

Hi All,
Do you know if I would be able to get rid of garden soil at my local tip? Is
this kind of disposal normally allowed?
I have several sacks of garden soil that I need to get rid of, and will have
some more when I dig my pond foundations (next weekend?)
I'd offer it up for grabs, but it really is awful stuff - mostly clay and
rubble. I don't have enought to warrant a skip, and I don't have anywhere
else to put it! I've just filled a raised bed with general purpose compost
as I couldn't bring myself to try and grow plants is this poor soil!

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 30-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Mike

Hi All,
Do you know if I would be able to get rid of garden soil at my local tip?

Is
this kind of disposal normally allowed?

It is in ours on the Isle of Wight :-))

Old 30-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Alan Welsh

At an absolute push, it *can* be safely
tipped down the nearest rainwater road drain.
A neighbour of mine recently disposed of
about six large sacks of the stuff, plus a sack
of gravel that was surplus to his needs.
Obviously not the preferred method but I'm
'led' to believe that most local authorities don't
actually mind this type of activity providing
it is approached with copious amount of
common sense and restrain!

Alan

Old 30-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Peter Crosland

At an absolute push, it *can* be safely
tipped down the nearest rainwater road drain.
A neighbour of mine recently disposed of
about six large sacks of the stuff, plus a sack
of gravel that was surplus to his needs.
Obviously not the preferred method but I'm
'led' to believe that most local authorities don't
actually mind this type of activity providing
it is approached with copious amount of
common sense and restrain!

Grossly iresponsible advice and illegal with a heavy fine if you are caught.
Most amenity refuse sites will take small amounts but it is worth phoning
and asking what their policy is.

Old 30-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Matthew Durkin

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
At an absolute push, it *can* be safely
tipped down the nearest rainwater road drain.
A neighbour of mine recently disposed of
about six large sacks of the stuff, plus a sack
of gravel that was surplus to his needs.
Obviously not the preferred method but I'm
'led' to believe that most local authorities don't
actually mind this type of activity providing
it is approached with copious amount of
common sense and restrain!

Grossly iresponsible advice and illegal with a heavy fine if you are
caught. Most amenity refuse sites will take small amounts but it is worth
phoning and asking what their policy is.

yea - I shouldn't have thought piles of clay based soil and rubble would do
the drains much good! I'll ring the local tip and see if they'll take it!
Thanks,
Matt

Old 31-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Alan Welsh

Cheer up Janet all is not lost,
I'll stop posting, honest..!
Farewell.............................

(:-)

Alan

Old 31-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
At an absolute push, it *can* be safely
tipped down the nearest rainwater road drain.
A neighbour of mine recently disposed of
about six large sacks of the stuff, plus a sack
of gravel that was surplus to his needs.
Obviously not the preferred method but I'm
'led' to believe that most local authorities don't
actually mind this type of activity providing
it is approached with copious amount of
common sense and restrain!

Common sense and restraint would suggest that this advice of yours is
branded as the epitome of irresponsibility.

Franz

Old 31-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Peter Crosland

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
In case anyone else hasn't noticed, Peter, we appear to have a new
troll :-(

I am not sure he is a troll Janet. I have seen plenty of stupid suggestions
made by people not known for trolling.

Old 31-08-2004, 11:12 AM
David Hill

Mathew wrote "....I have several sacks of garden soil that I need to get
rid of, and will have some more when I dig my pond foundations (next
weekend?)
I'd offer it up for grabs, but it really is awful stuff - mostly clay and
rubble ........."

One answer is to dig a hole and bury it.

Not as stupid as it sounds.........you say you are going to dig a pond, then
why not remove the top soil that is usable, then use the clay to either
raise the level around the sides(This way you don't have to dig it so deep)
or raise a bank on one side of the pond and use the Top soil to cover it.
Years ago I dug a pool 30ft x 30 x30 (Yes it was triangular) and raised an
island in the middle with some of the clay and a bank on the North side with
the rest.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Matthew Durkin

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

he he!
I wish! I think your pond was bigger than my garden. I unfortunately live in
a terrace house with a narrow 30' garden. The pond will be about 6' long and
maybe 3' wide. If I had room it would be bigger, but alas! It's going to be
raised with brick walls (no space for natural sloping banks) so I really do
need to get rid of the soil.
I've already built a raised bed in a similar fashion, though one wall was
only one brick wide. The pond will be 2 bricks all round as it will stand
about 2˝' tall. I would think a single bricked wall might collapse with all
that water behind.
Anyway, I digress! Council Tip here I come...
and did I mention it's damn heavy? not sure what my little micra will make
of several sack loads in the back...

Old 31-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Sarah Dale

Matthew Durkin wrote:

Do you know if I would be able to get rid of garden soil at my local tip?
Is this kind of disposal normally allowed?
I have several sacks of garden soil that I need to get rid of, and will
have some more when I dig my pond foundations (next weekend?)

Hi Matt,

Here in N. Wales the local tips accept garden soil and rubble - it is
segregated into its own skip.

Obviously if you turn up in a van you may have problems (if they think
you're a commercial business trying to dipose of rubbish on the cheap), but
car or car and trailer will be fine.

I disposed of about 1/2 ton of rubble clay and sand from my garden in the
local tip over several car loads. I must praise the guys who run the tips
here in Flintshire - they even lifted it in to the skip and emptied the
bags for me - they are super helpful chaps.

HTH,

Sarah
Old 01-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Philip

Anyway, I digress! Council Tip here I come...
and did I mention it's damn heavy? not sure what my little micra will make
of several sack loads in the back...

Check out the alternative to skips. I have seen these in use around
my way SW London / NW Surrey. They are canvas type of refuse bag.

How it works. You pay your money to a company who deliver you a
canvas bag thing. These seem to be similar in size to those bags you
see sand or ballast delivered in. It is up to you how long you take
to fill the bag, but once you are ready you call the company and they
remove it.

Advantages - no time limits, smaller than a skip, no need for new
suspension on your micra.

Disadvantages - probably costs more.

These seem to be the guys .... http://www.hippowaste.co.uk/

No connection, no recommendation inferred, just see this as an
alternative.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM
gary davis

On 8/31/04 12:28 PM, in article , "Sarah
Dale" wrote:

Matthew Durkin wrote:

[...]

Hi Sarah,
For heavens sake don't dispose of it give it to Franz...he can use some.
Have a look at this message (below) I posted awhile ago. He told me he has
only 6" of soil on hardpan and is trying to compete with his friends in
growing 'stuff'. What chance does he have?
He posts here all the time. Ask him if he can use the soil. Is there
something wrong with this soil? You didnąt bury your late husband in it did
you? Oh, well Franz will appreciate your contribution...he only has 6 inches
of soil on hardpan and he is 80 years old...so you will have to deliver.
Sorry about that.
It is amazing what we young folk are willing to do for old folk.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Hi Franz
As I said before it is important to know all, or as much information as
possible, in order to provide the proper information to help try to solve a
gardening problem.
Thanks for the clarification of the spelling of guarantee...I do have
trouble with words like that. I won't anymore with guarrantee...I mean
guarantee.
So you are trying to keep up with the Joneses when your soil is only 6"
deep! Wow, now that is a challenge. And you have a moss problem that turning
over gives temporary relief. You can't add 1" inch of sand because of your
age?
Surely, you must be joking! 6" of soil and you are wondering why you can't
keep up to your friends success in growing plants? Can you tell me how deep
their soil is?
Well, I'll take your story at face value and tell you that you need more
soil. I'll send you some...it will contain some bs but not more than you can
handle. Good luck

Old 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Franz Heymann

"gary davis" wrote in message
On 8/31/04 12:28 PM, in article ,

"Sarah
Dale" wrote:

Matthew Durkin wrote:

[...]

Have a look at my garden before worrying about me.

He posts here all the time. Ask him if he can use the soil. Is

there
something wrong with this soil? You didnąt bury your late husband in

it did
you? Oh, well Franz will appreciate your contribution...he only has

6 inches
of soil on hardpan and he is 80 years old...so you will have to

deliver.
Sorry about that.
It is amazing what we young folk are willing to do for old folk.

I don't actually need more soil. I have learnt what to grow above the
sandstone. Incidentaly, it is not hardpan. It is real sandstone. It
is actually quite well drained, because the sandstone layer is
thoroughly cracked.

[...]

I see you still have not learnt how to manage the attribution marks.

Franz

Old 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from gary davis contains these words:

Have a look at this message (below) I posted awhile ago. He told

me he has
only 6" of soil on hardpan and is trying to compete with his

friends in
growing 'stuff'. What chance does he have?

earlier you said

Surely, you must be joking! 6" of soil and you are wondering

why
you can't
keep up to your friends success in growing plants? Can you tell

me
how deep
their soil is?
Well, I'll take your story at face value and tell you that you

need more
soil. I'll send you some...it will contain some bs but not more

than
you can
handle. Good luck

Did you think Franz was joking?

To any gardener in the UK who knows Franz's area, there's no

reason to
doubt that he's A) telling the truth about his garden soil and B)
perfectly able to grow stuff in it.

You are quite right on both scores. {:-))

Franz