Old 16-03-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heron!

On 16/3/07 11:56, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 15/3/07 20:10, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

snip

I'm sure there must be some way of securing the sticks, and a clear notice
to the general public would see no one fell into the pond.

No, Alan, there is NO way of securing sticks.

Cannot the sticks be mounted on flat bases a few inches square?

No, unfortunately. The path round the pond is quite narrow and again,
someone would trip over them. If you look at this page you will see, behind
the blue pot, the path which is that width all round.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/gardens01.html
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-03-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/3/07 11:56, in article ,
"Malcolm"
wrote:

No, unfortunately. The path round the pond is quite narrow and again,
someone would trip over them. If you look at this page you will see,
behind
the blue pot, the path which is that width all round.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/gardens01.html
--

Yes - I see your problem now.
BTW did the fish centre picture ---

http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/images/pond01.jpg

survive for long ?
Looks like a dropsy casualty to me !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-03-2007, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/07 18:51, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/3/07 15:37, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/3/07 11:23, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 16 Mar, 00:43, Sacha wrote:
snip

There is no way of wiring off this
pond, other than a major fence round it which would ruin its
appearance
and
its place in this garden.

What you need are a couple of gnomes with radio controlled shot guns.

Well, crow scarers, anyway! ;-)

Will a crow scarer scare herons?

Well, it does it for me at 7 every morning, at present!

Have you tried earplugs?

Alan

Thanks. I'm already wired. ;-)

--
Sacha

Old 16-03-2007, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/07 19:00, in article , "Pete
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/3/07 11:56, in article ,
"Malcolm"
wrote:

No, unfortunately. The path round the pond is quite narrow and again,
someone would trip over them. If you look at this page you will see,
behind
the blue pot, the path which is that width all round.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/gardens01.html
--

Yes - I see your problem now.
BTW did the fish centre picture ---

http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/images/pond01.jpg

survive for long ?
Looks like a dropsy casualty to me !

All I can say is, we don't have it now. It's the one we called Jaws, I
think. He went belly up one day and we really did try to revive him but no
go. He was buried with full aquarian honours well out of dog-digging reach!
--
Sacha

Old 16-03-2007, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
All I can say is, we don't have it now. It's the one we called Jaws, I
think. He went belly up one day and we really did try to revive him but
no
go. He was buried with full aquarian honours well out of dog-digging
reach!

Yes - it is sad - I go through similar procedures except I do burials at
"sea" (canal !) .
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 18-03-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/3/07 17:21, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/3/07 11:56, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 15/3/07 20:10, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

snip

I'm sure there must be some way of securing the sticks, and a clear notice
to the general public would see no one fell into the pond.

No, Alan, there is NO way of securing sticks.
Cannot the sticks be mounted on flat bases a few inches square?

No, unfortunately. The path round the pond is quite narrow and again,
someone would trip over them. If you look at this page you will see, behind
the blue pot, the path which is that width all round.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/gardens01.html

Hmm, that does look difficult to deal with.

One idea is to decide to love the herons and, if they eat too many fish,
restock the pond for them. After all, they're just as nice to have in
the garden as a pair of robins or blackbirds :-)

I love them but I like the fish, too! Robins and blackbirds don't take
those. I really don't mind the odd one or two fish if it has to happen but
a heron keeps coming back to a food source and will clear the pond
altogether, sooner or later.

As sticks and netting are out, perhaps another way of making flying in
and landing more difficult would be some taller plants around the edge -
perhaps in pots. It's difficult to make out the context of the pond, but
if, say, columnar conifers would look out of place, but what about some
Amanagowa cherries?

We have some tall things to the sides of the pond but not all the way round
it and it has steps up to it from the path which is backed by the rope and
post arrangement. If we put tall things in pots, as sure as fate they would
be pushed or blown in. I think in the end we're coming back to netting or
moving the fish to a different pond altogether.

--
Sacha

Old 18-03-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/3/07 13:06, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip
One idea is to decide to love the herons and, if they eat too many fish,
restock the pond for them. After all, they're just as nice to have in
the garden as a pair of robins or blackbirds :-)

I love them but I like the fish, too! Robins and blackbirds don't take
those. I really don't mind the odd one or two fish if it has to happen but
a heron keeps coming back to a food source and will clear the pond
altogether, sooner or later.

Then, just as you would replenish your bird feeder with more peanuts,
replenish your pond with more fish :-))

They're a bit more expensive than peanuts and they're prettier!

As sticks and netting are out, perhaps another way of making flying in
and landing more difficult would be some taller plants around the edge -
perhaps in pots. It's difficult to make out the context of the pond, but
if, say, columnar conifers would look out of place, but what about some
Amanagowa cherries?

We have some tall things to the sides of the pond but not all the way round
it and it has steps up to it from the path which is backed by the rope and
post arrangement. If we put tall things in pots, as sure as fate they would
be pushed or blown in. I think in the end we're coming back to netting or
moving the fish to a different pond altogether.

And then it will all start over again.........:-)

The other pond is a bit deeper and has no wading in places, so it might be a
bit safer for the fish.

--
Sacha

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(
--
Sacha
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery

You can buy them online at NetFloat (Pack of 20) NetFloats Heron Deterrent [NetFloat pk20] - £23.50 : Henley Water Gardens, The Dependable Aquatic and Pond Professionals!

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM