Old 15-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heron!

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:40:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/3/07 17:18, in article ,
"(o)(o)" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:40:46 -0000, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

You cant gripe about animals doing what animals do. Did you protect
them in any way?

Other than netting which looks unattractive (this garden is open to the
public) there is nothing else to do. We may have to move the fish to
another pond.

Does anything take spawn?

Yes, fish and herons! One enormous clump has disappeared overnight and as
the fish are being fed, they've being ignoring the spawn.

I think next weeks weather may well put paid to some early breeding
wildlife, sadly.

I'm afraid that's probably right. I've heard of baby blackbirds in the nest
already and our rooks are building nests like mad though not actually laying
yet, I hope.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.

Very good idea. We actually have trouble with cats grabbing the frogs
at the pond, lying in wait etc. Electric would be a very good
deterrent! What do you use?

If this is meant for me - we don't and can't - public access again!

You must be in an ideal position to test out various heron scarers!

I wonder if a replica dog, or similar stationed near the pond would
work?
--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.
Old 15-03-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/3/07 16:37, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:12:44 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 15/3/07 14:50, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either
it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the
latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two
fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

If you put a sort of fence around the pond, a wire suspended about 6in
to a
foot high on some samll stakes, it will stop the herons getting in, as
they
walk to the side of the pond and anything which stops them moving into
the
water deters them.

We can't, Alan. This pond is paved all around. There's nothing to put
the
sticks into - and sure as fate if we could do it, someone would trip
over it
and take a dive into the water!

Sacha, I have never tried it but some friends once swore by positioning
an
artificial heron at the edge of the pond. The theory is that they don't
take
to a rival and will stay away. You can get some very life-like ones :-)

Might try that. Do we have to get a gnome, too? ;-) The kind with a
fishing rod might not be too tactful! Thanks, Sally.

I don't know where the idea came from that herons are solitary birds. I've
frequently seen several using the same wetland area, and suspect that if
they get the idea a location is a good feeding spot, because they see
another heron there, they will investigate, sooner or later.

Have you thought of the grid available from

http://www.safapond.com/

It would keep out herons, cats, and children, too.

Old 15-03-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:37:47 GMT, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message from Steve Wolstenholme
contains these words:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:37:29 +0000, Sally Thompson
wrote:

Sacha, I have never tried it but some friends once swore by positioning an
artificial heron at the edge of the pond. The theory is that they
don't take
to a rival and will stay away. You can get some very life-like ones :-)

I don't know what it is that make an artificial heron life-like to a
real heron. It's not just the appearance. Some very good looking
artificial herons get ignored by real herons and others work quite
well.

I remember, a couple of years ago, someone reporting (was it here, or
'elsewhere'?) a male heron attempting to mate with the artificial heron
by the side of their pool...

Some humans have been know to try and mate with plastic counterparts,
not always of the same species! Usually Conservatives, or pro hunt
nuts though!

Old 15-03-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/3/07 14:50, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure there must be some way of securing the sticks, and a clear notice
to the general public would see no one fell into the pond.

Alan

Old 15-03-2007, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

I remember, a couple of years ago, someone reporting (was it here, or
'elsewhere'?) a male heron attempting to mate with the artificial heron
by the side of their pool...

I think that they may have been reporting on April 1st. !!

We also have the statutory lifelike plastic commodity at the side of the
pond.
It had no apparent effect on the real one's activities.
The idea of just protecting the edges of the pond does not work with herons
..
They do not work on the step in principle solely. They can fly over the
protection, land in the pond
and gobble up your ponds contents just as easily !
If one was concerned over public access and the electric protection could
not the solution be in the timing.
Only have it live when the public is not present. Herons will not land in a
populated situation.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-03-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Goldfish definately do go into hiding Sacha - if that's what they are. The
last time we got a rogue Herring Gull I didn't see a fish for about a
fortnight - then they gradually became bolder and I eventually counted
fourteen. The pond is only a 'largish garden pond - with vegitation only at
the edges'.

Best wishes,

Keith

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Old 15-03-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in reply to"Sacha"
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either
it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter
as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

Sacha, I have never tried it but some friends once swore by positioning an
artificial heron at the edge of the pond. The theory is that they don't
take
to a rival and will stay away. You can get some very life-like ones :-)

These can work because these birds are territorial but it's important the
fake heron is moved around the pond or the real ones will soon see through
the subterfuge.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-03-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/3/07 19:28, in article , "BAC"
wrote:

snip

I don't know where the idea came from that herons are solitary birds. I've
frequently seen several using the same wetland area, and suspect that if
they get the idea a location is a good feeding spot, because they see
another heron there, they will investigate, sooner or later.

Have you thought of the grid available from

http://www.safapond.com/

It would keep out herons, cats, and children, too.

I've seen this before and have even recommended it, or something similar. I
need to be sure, of course, that the frogs can get in and out, too. This
is a horrible problem! The pond is more about 50 years old, so the frogs
and toads are very used to coming to it. Strangely though, I've seen no
toadspawn yet this year. What do they know that the frogs don't?

Old 16-03-2007, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/3/07 20:10, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/3/07 14:50, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

No, Alan, there is NO way of securing sticks. And despite one of those
yellow 'danger' notices on the edge of the pond, some poor woman stood on
one of the coping stones two years ago, broke the cement seal and fell into
the water! It's only 3' deep, so she was in no danger but she was severely
embarrassed, poor soul. Our experience is that people don't read notices,
or don't really see them or don't think they apply to them. It's something
we've all done, one way or another. There is no way of wiring off this
pond, other than a major fence round it which would ruin its appearance and
its place in this garden.

Old 16-03-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/3/07 16:33, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/3/07 12:40, in article
,
"Pete
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either

it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter

as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(
--

Sorry to hear about your loss.

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent

the
herons here.
They still have miles of adjacent canal to go at - so they wont starve !
Regards

We can't electrify because the public wouldn't appreciate it. ;-) We

might
be able to net, though the fountain/pot in the middle would make that a

bit
more difficult. In the end, I think we'll either have to net, or move all
the fish to a different pond which has no wading access at all.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Try a few overhead wires, they are big clumsy birds coming into land and
prefer a large landing area and walk to the water, its surprising with your
trees you are having the problem. I have also heard it said that the stone
cats some people put by their ponds discourages them.
Think your self lucky the Otters have not found you yet!!
(and I have replied to your last short email let me know if its gone missing
again)

It has! ;-( I don't know what's going on - anyone else 'losing' emails both
outgoing and incoming or is it just my luck?
When you next come up you'll see changes to the garden which almost
incorporate your overhead wire suggestion but appear to make no difference!
The hedge beside the path to the tea room has gone and that's where we've
put up the posts and rope swags. They would do the overhead wire job if
anything would but it doesn't seem to have deterred this heron! In fact a
year or two ago I was up very early one morning and a heron was sitting on
*top* of the now rooted out hedge, gazing thoughtfully at the pond!
The culprit of yesterday was seen by Ray the evening before, looking at the
new pond in front of the house but it couldn't wade into that, so presumably
it decided to try its luck with the 'old' fishpond. As it has three ponds
to choose from, it's quite busy but the ex-duck pond has no fish in it, so
no luck for a heron there!
The fact that it bothers to come here makes me wonder what the fish stocks
must be like in the River Dart which, as the heron flies, isn't at all far
from here.

Old 16-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 16 Mar, 00:43, Sacha wrote:
On 15/3/07 20:10, in article , "Alan

Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 15/3/07 14:50, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. co.uk...
[...]

What you need are a couple of gnomes with radio controlled shot guns.
David hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 16-03-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete Stockdale
writes

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.
They still have miles of adjacent canal to go at - so they wont starve !
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Do they come at specific points of the year or do they pinch the fish
anytime? We've lost three sets of orfe to a heron, the fish that get
missed, usually the baby black ones, seem to go into hiding for about a
week afterwards.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-03-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Pete Stockdale
writes

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.
They still have miles of adjacent canal to go at - so they wont starve !
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Do they come at specific points of the year or do they pinch the fish
anytime? We've lost three sets of orfe to a heron, the fish that get
missed, usually the baby black ones, seem to go into hiding for about a
week afterwards.

I hate herons, nice to look at though they are. Our best deterrent is a
pair of crows, generations of which have lived in a tree in our
next-door's garden for years. They see the heron off in double quick
time. It never ceased to amaze me how big herons are when they come and
land in the vicinity of the house.

Someone here, years ago, got a full-sized model heron and were worried
that the real one would try to mate with it. I was told when we built
the pond to put plants round it, as herons cannot wade into it then (it
is very deep but we have shelves on three sides). However, a friend of
ours had a huge pond and the herons used to come and spread their wings,
making a shadow over the pond, before pinching the fish without wading
at all.
--
June Hughes

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM