Old 16-03-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Primula Francesca

I ordered 3 Prim Francesca from Bloms bulbs on 3rd March, together
with some dahlia tubers.
Today I found a box dumped outside an old caravan I use for storage in
the car park, and partially behind some old corrugated sheets, the box
was dated 8th March.
Great job by the carriers.

It's a good job we haven't had frost in the last few days.
The P.Francesca were in 4inch square pots, they look a bit battered,
but should survive, they had been well packed (at the price they were
they should have been)
When I phoned the firm I had some half wit girl who only seemed to be
able to say "Well, all right" over and over again, she finally said
she would speak to their horticulturist, and would note the delay in
transit and I should contact them again if the plants did not pull
through.
Very poor attitude.
Their website is http://www.blomsbulbs.com/catalog/catalog.cfm
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 17-03-2007, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om, Dave
Hill writes
I ordered 3 Prim Francesca from Bloms bulbs on 3rd March, together
with some dahlia tubers.

You could have had a cutting from me last year David! I did email you. I
got one from a local nursery after much pleading and managed to get it
to clump up before dividing it. Think Sacha got one and a couple of
other people.
Lovely unusual flower.

It's a good job we haven't had frost in the last few days.
The P.Francesca were in 4inch square pots, they look a bit battered,
but should survive, they had been well packed (at the price they were
they should have been)

Well my remaining plant is bulking up again so if you lose yours I can
always divide it again.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-03-2007, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/3/07 00:20, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article om, Dave
Hill writes
I ordered 3 Prim Francesca from Bloms bulbs on 3rd March, together
with some dahlia tubers.

You could have had a cutting from me last year David! I did email you. I
got one from a local nursery after much pleading and managed to get it
to clump up before dividing it. Think Sacha got one and a couple of
other people.
Lovely unusual flower.

Yes, you gave us one and it's beautiful. I ordered 3 from Bloms for my
brother's birthday present and hope they arrived safely after reading
David's story.

It's a good job we haven't had frost in the last few days.
The P.Francesca were in 4inch square pots, they look a bit battered,
but should survive, they had been well packed (at the price they were
they should have been)

Well my remaining plant is bulking up again so if you lose yours I can
always divide it again.

You're very generous with your plants.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-03-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

You're very generous with your plants.

I'm afraid I'm a nursery owner at heart rather than a garden designer
or food grower!

That's what I enjoy best, taking cuttings, propagating, and growing but
then finding room for more stuff by moving out the plants that get too
big

I should really have opened one of those little nurseries with a few
greenhouses etc I'd have been in seventh heaven ...

Janet
Old 17-03-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
I'm afraid I'm a nursery owner at heart rather than a garden designer
or food grower!

That's what I enjoy best, taking cuttings, propagating, and growing
but then finding room for more stuff by moving out the plants that get
too big

I should really have opened one of those little nurseries with a few
greenhouses etc I'd have been in seventh heaven ...

Do you have one of those interesting roadside stalls? I always have to
stop and investigate those whenever I spot one. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 18-03-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sue
writes
.

Do you have one of those interesting roadside stalls? I always have to
stop and investigate those whenever I spot one. ;-)

No but there is a group of us (about 24), the majority of which open
their gardens for NGS and we take it in turns to visit each other's
garden throughout the year.

I haven't got a very large garden compared to them, it's about 200 foot,
but I can take my plants and cuttings and they are happy to find room in
their acres to accommodate them, in return I get to take cuttings from
their plants
Old 18-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Bloms Bulbs:

Very poor attitude.
Dave, I couldn't agree more. One of my clients wanted to start a new bed, and gave me a Bloms catalogue from which to choose a selection that fitted her brief. (no, not her briefs, he he)

They were VERY expensive, and when they arrived, they were tiny little scraps of things that really should have been cossetted in a nursery bed for a year before being flung out into a real garden. Needless to say, hardly any of them survived.

My client did complain to Bloms, but apparently just received a brush-off in response.

Not exactly what you want in a plant supplier!

Mind you, I also steer people away from the Sunday Insert Special Offers where you get 101 plants for a fiver, with a picture of a 20-foot long border bursting with colour....
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales