Old 25-04-2007, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cat c****, any cures?

Following up to "Baal" :

Well at least you snipped.

You didn't though.
--
Tim C.
Old 25-04-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baal wrote:
Dear Use-Net geek,

If I choose to top-post I will. I hate having to scroll down to the
bottom of a long thread.

Then learn to trim.
--
Posting at the top of an article because that is where your cursor
happened to be is like crapping in your pants because that is

Old 25-04-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oh how anal you are!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "Baal" :

If I choose to top-post I will. I hate having to scroll down to the
bottom
of a long thread.

Message you mean?
The handling of the thread should be done by your news client.
--
Tim C.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:55:24 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

I've heard orange peel scattered around the offending area helps, they
don't like the smell.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Reid wrote in
:

Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

Hi Mike, Now look what you've done! )
I think the best cure for the cat problem is to invite all the very
friendly people who have helped make this rather long,but definitely
amusing thread over to your garden,and then ask them the cat question
again.
The ensuing(cat fight?)discussion will keep all the cats away.

And,if anyone thinks I'm a troll and wants to kill file me,well too
late,I've already kill filed all of you.

Hello,Hello,is anybody there,it's gone very quiet in here....mmm.
LOL.

Sorry Mike,couldn't resist it.
In answer to your question,the only cures I know work are,the shotgun
type or,a physical barrier.If the area to be protected is something like
a seedbed,then a covering of fleese works well so long as its raised from
the ground a bit.Of course using fleese has a lot more benifits than
keeping cats off.
As for the rest of the garden,well,best of luck.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Douglas Moore wrote
wrote:

Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

Show it your penis?

Hey that's a worry - that's the first thing that came into my mind.
--
Roger Hunt
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Reid wrote
Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

I heard somewhere that thin plastic garden mesh laid over the area (and
presumably pegged at the corners), really puts them off because they
can't do their scraping and digging at all easily - they get tangled in
it I suppose.

Or would mouse traps deter them?
--
Roger Hunt
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
The Reid wrote
Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

I heard somewhere that thin plastic garden mesh laid over the area (and
presumably pegged at the corners), really puts them off because they
can't do their scraping and digging at all easily - they get tangled in
it I suppose.

Or would mouse traps deter them?
--
Roger Hunt

Carpet gripper strip along the tops of all fences and gates helps :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 May 2007 08:52:31 +0100, Mike' wrote
(in article ):

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
The Reid wrote
Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

I heard somewhere that thin plastic garden mesh laid over the area (and
presumably pegged at the corners), really puts them off because they
can't do their scraping and digging at all easily - they get tangled in
it I suppose.

Or would mouse traps deter them?
--
Roger Hunt

Carpet gripper strip along the tops of all fences and gates helps :-))

Mike

Carpet gripper works a treat for me as well. But the one thing that really
works is an electronic cat scarer. I've got two. One in the front garden
and one in the rear. They do work and I swear by them.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
The Reid wrote
Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area
as toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun
type suggestions, I don't hate cats).

I heard somewhere that thin plastic garden mesh laid over the area
(and presumably pegged at the corners), really puts them off because
they can't do their scraping and digging at all easily - they get
tangled in it I suppose.

Or would mouse traps deter them?
--
Roger Hunt

Carpet gripper strip along the tops of all fences and gates helps :-))

Mike

Isn't that illegal?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 05-05-2007, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
wrote
Carpet gripper strip along the tops of all fences and gates helps :-))

Mike

Isn't that illegal?

Just put up a notice (in a small font), on your side of the fence,
warning the cats that you have fitted razor wire or a carpet gripper. If
the owners of the cats haven't bothered to teach the their cats to read
then it isn't your problem.

If the cat doesn't carry any identification and is caught in the local
traps a coating of cooking oil and hot chilli powder ensures that it
will not come back in a hurry - especially if it is left in the trap for
24 hours after the coating is applied.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 05-05-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Reid wrote in
:

Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

A BB pistol firing soft plastic pellets and a laser sight is my favourite
way, gives me enjoyment, doesn't harm the cats who invade my garden to
annoy my rabbits, but gives them a good scare.

--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in the
above post"
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tunku" wrote in message
. 109.145...
The Reid wrote in
:

Does anything actually work at discouraging cats from using an area as
toilet? The product I tried had no effect (no need for shotgun type
suggestions, I don't hate cats).

My springer loves cats . . . . . but has trouble with the bones!!

Geoff

Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carpet gripper works a treat for me as well. But the one thing that
really
works is an electronic cat scarer. I've got two. One in the front garden
and one in the rear. They do work and I swear by them.

What make & model of electronic scarer do you use ?.

I'm looking at buying one.

woodglass...