Old 23-07-2007, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any cures for fungus infected goosegogs?

For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.
Obviously this is an ongoing problem, and occurs on 2 8yo bushes,bought
at the same time, planted around 30 yards apart.

To cure this, is it best to just pull them up, and replant new stock in
a different position, or is it likely to be a fault with the plants
position in the garden, or something in the soil?

Thanks
Alan.
Old 23-07-2007, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 8:31 am, (A.Lee) wrote:
For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.

American powdery mildew. You can spray with various fungicides and
prune the bushes to open them out and let more air in. Mine suffered
from it very badly last year (unsprayed) but have a decent crop this
year with one spraying of appropriate systemic fungicide early in the
season. Red dessert goosegogs about ready now.

Obviously this is an ongoing problem, and occurs on 2 8yo bushes,bought
at the same time, planted around 30 yards apart.

You could try Jostaberries instead (gooseberry-blackcurrant cross).
Mine don't seem to have any problems with mildew. The birds will eat
every last one if given a chance though.

To cure this, is it best to just pull them up, and replant new stock in
a different position, or is it likely to be a fault with the plants
position in the garden, or something in the soil?

Tidy up leaf litter underneath mulch with good compost, prune to an
open shape and spray early on to prevent it getting a hold and you
should be alright. I pick any off that show signs of atack. I don't
like spraying food crops in my garden unless it is absolutely
necessary.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 23-07-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:31:33 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:
For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.

Spray with dilute washing soda.
knocks the mildew on the head, washes off in the next rain.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

The powdery mildew never stopped them from making fine preserves,

Or even for stewing or pies, in my experience. It rubs off very easily.

Mary

Old 23-07-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:11:43 +0100
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

The powdery mildew never stopped them from making fine preserves,

Or even for stewing or pies, in my experience. It rubs off very easily.

Most of the time. Sometimes it settles into a sort of black sludge though.
And infected berries seem to be smaller.

I see I wasn't very careful in the previous post, and implied I pulled mine
out because of the mildew. Mostly was because of age, I believe they
were about 20-25 years old. Also we put a low stone wall along the
drive, which they impeded somewhat. Had they been super croppers I
would have kept, though.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 23-07-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:52:16 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:
I see I wasn't very careful in the previous post, and implied I pulled mine
out because of the mildew. Mostly was because of age, I believe they
were about 20-25 years old. Also we put a low stone wall along the
drive, which they impeded somewhat. Had they been super croppers I
would have kept, though.

I'm glad you clarified that ! Because I was very surprised that anyone
would do that on account of mildew which is so easily controlled.

But now I am puzzled because 20-25 is no age at all for gooseberries,
we have been here 30y and the goosberry bushes were already here when
we arrived.

when I checked my book
(The Winemakers Garden by Duncan Gillespie)
about that washing soda treatment in my other post I found that he
says
"They are long lived - plantations of Careless are still cropping
after 60 years"

My wife tells me that these we have are Careless also.
So if yours are not super croppers perhaps they are not Careless :-)

I dont know if they are resistant or just that we have been lucky, we
have had mildew in only 2 of those years, in the wet southwest.

Old 23-07-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There are now a number of varieties that are resistant to American
Gooseberry Mildew
Hamamakki Red, Yellow and Gold
Hino Red
Invicta
Pax
Greenfinch
Jubilee (also known as Careless Jubilee - telling a little of its
parentage)
are but a few
www.agroforestry.co.uk lists a number of these

If you want to stay with traditional fruit that does get it, pruning
to encourage air movement is one important task, but also consider why
it occurs. The mildew typically happens when the air around the plant
is damp, so avoid damp shady locations, keep the ground beneath the
bush clear of weeds and other plants (turf or meadow plants) and train
the bush so that the branches do not weep downwards and restrict
growth (something that Invicta does). Also don't plant too close
together. THe fungus sheds its spores in the autumn so good hygiene
beneath the bush is important, removing any mulch (which will also
help limit over wintering sawfly)

Treatments have been suggested but the mildew does wash off with a bit
of rubbing.

Good luck

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 23-07-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:23:34 -0700, Martin Brown
wrote:

snipped
... On Jul 23, 8:31 am, (A.Lee) wrote:
... For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
... mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
... the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.
... American powdery mildew. You can spray with various fungicides and
... prune the bushes to open them out and let more air in.
... Regards,
... Martin Brown

Whilst we are on the subject .... When should you prune currant bushes
and apple trees .... ?
Thanks

Mike P

Old 23-07-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:18:25 +0100, Mike P mike@askme wrote:

... On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:23:34 -0700, Martin Brown
... wrote:
... snipped
... .. On Jul 23, 8:31 am, (A.Lee) wrote:
... .. For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
... .. mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
... .. the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.
... ..
... .. American powdery mildew. You can spray with various fungicides and
... .. prune the bushes to open them out and let more air in.
... ..
... .. Regards,
... .. Martin Brown
... Whilst we are on the subject .... When should you prune currant bushes
... and apple trees .... ?
... Thanks
... Mike P

I mean ... what time of year ?

Mike P
Old 23-07-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike P
mike@askme.? writes
..
.. Whilst we are on the subject .... When should you prune currant bushes
.. and apple trees .... ?
.. Thanks
..
.. Mike P

I mean ... what time of year ?

I don't grow soft fruit bushes so really have no idea but my apple trees
get pruned when I think they need it.

Expert opinion varies on exactly when you should prune but seems to fall
into two camps, that of pruning for fruit and that of pruning for
development.

Logically I should side with those expert on pruning for shape. I regard
the tree part of my apple trees as little more than large bonsai and so
will snip and occasionally saw bits away when it offends my opinion of
what constitutes beauty with no though to the date on the calendar or
the height of the midday sun. I get apples sufficient for my needs
(most years) and my trees look pleasing to me and I seem to be totally
at odds with all the experts.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features
Old 24-07-2007, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:32:28 +0200, Emery Davis& I wrote:
But now I am puzzled because 20-25 is no age at all for gooseberries,
we have been here 30y and the goosberry bushes were already here when
we arrived.

Walt, I was under the impression that they weren't long lived, and based my
estimate of age on that. They were already gnarly but cropped well still when
we bought the house 15 years ago. In fact they might well have been 60.

Not sure where I had my impression from, but suspect I read it somewhere
(which does not necessarily imply reliability.)

Yes indeed, and by the same token, I only have that one book ref. to
hand at the mo.
( I've not exhaustively studied gooseberry literature !)
but it is in line with our own statistical sample (!) of one that
after 30y they still seem to crop just the same, some good years and
some poor years.

BTW. that washing soda treatment is good for onion foliage mildew as
well !

I wonder if anyone else can
weigh in with information on the useful lifetime.

I would be interested also.

and now that I have a bit more leisure time to spare,
what were the species used in those 'giant gooseberry' competitions of
yesteryear ? That could be fun, in a sorta way !

Old 24-07-2007, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

what were the species used in those 'giant gooseberry' competitions

Ooops, I meant, of course, varieties not species !

Old 24-07-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

The powdery mildew never stopped them from making fine preserves,

Or even for stewing or pies, in my experience. It rubs off very easily.

Most of the time. Sometimes it settles into a sort of black sludge
though.

Oh, I haven't experienced that :-(

And infected berries seem to be smaller.

Perhaps - but we don't know how big they would have been if they hadn't had
the mildew :-)

I see I wasn't very careful in the previous post, and implied I pulled
mine
out because of the mildew.

Yes, I thought you had.

Mostly was because of age, I believe they
were about 20-25 years old. Also we put a low stone wall along the
drive, which they impeded somewhat. Had they been super croppers I
would have kept, though.

We moved ours last year to a site where it would get more sun but it hasn't
been any better. We're gong to move it - and the currants - back so that we
can have a dedicated site to build a proper cage. I think our gooseberry
could be thirty years old, come to think of it ... perhaps we should
consider a new one.

Mary