Old 28-04-2007, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden banter

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:21:01 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

That may be a requirement of subscribing to gardenbanter, you have to be an
idiot!

When did you subscribe?
Old 28-04-2007, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:53:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I often wonder what would happen if someone here gave such bad advice that
it wrecked a Gardenbanter reader's garden. Who would the victim sue -
Gardenbanter, obviously.

Don't be silly, Sacha, this is the Internet! Nobody could sue anyone
for "bad advice" gleaned from here OR Gardenbanter!

If people take gardening advice from here or Gardenbanter as gospel,
then they deserve ALL they get.

Old 28-04-2007, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Denis Herrera
writes
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:28:10 +0100, chris French
wrote:

You'll need to try harder though to get out of my killfile

LOL!

You're replying to his message, yet you claim he's in your killfile?

Yep, it's not mutually exclusive, he was then, and he still is now.

I saw that he had replied to message of mine in the thread, and on the
off chance he had posted useful/entertaining etc. reply I downloaded
that particular message.

However, it was his usual sort of rubbish.
--
Chris French

Old 28-04-2007, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

You could have sent them an email telling them they were too late, and,
that
if they had read urg they would have stood a better chance!

I did Alan but some of them couldn't understand what I was talking about,
they had seen the message, albeit 1 year later and couldn't get it into
their heads that it was 12 months old.

That may be a requirement of subscribing to gardenbanter, you have to be an
idiot!

I don't know why you think a blanket insult of a portion of the
readership is acceptable Alan?

I think that characterising people who read URG via Gardenbanter as
idiots really isn't in the spirit of friendliness/helpfullness that
generally imbues posts to URG.

Likelihood is that a lot of people who come across URG via Gardenbanter
(or another web interface to newsgroups) are probably newer users of the
net and have probably never heard of newsgroups before or realise what
they are, that you can read them via a newsreader etc. Few people who I
know, who either aren't pretty technically minded, or have been using
the net for a pretty long time really know anything about newsgroups.

Reading via GB is perfectly valid, and maybe for some people the best
way. OK, some people have issues with the running of the site, but
insulting users because of that isn't on really.

One poster was quite rude, said I shouldn't post about stuff I hadn't got
etc etc.

Not much you can do about that, if you responded in the same way it could go
on and on, perhaps best to just ignore it, or you could have said that if
(s)he had read a proper newsgroup, they would have got what they wanted.

They are reading a 'proper' newsgroup, the same one that you and I are
reading, just via a different method. Pointing out that lots of us find
that using a newsreader is a much 'better' way, more efficient, quicker
etc. is fine, abusing people for their choice doesn't seem to me to be
so (and there certainly is an element of that in this thread)
--
Chris French

Old 28-04-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

I am so pleased to see you are joining in the fun. but no need to shout
about it.

Mike

Please do NOT cut off my advertising signature when copying my posts. They
are there for a purpose and if cut off when copied to Garden banter, then
that is advertising lost.

I trim all my replies whether they contain advertising or not, and wish
others would do the same. I find trawling through several replies just to
reach the bottom to read a pointless comment rather tiresome.

Mike

Old 28-04-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/4/07 20:40, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

snip
Please do NOT cut off my advertising signature when copying my posts. They
are there for a purpose and if cut off when copied to Garden banter, then
that is advertising lost.

I trim all my replies whether they contain advertising or not, and wish
others would do the same. I find trawling through several replies just to
reach the bottom to read a pointless comment rather tiresome.

Mike

Gardenbanter contains a link to a Royal Naval site called Rumration. As
Crowe says above, this is why Crowe doesn't want you to trim his sigfile
because Gardenbanter can pick it up and bring him new customers. His
advertising signature is, indeed, there for a purpose and this group, urg,
is his Trojan horse, it seems.

This is a high traffic group, so every time he posts to urg, his sigfile
appears in Gardenbanter which could explain why he is so vociferously pro it
and so venomously anti those of us who object to our posts being hijacked
without so much as a 'by your leave'. Crowe is using the trouble he makes
on urg to promote his interests through Gardenbanter.

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-04-2007, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/4/07 20:40, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Garden Banter doesn't need your permission Hubbard to use your posts :-))

Live with it. :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 28-04-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 3:47 pm, Sacha wrote:
Up to now, this group has tended to approach things from the opposite pov
and encourage those who post from Gardenbanter here, to join urg direct.
That way they'll see everything, rather than what Gardenbanter chooses for
them to see.
But ignoring it. Some time ago, I wrote telling them that I don't want them
to print my articles and that they do not have my permission to do so. I
know at least one other person did the same. Because I don't earn a living
writing here there is no point in suing them because I can't show that I am
losing by their actions.
All I can do is express my contempt for them.

I'm not sure that I understand this Gardenbanter thing, is it a
commerical site and why do they steal postings to urg?

Judith

Old 28-04-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/4/07 21:39, in article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 27, 3:47 pm, Sacha wrote:
Up to now, this group has tended to approach things from the opposite pov
and encourage those who post from Gardenbanter here, to join urg direct.
That way they'll see everything, rather than what Gardenbanter chooses for
them to see.
But ignoring it. Some time ago, I wrote telling them that I don't want them
to print my articles and that they do not have my permission to do so. I
know at least one other person did the same. Because I don't earn a living
writing here there is no point in suing them because I can't show that I am
losing by their actions.
All I can do is express my contempt for them.

I'm not sure that I understand this Gardenbanter thing, is it a
commerical site and why do they steal postings to urg?

Because they are a commercial site and use postings to urg to lure people
into their own site which contains commercial advertising.
I imagine that they rely on the fact that most people don't have the
money/time/will to take on a commercial site to protect their own posts to a
newsgroup. Perhaps one/some of us should look at that a little more
closely.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/4/07 21:39, in article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 27, 3:47 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Garden Banter does not need permission to use your posts Hubbard.

Live with it.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
" writes
On Apr 27, 3:47 pm, Sacha wrote:
Up to now, this group has tended to approach things from the opposite pov
and encourage those who post from Gardenbanter here, to join urg direct.
That way they'll see everything, rather than what Gardenbanter chooses for
them to see.
But ignoring it. Some time ago, I wrote telling them that I don't want them
to print my articles and that they do not have my permission to do so. I
know at least one other person did the same. Because I don't earn a living
writing here there is no point in suing them because I can't show that I am
losing by their actions.
All I can do is express my contempt for them.

I'm not sure that I understand this Gardenbanter thing, is it a
commerical site and why do they steal postings to urg?

Gardenbanter is one of number of sites under the 'Newsgroupbanter'
banner- basically a web interface onto various newsgroups. Similar to
Googlegroups, though AIUI only to a subset of groups. As well as URG, GB
also presents a number of other gardening groups, such as rec.gardens
etc.

When you access the site, the ubiquitous Google ads appear on the pages,
intended of course to make money for GB et al.

Some people object to this aspect of making money by effectively using
the posts to newsgroups as the content for their site without permission
of the posters, hence the 'stealing' aspect. A reasonable POV, though
not one I share personally. It's not something that bothers me.

But the discussion has been done to death here before really.

--
Chris French

Old 29-04-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris French" wrote in message
In message .com,
" writes
On Apr 27, 3:47 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

That is http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk which Hubbard is advertising. Well
worth a look and full of lots of interesting information from lots of
sights.

Go and take a peek over the fence.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/4/07 20:40, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Well it looks as if the site that he would have folk visit is as dormant and
useless as his previous attempts to reunite ex shipmates. The power of
advertising does not seem to work in his case.

Old 29-04-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:

Are you surprised?

Like your sig, Anne.

Freiheit ist immer die Freiheit der Andersdenkende

Regards

Alan
Old 29-04-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Well it looks as if the site that he would have folk visit is as dormant
and useless as his previous attempts to reunite ex shipmates. The power
of advertising does not seem to work in his case.

:-))

Try being my postman :-))

Fat lot you know :-))

Mike