Old 27-04-2007, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden banter

Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/ I did not know our group
was available in this form.

Mike

Old 27-04-2007, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/4/07 08:17, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41 I did not know our group
was available in this form.

They take the posts from here - without permission - and use them there.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 08:17, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41 I did not know our
group
was available in this form.

They take the posts from here - without permission - and use them there.
--
Sacha

Show me the copyright on any of these postings.

Mike
--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 08:17, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41 I did not know our
group
was available in this form.

They take the posts from here - without permission - and use them there.
--
Sacha

Show me the copyright on any of these postings.

Copyright doesn't have to be stated to exist. Just about everything
one writes is automatically copyright and this applies to newsgroup
postings as much as anything else. However because of the public
nature of newsgroups it's accepted that their contents are fairly
freely quotable without infringing the original writer's copyright.

At least this is my understanding.

--
Chris Green
Old 27-04-2007, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 08:17, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41 I did not know our
group
was available in this form.

They take the posts from here - without permission - and use them
there.
--
Sacha

Show me the copyright on any of these postings.

Copyright doesn't have to be stated to exist. Just about everything
one writes is automatically copyright and this applies to newsgroup
postings as much as anything else. However because of the public
nature of newsgroups it's accepted that their contents are fairly
freely quotable without infringing the original writer's copyright.

At least this is my understanding.

--
Chris Green

Can't argue about the first bit but I quite agree about the newsgroups being
'free and easy' with regards their content. However, as Sacha is paranoid
about Garden banter 'pinching her articles', what sort of case would she
have to sue them? A case of laugh in her face? :-)

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

Copyright doesn't have to be stated to exist. Just about everything
one writes is automatically copyright and this applies to newsgroup
postings as much as anything else. However because of the public
nature of newsgroups it's accepted that their contents are fairly
freely quotable without infringing the original writer's copyright.

At least this is my understanding.

I think we all know that is the case but what some of us object to is the
freeloading for commercial purposes. They're 'stealing' other peoples'
knowledge, information, experiences and using them to promote their own
interests and they haven't even asked if they may do so. It's shabby and
greedy, as are those who endorse it, not that many here do.
What is interesting is that on the home page there is this:
"The comments are property of their posters. "

I often wonder what would happen if someone here gave such bad advice that
it wrecked a Gardenbanter reader's garden. Who would the victim sue -
Gardenbanter, obviously.

Old 27-04-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

[...]

You ALWAYS create merry hell when a posting comes up from Garden banter and
lay down the law.

Why don't you sue them?

All mouth on here are you?

Put up or shut up.

:-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

Copyright doesn't have to be stated to exist. Just about everything
one writes is automatically copyright and this applies to newsgroup
postings as much as anything else. However because of the public
nature of newsgroups it's accepted that their contents are fairly
freely quotable without infringing the original writer's copyright.

At least this is my understanding.

I think we all know that is the case but what some of us object to is the
freeloading for commercial purposes. They're 'stealing' other peoples'
knowledge, information, experiences and using them to promote their own
interests and they haven't even asked if they may do so. It's shabby and
greedy, as are those who endorse it, not that many here do.

Quite, but I suspect that there's little one can do about it except
possibly to join Gardenbanter and make one's case there in the hope
that its readers will move to Usenet proper.

What is interesting is that on the home page there is this:
"The comments are property of their posters. "

So they are at least acknowledging your/my copyright.

--
Chris Green
Old 27-04-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Whilst searching the web for something else I came across this
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41 I did not know our
group was available in this form.

Just ignore it and stay in this group!

Alan

Mike

Old 27-04-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden banter to introduce a 15GBP/month subscription fee

In message ,

Quite, but I suspect that there's little one can do about it except
possibly to join Gardenbanter and make one's case there in the hope
that its readers will move to Usenet proper.

Why bother joining. Those reading garden banter will see these posts
and as a result soon get to know that the site they are using is not the
true source of the information they are reading.

Changing the subject line may also get their attention

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 27-04-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/4/07 12:56, in article ,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

[...]

Up to now, this group has tended to approach things from the opposite pov
and encourage those who post from Gardenbanter here, to join urg direct.
That way they'll see everything, rather than what Gardenbanter chooses for
them to see.

What is interesting is that on the home page there is this:
"The comments are property of their posters. "

So they are at least acknowledging your/my copyright.

But ignoring it. Some time ago, I wrote telling them that I don't want them
to print my articles and that they do not have my permission to do so. I
know at least one other person did the same. Because I don't earn a living
writing here there is no point in suing them because I can't show that I am
losing by their actions.
All I can do is express my contempt for them.

Old 27-04-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 12:56, in article ,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

[...]

and get hot under the collar every time Garden banter is mentioned.

Poor poor sad sad old woman :-((

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike'
writes

Show me the copyright on any of these postings.

Mike

It is actually annoying that they do this because some years ago I
posted to THIS group, happy to give away seeds
I had spare. About 1 year later they put it on their website and I got
emails from lots of unknown people all demanding spare seeds, of which I
had no more! It was disappointing for the emailer as well.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 27-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , 'Mike'
writes

It is actually annoying that they do this because some years ago I posted
to THIS group, happy to give away seeds
I had spare. About 1 year later they put it on their website and I got
emails from lots of unknown people all demanding spare seeds, of which I
had no more! It was disappointing for the emailer as well.

Perhaps we should all add "Message not posted to garden banter" to our
signature line. Or perhaps, "Message stolen by garden banter" Oh what fun we
could have.

Mike
Message not posted to garden banter