Old 29-04-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans - horse manure

Last year I had great success with runner beans grown in large tubs.
This year I was thinking of using horse manure 6 months old in the base of
the containers with garden compost filling up the remaining 2 thirds.
Any thoughts?

SH

Old 29-04-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Runner Beans will do best on ground which has had a liberal helping of
moisture retaining compost or well rotted manure.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 30-04-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Springtime" wrote in message
Not in my experience - we have a very sandy soil.

The previous poster did say 'will do best on ground which has had a liberal
helping of moisture retaining compost or well rotted manure', or did you
miss that bit?

.. .

Old 30-04-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Springtime" wrote in message
Last year I had great success with runner beans grown in large tubs.

[...]

I was planning to do this. Maybe you could tell me
what size of pot?
how many plants per pot?
and is feeding necessary?
in your opinion.

tia

tim w

Old 30-04-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:54:49 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"Springtime" wrote in message
.. .
Last year I had great success with runner beans grown in large tubs.

[...]

I was planning to do this. Maybe you could tell me
what size of pot?
how many plants per pot?
and is feeding necessary?
in your opinion.

I've mentioned this here before.
The best runner beans I ever had were grown in half barrels.
The barrels were half filled with well rotted horse manure, then
topped up with good loam.
About 10 beans were planted, within a cane wigwam. With regular
watering, and in full sun, they were beans to die for! They were
grown by a friend in the New Forest.

Pam in Bristol