Old 30-04-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats in the compost bin

found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others living
there?
Old 30-04-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mewthree wrote:
found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others
living there?

Chain a cat to your compost bin.

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire

Old 30-04-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Nitro®" writes:
| mewthree wrote:
| found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
| out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others
| living there?
|
| Chain a cat to your compost bin.

Nah. The average modern mog merely makes good rat food. You need
a decent terrier or good sized farmyard mog.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 17:36, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , "Nitro®"
writes:
| mewthree wrote:
| found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
| out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others
| living there?
|
| Chain a cat to your compost bin.

Nah. The average modern mog merely makes good rat food. You need
a decent terrier or good sized farmyard mog.

I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily rates.
;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| In article , "Nitro®"
| writes:
| | mewthree wrote:
| | found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
| | out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others
| | living there?
| |
| | Chain a cat to your compost bin.
|
| Nah. The average modern mog merely makes good rat food. You need
| a decent terrier or good sized farmyard mog.
|

| I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily rates.
| ;-)

Just as well it's only two dogs, or the Politically Correct would be
down on you like a ton of bricks!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 5:48 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily rates.

| ;-)

Just as well it's only two dogs, or the Politically Correct would be
down on you like a ton of bricks!

I have a gun, so far I can kill 4 in a given day.

We have to have the pest man come in, oh the shame of it! I do wish
he wouldn't turn up in his rat/mice van advertising to all and sundry
that we are infested with vermin, I must have a quick word with
Hyacynth so see what she does.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 11:33 pm, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Hi,

We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all cooked
food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have never returned.

I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very few, into
a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a year or so to
'completely' decompose.

Good luck,

Keith

I think I've had a funny turn, I read Keith's post as being posted
tonight at 11.33p.m. I must be more jet lagged than I thought, I'd
better put my watch right, thanks Keith I would have been very late
for the office tomorrow if you hadn't posted.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

| We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all cooked
| food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have never returned.
|
| I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very few, into
| a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a year or so to
| 'completely' decompose.

I have never had that problem. When they do visit the heap, it is
for nesting and the worms.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

| We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all
cooked
| food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have never
returned.

| I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very few,
into
| a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a year or so to
| 'completely' decompose.

I have never had that problem. When they do visit the heap, it is
for nesting and the worms.

hhmm, now that I know compost bins aren't smelly another problem arises. we
get rats in the field behind us. I haven't seen any in the garden. but
that's not to say they don't dare enter our garden (despite having three
cats).

the rats go into next doors garden to chew on the fallen apples.

and now I have ordered a compost bin. that just means potentially more dead
rats care of one of my cats!!

Old 30-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all
cooked food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have
never returned.

I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very
few, into a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a
year or so to 'completely' decompose.

I have never had that problem. When they do visit the heap, it is
for nesting and the worms.

Ours made a nest in the top of the bin. Warmth from the compost process in
the winter, bits of veg to nibble and lots of worms. Rat heaven!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!"

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.p...ur&oldid=16029

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 30-04-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 6:13 pm, Martin wrote:
On 30 Apr 2007 10:09:53 -0700, "

wrote:
Hi,

We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all cooked
food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have never returned.

I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very few, into
a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a year or so to
'completely' decompose.

Good luck,

Keith

I think I've had a funny turn, I read Keith's post as being posted
tonight at 11.33p.m. I must be more jet lagged than I thought, I'd
better put my watch right, thanks Keith I would have been very late
for the office tomorrow if you hadn't posted.

Where are you?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

On another planet by the looks of things.

Judith

Old 30-04-2007, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 17:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| In article , "Nitro®"
| writes:
| | mewthree wrote:
| | found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it
shot
| | out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others
| | living there?
| |
| | Chain a cat to your compost bin.
|
| Nah. The average modern mog merely makes good rat food. You need
| a decent terrier or good sized farmyard mog.
|

| I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily
rates.
| ;-)

Just as well it's only two dogs, or the Politically Correct would be
down on you like a ton of bricks!

Sorry, I don't understand that. Why?

Old 30-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| | I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily
| rates.
| | ;-)
|
| Just as well it's only two dogs, or the Politically Correct would be
| down on you like a ton of bricks!
|
| Sorry, I don't understand that. Why?

The recent law making hunting mammals with dogs illegal refers to three
or more dogs, as far as I recall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 20:31, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| | I have a Jack Russell and a wire-haired dachshund at reasonable daily
| rates.
| | ;-)
|
| Just as well it's only two dogs, or the Politically Correct would be
| down on you like a ton of bricks!
|
| Sorry, I don't understand that. Why?

The recent law making hunting mammals with dogs illegal refers to three
or more dogs, as far as I recall.

Aren't rats classed as vermin? So do those rules apply? I must make sure
the dogs read the books when they're up the nursery, foraging around......