Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone recommend someone to remove ivy from my back wall

I don't want to do it myself... I know this may sound shocking on a
gardening newsgroup but I'm not a garden person, I like sitting out there
with my coffee and looking at the flowers but don't like the work.

Can anyone recommend someone in East London who knows what they're doing,
to remove ivy from the back of our house? It's beginning to take over, and
now that today it's raining for the first time in months, it's going to
grow even more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/488155387/

It's full of nasty webs and it's beginning to push in through the windows
and under the rooftiles. And I don't know what I'm doing, so yanking at it
would not be a good idea.

I realise I should have cut it back a few months ago but it's too late for
that now.

Any recommendations of cheap ivy removal people in East London would be
appreciated...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tristán White wrote:

Can anyone recommend someone in East London who knows what they're doing,
to remove ivy from the back of our house? It's beginning to take over, and
now that today it's raining for the first time in months, it's going to
grow even more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/488155387/

It's full of nasty webs and it's beginning to push in through the windows
and under the rooftiles. And I don't know what I'm doing, so yanking at it
would not be a good idea.

I know you said you didnt want to DIY, but it would make it much easier,
and stop the growing, if firstly, you follow it down to where it is
growing from, then just cut through the trunk part, or parts.
What is already on the walls will then die off within 2 weeks.
If I was asked to remove it, that is what I would do first, then I'd
come back 2 weeks later to clear the remains off.

This will make it far easier to remove, as it tends to root into the
tiniest cracks in the wall, and when alive, these roots are quite
strong. When dead, they dry and get brittle, thus making it easier to
remove.
Alan.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(A.Lee) wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip!!

I'll do just that. Then either pull it off myself, or look for someone to
remove it professionally (I'm mostly worried about the rooftiles and
dislodging them when I pull, and the pointing between the chimney stack).
Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A.Lee wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

I have tried this with an infestation - I didn't work - the Ivy seemed
to be getting moisture fron the wall. By all means chop it off at the
knees but a good dose (or 2) of Root Out works wonders. Spray the top
growth and put crystals on the freshly cut root and protect from rain -
Duct tape works well) - this should kill the root.

Malcolm
Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm Race wrote in
:

I have tried this with an infestation - I didn't work - the Ivy seemed
to be getting moisture fron the wall. By all means chop it off at the
knees but a good dose (or 2) of Root Out works wonders. Spray the top
growth and put crystals on the freshly cut root and protect from rain
- Duct tape works well) - this should kill the root.

We have two cats that often play in and around the ivy. Could this harm
them?

Old 20-05-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tristán White" wrote in message
. 109.145...

Thanks for the tip!!

I'll do just that. Then either pull it off myself, or look for someone to
remove it professionally (I'm mostly worried about the rooftiles and
dislodging them when I pull, and the pointing between the chimney stack).

A flat opposite mine had the same problem. (2nd floor)

Chopping the roots worked, although the ivy died off over a few weeks it
took several months it started to fall away from the wall.

18 months later the original ivy plant is starting to climb again but is
only 4-5 ft from the ground.

Can someone recommend a tree for this purpose? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 09-02-2017 06:26 PM
Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Ivy alert! It can be a wall killer [email protected] Gardening 0 03-06-2009 05:55 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Can someone recommend comprehensive plant database? Bernie Gardening 3 25-07-2003 05:22 AM