Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't buy a plastic greenhouse from the garden centre!

WARNING: If you have started potting seedlings and you are considering
buying a plastic greenhouse you may have seen whilst in the garden
centre just STOP!!!

I was going to buy a plastic greenhouse that I've seen for sale with
about 3 to 5 shelves in it, that is free standing to put in the garden
and take most advantage of the sun we are getting.

But then I searched all the internet shopping sites I could and found
on the Woolworths website a massive Walk-In greenhouse that takes more
than four times as many plants!

Just look at the photograph of it on my blog at
http://householdproductreviews.blogs...oolworths.html
if you are interested.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 May, 19:26, Gadget Man wrote:
WARNING: If you have started potting seedlings and you are considering
buying a plastic greenhouse you may have seen whilst in the garden
centre just STOP!!!

I was going to buy a plastic greenhouse that I've seen for sale with
about 3 to 5 shelves in it, that is free standing to put in the garden
and take most advantage of the sun we are getting.

But then I searched all the internet shopping sites I could and found
on the Woolworths website a massive Walk-In greenhouse that takes more
than four times as many plants!

Just look at the photograph of it on my blog athttp://householdproductreviews.blogspot.com/2007/05/grow-plants-faste...
if you are interested.

They have some good offers.
I bought 4 "3 tier hanging baskets" from them brilliant value.
http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/home/index.jhtml
I was amazed at just what they have on offer.
Not at all like the old Woolies.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-05-2007, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 May 2007 11:26:13 -0700, Gadget Man wrote:

WARNING: If you have started potting seedlings and you are considering
buying a plastic greenhouse you may have seen whilst in the garden
centre just STOP!!!

I was going to buy a plastic greenhouse that I've seen for sale with
about 3 to 5 shelves in it, that is free standing to put in the garden
and take most advantage of the sun we are getting.

But then I searched all the internet shopping sites I could and found
on the Woolworths website a massive Walk-In greenhouse that takes more
than four times as many plants!

Just look at the photograph of it on my blog at
http://householdproductreviews.blogs...oolworths.html
if you are interested.

I'm wondering how such a thing would have fared in todays very gusty
winds. It looks very lightweight. How would you secure it?

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I had one of the smaller versions like that in my last house before I had
room for a proper greenhouse. I woke up one morning to find the frame there
but the plastic gone!! It had blown off and we found it at the very end of
the road wrapped round a lamp post and torn to shreds!!!The frame does come
in handy in my greenhouse now though in place of some staging!
Mel.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have had one of the small ones for 3 years and I am already on the second
plastic covering. To be fair Gardmans were very good about sending a
replacement when I complained that the zips were splitting away from the
plastic. Now I put bungees around the whole thing to stop the wind billowing
it out and put small paving slabs in the bottom to stabilise it and absorb
some warmth during the day. It has enabled me to start my tomatoes off well
enough but I can't wait for the day when I havce a proper
greenhouse/poly-tunnel.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I'm wondering how such a thing would have fared in todays very gusty

winds. It looks very lightweight. How would you secure it?

I think you need to carry out a few adjustments. They come with ties on the
corner to secure the cover to the frame and also with four guy ropes to
secure to the ground. There are also (I think 4) tent peg type things to
secure the frame to the ground. I attached loops of string at intervals all
around the bottom of the cover and secured to the ground with more tent
pegs, and also put in a few more pegs to secure the frame to the ground.
A bit of work involved but it seems to have paid off, mine survived last
year and is ok so far this year

--
Barb

Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 10:12, "Barb" wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I'm wondering how such a thing would have fared in todays very gusty

winds. It looks very lightweight. How would you secure it?

I think you need to carry out a few adjustments. They come with ties on the
corner to secure the cover to the frame and also with four guy ropes to
secure to the ground. There are also (I think 4) tent peg type things to
secure the frame to the ground. I attached loops of string at intervals all
around the bottom of the cover and secured to the ground with more tent
pegs, and also put in a few more pegs to secure the frame to the ground.
A bit of work involved but it seems to have paid off, mine survived last
year and is ok so far this year

--
Barb

Hi Barb,

Do you have the walk in one from Woolworths?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gadget Man" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do you have the walk in one from Woolworths?

Hi there,
Mine actually came from Poundstretcher but pretty much the same as the
Woolworths one

--
Barb

Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony Ward" wrote in message
I have had one of the small ones for 3 years and

My wife purchased two small ones and one lasted just 3 DAYS before it was
damaged beyond repair by wind. Since then we have tied the other to a fence
the same height as the greenhouse and it's survived three months so far.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 May 2007 11:26:13 -0700, Gadget Man wrote:

WARNING: If you have started potting seedlings and you are considering
buying a plastic greenhouse you may have seen whilst in the garden
centre just STOP!!!

I was going to buy a plastic greenhouse that I've seen for sale with
about 3 to 5 shelves in it, that is free standing to put in the garden
and take most advantage of the sun we are getting.

But then I searched all the internet shopping sites I could and found
on the Woolworths website a massive Walk-In greenhouse that takes more
than four times as many plants!

Just look at the photograph of it on my blog at
http://householdproductreviews.blogs...oolworths.html
if you are interested.

I had one of these a few years ago. It worked very well for a season -
but I failed to remove the cover over winter and the weather took its
toll.
Having patched it up with clear gaffa tape it survived another season,
but the cover fell to pieces during the Autumn.

This year I bought a replacement from Woolies.
I thought I was getting the same sort of thing ( about 5' x 4' ), but
on opening the box it turned out to be rather smaller ( about 4' x 2
1/2' - so half the size of the first one...not so much a 'walk in'
greenhouse, more a 'strand outside of' ) - but the cover is made from
a much sturdier plastic ( it has reinforcing fabric embedded in it, as
opposed to the plain plastic of the original ) and looks as though it
will last a lot longer than the previous greenhouse ( and it'll be
easier to remove the cover come Winter ).

I had very good results with the last affair - it's an excellent,
cheap way of providing a protected space for raising seeds/cuttings
etc. and growing plants/veg that need a bit of extra heat.
Leave a couple of full watering cans in the greenhouse - the water
will pick up the heat of the day and give it up as night draws in.
It's not much, but I found it worked well in my second season of
growing in the greenhouse.
It's well worth growing a cucumber plant in one of these things -
they're as easy to grow as courgettes and the flavour of the fruits is
far superior to anything shop-bought. I recommend Telegraph as a
variety.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
This year I bought a replacement from Woolies. I thought I was getting
the same sort of thing ( about 5' x 4' ), but on opening the box it
turned out to be rather smaller ( about 4' x 2 1/2' - so half the size
of the first one...not so much a 'walk in' greenhouse, more a 'strand
outside of' )

They seem to do two sizes: the one you bought (now out of stock) and one
twice the size (190 x 120 cm); the smaller one seems always to have been
29.99, and the bigger one is marked down to that from 59.99 - at least,
that is what I think: the pictures are identical....

It was ideal for our daughter, who expects to move soon....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:13:10 +0100, Klara
wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
This year I bought a replacement from Woolies. I thought I was getting
the same sort of thing ( about 5' x 4' ), but on opening the box it
turned out to be rather smaller ( about 4' x 2 1/2' - so half the size
of the first one...not so much a 'walk in' greenhouse, more a 'strand
outside of' )

They seem to do two sizes: the one you bought (now out of stock) and one
twice the size (190 x 120 cm); the smaller one seems always to have been
29.99, and the bigger one is marked down to that from 59.99 - at least,
that is what I think: the pictures are identical....

It was ideal for our daughter, who expects to move soon....

The one I got was marked down from £60.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:13:10 +0100, Klara
wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
This year I bought a replacement from Woolies. I thought I was getting
the same sort of thing ( about 5' x 4' ), but on opening the box it
turned out to be rather smaller ( about 4' x 2 1/2' - so half the size
of the first one...not so much a 'walk in' greenhouse, more a 'strand
outside of' )

They seem to do two sizes: the one you bought (now out of stock) and one
twice the size (190 x 120 cm); the smaller one seems always to have been
29.99, and the bigger one is marked down to that from 59.99 - at least,
that is what I think: the pictures are identical....

It was ideal for our daughter, who expects to move soon....

The one I got was marked down from £60.

Regards,

Oh, I thought that might be the difference. Otherwise with two
apparently identical ones, one is out of stock, the other isn't.
We got the 190 x 120, or so it says, but no time to actually set it up
yet, so who knows....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:12:42 +0100, Klara
wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:13:10 +0100, Klara
wrote:

snip.

It was ideal for our daughter, who expects to move soon....

The one I got was marked down from £60.

Oh, I thought that might be the difference. Otherwise with two
apparently identical ones, one is out of stock, the other isn't.
We got the 190 x 120, or so it says, but no time to actually set it up
yet, so who knows....

They list the one you have ( the larger ) as a 'walk in greenhouse',
and the other as a 'compact walk in greenhouse' ( 143 x 73 cm )
Had I looked more closely at the catalogue I'd have gone for the
larger one - but having had a similar one before, and having seen how
much tougher the cover is on the small one, I'm happy with my deal.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:12:42 +0100, Klara
wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:13:10 +0100, Klara
wrote:

snip.

It was ideal for our daughter, who expects to move soon....

The one I got was marked down from £60.

Oh, I thought that might be the difference. Otherwise with two
apparently identical ones, one is out of stock, the other isn't.
We got the 190 x 120, or so it says, but no time to actually set it up
yet, so who knows....

They list the one you have ( the larger ) as a 'walk in greenhouse',
and the other as a 'compact walk in greenhouse' ( 143 x 73 cm )
Had I looked more closely at the catalogue I'd have gone for the
larger one - but having had a similar one before, and having seen how
much tougher the cover is on the small one, I'm happy with my deal.

Judging by various other contributors' problems, I am sure you are
better off! Our daughter (in Norfolk) was weighting hers down this
morning in the gale....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin