Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. F**king Ramblers

On Fri, 11 May 2007 10:55:35 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

A key identifier of a "rambler" rather than people out for a walk enjoying
the countryside, is their "attitude". They could care less for anything
other than what they believe is their God given right to roam freely across
farmland, damaging crops, letting out livestock etc

no, that's idiots and vandals. "Ramblers" are either RA members or a
social walking group of RA members, I've never met a walker in a
lifetime of walking with the attitudes you describe, I would therefore
conclude they would belong to "non walkers", the sort of people who
think they can picnic in your fields*. Any RA member knows that right
to roam does not include farmers fields.

*however I did once see a "group" do this, never found out who they
were. The said field was opposite a pub, they ate their packed lunches
in the field and used the pubs toilets, without even asking. I had
seen them getting lost earlier on simple ground. I uncharitably
concluded they were a church group, based solely on appearances, most
unfair.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:43:38 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside, and
never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

rubbish.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote

"Muddymike" wrote in message

Being both a walker and a 4X4 owner who occasionally enjoys a trundle
around a few high level unsurfaced county roads and BOAT's I does **** me
off that the ramblers association seems to want all lanes restricted to
walkers. They already enjoy thousands of miles of public footpaths
against a miniscule few hundred miles of vehicle rights of way.

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside,
and never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

Well the wife and I certainly do not walk slowly but all the gangs of
Ramblers we have met have been strolling and chatting and seemingly not at
all interested in what is around them such that I've had to politely raise
my voice on more than one occasion to get past them as they wandered all
over the track with their walking poles flailing.
I can't understand why anyone would want to walk in the countryside but
frighten away any wildlife there may be nearby.
We have stumbled upon deer of various species as close as 10ft before they
took fright just be being quiet.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:48:31 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

but all the gangs of
Ramblers we have met have been strolling and chatting and seemingly not at
all interested in what is around them

now that does ring true, the RA social walking group, more interested
in chatting than the countryside, many RA members try them just
once....
I do sometimes walk with a couple of friends who only do it as
exercise and just want to talk about nothing for hours. Its amazing
how long they will go without an answer or comment.

such that I've had to politely raise
my voice on more than one occasion to get past them as they wandered all
over the track with their walking poles flailing.

I've got nothing against poles, save the knees
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside, and
never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

rubbish, Alan! Loads of RA members are interested in nature and walk
fairly fast, its perfectly possible to take stuff in and get from A to
B. My pace is governed by either the need to get to the summit and
back beofre dark or to the pub before it closes!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside,
and
never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

rubbish, Alan! Loads of RA members are interested in nature and walk
fairly fast, its perfectly possible to take stuff in and get from A to
B. My pace is governed by either the need to get to the summit and
back beofre dark or to the pub before it closes!

I did go on a RA walk once, but it was impossible to keep up with them and
the leaders were totally unconcerned that they were leaving people behind
who may not have known how to get back to the start.

Other times I have come across them, they have been walking VERY quickly and
taking absolutely no notice of what was happening around them.

Perhaps the group you go with are differnet, but those I have been in touch
with are extreemly selfish.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside,
and
never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

rubbish.

You can be absolutely certain about this, althought you have not met any who
do behave in this fashion?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:19:45 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I did go on a RA walk once, but it was impossible to keep up with them and
the leaders were totally unconcerned that they were leaving people behind
who may not have known how to get back to the start.

you're confusing two things Alan. RA social walking groups and RA
members, most RA members wouldn't touch those groups with a walking
pole!
Rule one of walking (at least mountain walking) is you go at the speed
of the slowest and stay together.

Other times I have come across them, they have been walking VERY quickly and
taking absolutely no notice of what was happening around them.

Groups I've seen are doing what I would call mid pace. I agree they
often are not interested in surroundings, but its not because of the
pace.

Perhaps the group you go with are differnet, but those I have been in touch
with are extreemly selfish.

I don't walk with organised groups.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:23:02 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

rubbish.

You can be absolutely certain about this, althought you have not met any who
do behave in this fashion?

see longer (completed doh!) version
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 May, 15:19, Martin wrote:
That's the ones. Are they discussing us?

My dogs are a mystery to many. Woolfy, tongues reaching the ground,
eyes never meeting yours if you're a stranger and like chickens,
they're always crossing your path unexpectedly, testing and smelling
your fear I suppose tee hee I suspect they're whispering about them
and quietly holding their offspring really tight after I say 'Don't
worry, they've already had breakfast' with an accent I've tried to
perfect for 26 years. It's unique.

I might have guessed. It was either that or chairperson of the local chapter of
the Monty Python silly walking club

Don't make me laugh please!! I've got stiches on my chin. Just
returned from surgery - I fell a few years ago and got this strange
scar on my chin since then. I just had it removed because it took a
life of his own. My kids swear it talked to them and winked. I think
the aneasthesic is wearing off ...

There are lots of ramblers walking along the N E coastal paths, they fill pubs
and order one shandy between six. Occasionally they fall off the cliffs and have
to be air lifted to hospital.

Stop it I tell you!!! Mine's a guinness tonight, thank you. With a
straw would be best.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Normandy is very like South Devon which is probably why my old village was
twinned with Trevieres! The Normans themselves commented on it when they
paid return visits to Devon. Cumbria is of course, famous for its lakes,
fells and dramatic landscape. In Devon, the drama is mostly confined to
the
moors and the rest is green and lush with steep combes in the north of the
county and more shallow, rolling landscapes in the south.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I've just had a look a the map. Trevieres is NE of St Lo. We are at the
southern end of Normandy bordering what they call "Swiss Normandy" because
of the similarity to the Swiss hills and valleys. Some of the views from
around here are stunning. I'll post some photo's on my blog sometime. Been
too busy lately especially with it being garden planting season.

My poor old rotovator is suffering badly - it's already had around 20 broken
bolts replaced over the last year and today it stopped completely.
Thankfully I managed to repair it yet again. It's seen more action in a year
than most see in a lifetime.

David.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
Oh David, get a goat honestly!! My cousin is getting two ponies for a
bit of land she simply cannot manage. She's not sure they're going to
eat what she doesn't like, but at least they'll tremple the weeds. And
the kids will ride the ponies.

I've been considering various livestock. Ideally I want something that will
eat grass to save on the cost and time of getting a sit on lawn mower (which
we badly need but can't afford). Allowing nearby farmers animals to graze
the grass is a bad idea because under French law after a year, they get
legal grazing rights to your land. You can then end up in the silly position
of having to pay them to forego the right if you subsequently sell the
property! I've looked into keeping sheep, goats, pigs and chickens. Have
ruled out sheep as they are too much trouble needing feet trimming,
shearing, worming etc and as someone else told me "a sheep's main interest
in life is finding ever more unusual ways to die!".
Ruled out goats as they won't eat grass but will eat all the flowers and
anything else they can get at. Apparently they are great escape artists too.
Am considering Kune Kune pigs (a New Zealand variety) which apparently are
great grass munchers, make good pets, and don't dig up the land. Also plan
to get some chickens soon - as soon as I've made a chicken shed. The trouble
is there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.

David.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 May, 18:23, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Am considering Kune Kune pigs (a New Zealand variety) which apparently are
great grass munchers, make good pets, and don't dig up the land. Also plan
to get some chickens soon - as soon as I've made a chicken shed. The trouble
is there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.

Too true - I despair seeing the months just going by so fast. Kune
pigs is an excellent idea. Quite unusual. Brilliant in fact. Have fun
with these! But no escuse for the chickens ... ;o)

Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

There are lots of ramblers walking along the N E coastal paths, they fill pubs
and order one shandy between six.

The only ramblers that I've known only think a walk is worthwhile if
they visit six pubs and have a pint in each

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
I have a friend who lives near Brionne, but not being au fait with the
geography of Normandy, I have no idea where, exactly, that is! G

Glancing at the map there are two towns with that name, but neither in
Normandy.

David.