Old 13-05-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello from a keen newbie in Oxford

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a good UK gardening discussion board for a
while now and seems I've found one! Originally from Canada, I now
live in Oxford and am a complete gardening beginner. Not having the
confidence to try a full allotment, I have a few patches of space in
my back garden plus a patio to try pots on. I'm trying to dabble in
growing a few 'easy' veg, herbs and some colourful flowers. All
advice appreciated!!! Today I'm going to read through your posts and
FAQs and see what I can learn before asking questions.

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Oh, and I already have a seed potato in a pot so maybe I can
compete?!

Kimmer-in-Oxford

Old 13-05-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 11:59, wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hullo! And welcome. Sorry to hear about your lettuce. I wonder if you
have naughty fairies in Canada too. The 'spud in a bucket' competition
is now closed. I have won. It's official ... ;o)

Old 13-05-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 May 2007 Kimmer-in-Oxford wrote:

I've been searching for a good UK gardening discussion board for a
while now and seems I've found one! Originally from Canada, I now
live in Oxford and am a complete gardening beginner.

Welcome. I live not too far away in Reading.

Not having the
confidence to try a full allotment, I have a few patches of space in
my back garden plus a patio to try pots on. I'm trying to dabble in
growing a few 'easy' veg, herbs and some colourful flowers. All
advice appreciated!!! Today I'm going to read through your posts and
FAQs and see what I can learn before asking questions.

Ah, there's a wealth of knowledge there. I find it better than gardening
books!

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Probably is slugs. They can do an incredible amount of damage for their
size.

Best wishes, David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 13-05-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David Rance writes
On Sun, 13 May 2007 Kimmer-in-Oxford wrote:

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Probably is slugs. They can do an incredible amount of damage for their
size.

I've been watching my slugs fairly closely recently ;-(
An individual slug doesn't do that much damage in a night. It's the
sheer numbers that do the damage - you're not usually talking about the
odd slug, you're talking about dozens.
--
Kay
Old 13-05-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
David Rance writes
On Sun, 13 May 2007 Kimmer-in-Oxford wrote:

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Probably is slugs. They can do an incredible amount of damage for their
size.

I've been watching my slugs fairly closely recently ;-(
An individual slug doesn't do that much damage in a night. It's the sheer
numbers that do the damage - you're not usually talking about the odd
slug, you're talking about dozens.
--

If you turn up early enough, you find something like this-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture034.jpg

Steve

Old 14-05-2007, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "shazzbat" contains
these words:
"K" wrote in message
David Rance writes
On Sun, 13 May 2007 Kimmer-in-Oxford wrote:

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Probably is slugs. They can do an incredible amount of damage for
their size.

I've been watching my slugs fairly closely recently ;-(
An individual slug doesn't do that much damage in a night. It's the
sheer numbers that do the damage - you're not usually talking about
the odd slug, you're talking about dozens.

If you turn up early enough, you find something like this-
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture034.jpg

Is that horseradish leaves they're chomping on? I have an amazing amount
of ash from the chiminea. I think I might put a circle of ash around
anything susceptible...

Yes it's horseradish. It grows all round the paths on the allotments. I took
that pic when I was working nights, and calling in to do a bit on my way
home at 0500. The place was a mass of slugs of all shapes and sizes, and
some weird colours.

Steve

Old 14-05-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May, 08:08, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Yes it's horseradish. It grows all round the paths on the allotments. I took
that pic when I was working nights, and calling in to do a bit on my way
home at 0500. The place was a mass of slugs of all shapes and sizes, and
some weird colours.

I can't help thinking when I see so many slugs that we ought to be
able to find a way of harvesting them, and .... using them somehow.
Now, I know what you must be thinking. I'm not French for nothing. But
surely, isn't there a way of ... using them?

ps. Steve, you still coming up north at the end of the month?

Old 14-05-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 11:59, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a good UK gardening discussion board for a
while now and seems I've found one! Originally from Canada, I now
live in Oxford and am a complete gardening beginner. Not having the
confidence to try a full allotment, I have a few patches of space in
my back garden plus a patio to try pots on. I'm trying to dabble in
growing a few 'easy' veg, herbs and some colourful flowers. All
advice appreciated!!! Today I'm going to read through your posts and
FAQs and see what I can learn before asking questions.

In the last 2 night something ate all my lettuce I can't imagine
how slugs could do that much damage so must be something bigger.
Hmpf.

Oh, and I already have a seed potato in a pot so maybe I can
compete?!

Kimmer-in-Oxford

Hi Kimmer,
I'm based in Oxford too. Have an allotment in Wolvercote and am a
novice at this blogging lark.
I'm probably going to be blocked for mentioning this but I've set up a
free discussion forum on my site so that people can share their
questions and answers. It's www.complete-gardens.co.uk look in on line
services and a drop down menue shows Garden Forum. I set it up for
people like me who are keen on gardening but pretty clueless - I'm
just a simple photographer who wants to learn. It's quite a lively
forum and free.
If you want to know more please feel free to contact me neil@complete-
gardens.co.uk

Old 14-05-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

runner bean writes

I'm probably going to be blocked for mentioning this

Who do you expect to block you? This is an unmoderated newsgroup ;-)
(and not a blog ;-) )

Look out for the abc... post which will tell you more about what you are
posting to.

And don't worry about being new to gardening - a lot of the posters here
are (and all of them were once)
--
Kay
Old 14-05-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
runner bean writes

And don't worry about being new to gardening - a lot of the posters here
are (and all of them were once)
--
Kay

but some tend to forget that :-((

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-05-2007, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"runner bean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 13 May, 11:59, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should have given the link
http://www.complete-gardens.co.uk/forum/ which avoids having to plough
through loads of overpriced rubbish

Old 15-05-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 14 May, 08:08, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Yes it's horseradish. It grows all round the paths on the allotments. I
took
that pic when I was working nights, and calling in to do a bit on my way
home at 0500. The place was a mass of slugs of all shapes and sizes, and
some weird colours.

I can't help thinking when I see so many slugs that we ought to be
able to find a way of harvesting them, and .... using them somehow.
Now, I know what you must be thinking. I'm not French for nothing. But
surely, isn't there a way of ... using them?

ps. Steve, you still coming up north at the end of the month?

Oh yes, we expect to be in drizzly Disley for a few days, and a trundle
round C-c-H is on the cards. Mustn't alienate my sister in Stretford by
getting that close and not going to see her.

Steve

Old 15-05-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 08:59, "shazzbat"
wrote:
ps. Steve, you still coming up north at the end of the month?

Oh yes, we expect to be in drizzly Disley for a few days, and a trundle
round C-c-H is on the cards. Mustn't alienate my sister in Stretford by
getting that close and not going to see her.

Great. See you then )

Old 15-05-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 11:59, wrote:
[...]

through loads of overpriced rubbish- Hide quoted text -

What gives you Rupert the right to be so a rude about what I have on
my web site.
I am a freelance wildlife cameraman and I've carefully chosen products
to help wildlife in our garden like bird nest boxes, hedgehog boxes
and they are well made out of sustainable wood plus made here in the
UK. I don't like the use of slug pellets so I suggest natural pest
control and the garden and plant advice CD-ROM which I've used
professional authors like Award winning writer Paul Williams plus
other writers with mud under their nails and been paid thousands of
pounds not including the 5 years of my years of my work taking
thousands of images to produce a product to help garden enthusiasts to
find the right plants for their garden conditions, so I ask what gives
you the right to rubbish what I have on my web site when you obviously
don't know anything about the products. The CD-ROMs were awarded Best
New Product at the Glee Garden Trade Show Last autumn where a panel of
14 judges seemed to like what I've produced so I wonder what your
motive was to rubbish me and my site? Were you on some little ego trip
wanting to rubbish my work in order to boost your own self importance?

Old 16-05-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 11:59, wrote:
[...]

I will leave it to others to decide on the usefulness of your site or the
forum.
Nice photographic work the best of luck.