Old 26-05-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

In article , Anne Jackson
writes

Mind you, you're such a crotchetty old bugger, your neighbours probably
don't speak to you... G

Oddly enough and here is one for the budding psychologists among you:
since all the fences blew down in that last wind, we have all become
very buddy buddy and friendly whereas before it was a nod and a grunt on
the way to the car in the morning if you were lucky.

I approve of my new fenceless environment, and so do my apples. Enough
in fact that I was talking to him next door (who is SSW by S of me) the
other day and suggested; as/if supplies become available again, if he
replaced his fence with something 4 foot shorter I would train my apples
along the top in such a way as some would hang over his side which he
would be more than welcome to. As proof of concept I showed him the
enormous (exceptional in fact) amount of potential fruit hanging from
them this year. He seemed like he might be compliant.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features
Old 26-05-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

steve auvache writes
In article , K
writes
steve auvache writes

Problem is that I have a rather large quantity of paper stored ready to
shred. Were it a normal week's collection of junk it would not be a
problem but the sheer mass of it all calls for special treatment as a
one off exercise.

I put all our cardboard bags as well as all our paper waste on to the
compost heap. In winter, the heap is nearly all paper, most of it
unshredded. It copes. The worms seem to be particularly fond of thick
soggy layers of paper.

Can you put a six inch layer of shreddings then find some sort of waste
greenery, enough for a six inch layer, or instead about 2 inches of top
soil, then another 6 inches of shreddings, and so on?

I can put 6 inch layers on the top time and time again. I have enough
coming for many 6 inch layers, probably as many as 40 or 50 six inch
layers and nowhere near enough of other stuff to mix with it.

OK - go for 20-25 12 inch layers then ;-)
I see the size of your problem. Scrounging from neighbours sound like a
good idea. Or do you have a community nature area near you? - they might
be very glad for you to relieve them of a few bags of nettles or
whatever that they've strimmed off.

I can see why your want to pre-digest, but id you did this, I think you
migh end up with a squalchy mess that was really horrible to work with.

--
Kay
Old 27-05-2007, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

I can see why your want to pre-digest, but id you did this, I think you
migh end up with a squalchy mess that was really horrible to work with.

This is what I am concerned about.

Still, on the bright side, I shall soon have half a dozen sacks full
with shreddings that I can experiment with and while I am waiting for
that to ferment my new buddies up and down the road will be supplying me
with something to mix it with, even if they don't know it yet.

Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM
shredded paper for composting bill Gardening 1 24-02-2004 11:19 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM