Old 31-05-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato disease? REQ for advice

Hello all. I' trying to grow some veges in our small garden for the first
time this year. Mainly in pots. I've got three tomato plants that look
like they're infected with something. Pictures available at
www.rupespad.com/drf/tom1.jpg and www.rupespad.com/drf/tom2.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions as to what it is, and the best way forward? It
has been appalingly wet over the last week or so, so I'm wondering if this
may be the problem, and whether they might recover if they get a decent
amount of sun.

The plants were planted in pots containing grow back compost, so
contamination from old soil shouldn't be a problem (though the supporting
canes were one's that were just lying around in the garden). The photos
were taken yesterday, this morning they plants are looking significantly
worse with more dropping of leaves and stems.

TIA

Chris

Old 31-05-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"C Coward" wrote in message
Hello all. I' trying to grow some veges in our small garden for the first
time this year. Mainly in pots. I've got three tomato plants that look
like they're infected with something. Pictures available at
www.rupespad.com/drf/tom1.jpg and www.rupespad.com/drf/tom2.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions as to what it is, and the best way forward? It
has been appalingly wet over the last week or so, so I'm wondering if this
may be the problem, and whether they might recover if they get a decent
amount of sun.

The plants were planted in pots containing grow back compost, so
contamination from old soil shouldn't be a problem (though the supporting
canes were one's that were just lying around in the garden). The photos
were taken yesterday, this morning they plants are looking significantly
worse with more dropping of leaves and stems.

try
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omato_List.htm
or
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html

if I get something on my tomatos I try copper spray first.
rob

Old 31-05-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 May, 09:50, C Coward wrote:
[...]

I've had exactly the same problem. I grow tomatoes every year and this
is the first time I've encountered this. At first I was thinking it
maybe the prolongued rain. I will investigate further.

Uncle

Old 31-05-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 May 2007 08:50:03 GMT, C Coward wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Hello all. I' trying to grow some veges in our small garden for the first
time this year. Mainly in pots. I've got three tomato plants that look
like they're infected with something. Pictures available at
www.rupespad.com/drf/tom1.jpg and www.rupespad.com/drf/tom2.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions as to what it is, and the best way forward? It
has been appalingly wet over the last week or so, so I'm wondering if this
may be the problem, and whether they might recover if they get a decent
amount of sun.

The plants were planted in pots containing grow back compost, so
contamination from old soil shouldn't be a problem (though the supporting
canes were one's that were just lying around in the garden). The photos
were taken yesterday, this morning they plants are looking significantly
worse with more dropping of leaves and stems.

My first thought was "essential mineral deficiency", possibly
magnesium. If you've had that much rain maybe all the goodness and
nutrients have been washed out of the pots.

You could google for Epsom Salt treatment. Shouldn't do any harm
even if the answer lies elsewhere.
Get some good proprietary tom feed on them as well.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 31-05-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ writes:

You could google for Epsom Salt treatment. Shouldn't do any harm
even if the answer lies elsewhere.
Get some good proprietary tom feed on them as well.

Cheers, I'll give 'em a feed and hope for sunnier weather. As to a tomato
feed, I've got some courgettes and beans on the way at the moment, sill a
bit small but growing. When the time comes to get them into larger
containers, will a tomato feed also be appropriate for these?

Old 31-05-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 May 2007 16:18:44 GMT, C Coward wrote

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ writes:

You could google for Epsom Salt treatment. Shouldn't do any harm
even if the answer lies elsewhere.
Get some good proprietary tom feed on them as well.

Cheers, I'll give 'em a feed and hope for sunnier weather. As to a tomato
feed, I've got some courgettes and beans on the way at the moment, sill a
bit small but growing. When the time comes to get them into larger
containers, will a tomato feed also be appropriate for these?

I am no expert but I use tomato feed anywhere.

Cucumbers, lettuce, melons, you name it.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 31-05-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ writes

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ writes:

You could google for Epsom Salt treatment. Shouldn't do any harm
even if the answer lies elsewhere.
Get some good proprietary tom feed on them as well.

Cheers, I'll give 'em a feed and hope for sunnier weather. As to a tomato
feed, I've got some courgettes and beans on the way at the moment, sill a
bit small but growing. When the time comes to get them into larger
containers, will a tomato feed also be appropriate for these?

I am no expert but I use tomato feed anywhere.

Cucumbers, lettuce, melons, you name it.

Anything where you're after flowers or fruit.

Not quite sure about using it on lettuce ;-)

--
Kay
Old 01-06-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

C Coward writes:

A bit of a follow-up. I've noticed that when the leaves are damp (either
from rain or dew), the discolouration looks darker, almost black. When dry
it is light brown, with a slight sheen. Disturbingly some plants that have
been inside most of the time, but outside recently hardening them off,
also look like they have a similar light brown discolouration. Some of the
time these plants have been near the big, affected ones outside.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jun 2007 09:15:11 GMT, C Coward wrote:

C Coward writes:

A bit of a follow-up. I've noticed that when the leaves are damp (either
from rain or dew), the discolouration looks darker, almost black. When dry
it is light brown, with a slight sheen. Disturbingly some plants that have
been inside most of the time, but outside recently hardening them off,
also look like they have a similar light brown discolouration. Some of the
time these plants have been near the big, affected ones outside.

This must be ever so common this year. I've got about 30 outdoor
plants similarly affected. They seem to have acquired the problem
when in cold frames. I noticed small tomato plants for sale at my
local market today with the same signs. I'm going to try a fungicide
(Dithane 945). I don't think it's any kind of nutrient deficiency
causing it.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jupiter writes:

This must be ever so common this year. I've got about 30 outdoor
plants similarly affected. They seem to have acquired the problem
when in cold frames. I noticed small tomato plants for sale at my
local market today with the same signs. I'm going to try a fungicide
(Dithane 945). I don't think it's any kind of nutrient deficiency
causing it.

Interesting. Nice to know I'm not the only one (well, you know what I
mean!). Keep us posted as to whether the fungicide seems to do anything. I
wasn't going to spray anything on mine, but maybe it's worth a try. It'd
be a shame to loose the plants! I think I'll see how they look after
they've had a few days of warmer/dryer whether.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"C Coward" wrote in message
Jupiter writes:

This must be ever so common this year. I've got about 30 outdoor
plants similarly affected. They seem to have acquired the problem
when in cold frames. I noticed small tomato plants for sale at my
local market today with the same signs. I'm going to try a fungicide
(Dithane 945). I don't think it's any kind of nutrient deficiency
causing it.

Interesting. Nice to know I'm not the only one (well, you know what I
mean!). Keep us posted as to whether the fungicide seems to do anything. I
wasn't going to spray anything on mine, but maybe it's worth a try. It'd
be a shame to loose the plants! I think I'll see how they look after
they've had a few days of warmer/dryer whether.

Same here with my toms, was going to give them a feed and see what happens..
Keep you all posted

Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jun 2007 12:21:42 GMT, C Coward wrote:

Jupiter writes:

This must be ever so common this year. I've got about 30 outdoor
plants similarly affected. They seem to have acquired the problem
when in cold frames. I noticed small tomato plants for sale at my
local market today with the same signs. I'm going to try a fungicide
(Dithane 945). I don't think it's any kind of nutrient deficiency
causing it.

Interesting. Nice to know I'm not the only one (well, you know what I
mean!). Keep us posted as to whether the fungicide seems to do anything. I
wasn't going to spray anything on mine, but maybe it's worth a try. It'd
be a shame to loose the plants! I think I'll see how they look after
they've had a few days of warmer/dryer whether.

I sprayed them Friday and everything looks OK up to now. They haven't
wilted or anything and the tops look healthy and free from the brown
spotting/streaking. I'll adopt a 14 daiy spray programme now to use
up the Dithane pack which has 6 sachets.
Obviously I've broken the organic rules but I don't regard Copper
Sulphate and Bordeaux Mixture as particularly organic either. At
least this stuff doesn't make the plants look bright blue.