Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans for dinner 8 days a week!

Last year I planted the runner beans along a wire netting fence bordering
the veg plot and the lawn. I just let them die off over Winter and saw no
point pulling them up. While mowing the lawn I've just noticed that at least
half of last years runner beans have come up again and are growing well!
With those plus this years plants it looks like we will have runner beans
coming out of our ears this year. We had a glut last year. This year looks
like there will be a bean mountain!

Are there any other uses for runner beans? Perhaps I could save some dried
beans and make some bean bags? Any other suggestions?

Are the beans worth drying and saving for use in stews or chillies over
Winter or are runner bean beans the wrong variety for this - most of them
are the variety 'streamline'?

David.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Are the beans worth drying and saving for use in stews or chillies over
| Winter or are runner bean beans the wrong variety for this - most of them
| are the variety 'streamline'?

They aren't the usual ones used, but are fine. Soak them and throw
away the water, to defart them, and remember to cook them for at least
15 minutes at a boil. But otherwise they are just larger versions of
the dried beans we are used to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Jun, 21:25, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Are the beans worth drying and saving for use in stews or chillies over
| Winter or are runner bean beans the wrong variety for this - most of them
| are the variety 'streamline'?

They aren't the usual ones used, but are fine. Soak them and throw
away the water, to defart them, and remember to cook them for at least
15 minutes at a boil. But otherwise they are just larger versions of
the dried beans we are used to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Runner beans can regrow from the old Root/tuber but you will only get
poor growth and a few beans, but they will be earlier than those from
seed (Mostly)
In the good old days the roots would be lifted and stored over winter
then grown in post in the glasshouse to give the "Big House" early
beans. just as French Beans would be grown on the hotbed again to get
early beans.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Are the beans worth drying and saving for use in stews or chillies over
| Winter or are runner bean beans the wrong variety for this - most of
them
| are the variety 'streamline'?

They aren't the usual ones used, but are fine. Soak them and throw
away the water, to defart them, and remember to cook them for at least
15 minutes at a boil. But otherwise they are just larger versions of
the dried beans we are used to.

Would it be best to let the pods ripen fully i.e. until they split or to
harvest the beans while semi-mature and still soft? I'm just wondering if
they would be more palatable if picked a bit younger, though drying them at
this stage may be a problem?

David.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Would it be best to let the pods ripen fully i.e. until they split or to
| harvest the beans while semi-mature and still soft? I'm just wondering if
| they would be more palatable if picked a bit younger, though drying them at
| this stage may be a problem?

For maximum nutritional value, weight etc., let them ripen fully. But
French beans are harvested both mature and immature (flageolet).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Try making Runner Bean chutney. There are plenty of recipes on the web.
We usually have enough to last until the next crop.

Bob

Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob" wrote in message
Try making Runner Bean chutney. There are plenty of recipes on the web.
We usually have enough to last until the next crop.

How about posting one here?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Hello Alan

Here is the recipe we use.

2 lbs beans
4 or 5 large onions
1.5 lbs demerara sugar
1.5 pts vinegar
1.5 tablesp. dry mustard
1.5 tablesp. cornflour
1.5 tablesp. tumeric

Chop finely or mince beans & onions, cover with salted water & cook
until tender. Strain well.

Put into pan together with 1 1/4 pts vinegar & the sugar and boil for 15
minutes.

Mix mustard, cornflour & tumeric with remaining 1/4 pt vinegar. Add to
pan & boil again for 15 minutes or until a suitable consistancy to
bottle into hot jars.

Keep for 3 months for flavours to mellow, if you can!

Enjoy!

Bob

Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here is the recipe we use.

2 lbs beans
4 or 5 large onions
1.5 lbs demerara sugar
1.5 pts vinegar
1.5 tablesp. dry mustard
1.5 tablesp. cornflour
1.5 tablesp. tumeric

Chop finely or mince beans & onions, cover with salted water & cook until
tender. Strain well.

Put into pan together with 1 1/4 pts vinegar & the sugar and boil for 15
minutes.

Mix mustard, cornflour & tumeric with remaining 1/4 pt vinegar. Add to
pan & boil again for 15 minutes or until a suitable consistancy to bottle
into hot jars.

Keep for 3 months for flavours to mellow, if you can!

Enjoy!

Bob

Duly printed. I'll give you feedback in a few months time!

David.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Hope it turns out alright. If you like runner beans I am sure you
will like the chutney. Great with all Cheeses!

Bob