Old 17-06-2007, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cranberry Plant advice

Hi All,

My Mum and I brought a cranberry plant as we fancied trying to make fresh
cranberry sauce but upon looking online I cannot really find any information
on the plant. Does anyone know what books may have information on or if
there is such a website that may have advice and information, or do anyone
using this board know any hints or tips etc.

I have tried looking online but it says on the search it picks pages up but
when you go to them it doesnt really say anything at all...

Any help appreciated...

Donna

Old 17-06-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
k...
Hi All,

My Mum and I brought a cranberry plant as we fancied trying to make fresh
cranberry sauce but upon looking online I cannot really find any
information on the plant. Does anyone know what books may have information
on or if there is such a website that may have advice and information, or
do anyone using this board know any hints or tips etc.

I have tried looking online but it says on the search it picks pages up
but when you go to them it doesnt really say anything at all...

Any help appreciated...
Donna

This any good?
http://www.cranberrycreations.com/growing.html

Question
I grow a lot of different fruit bushes and trees but I want to know if I can
grow cranberries as they seem not to be readily grown in the U.K?

Answer
Yes you can. They are ericaceous plants that belong to the heather family,
needing acid soil or acid loving plant fertiliser such as miracle grow
ericaceous food. They require a wet site and are great if used as ground
cover. There is no need to buy male plants and female plants as they are
self fertile and the flowers are produced late spring and the cranberries
are produced in autumn if you follow the instructions. They are also
suitable for pot growing and three planted in a 12 inch pot (30cm) will be
fun to watch mature.

jenny

Old 17-06-2007, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote
My Mum and I brought a cranberry plant as we fancied trying to make fresh
cranberry sauce but upon looking online I cannot really find any
information on the plant. Does anyone know what books may have information
on or if there is such a website that may have advice and information, or
do anyone using this board know any hints or tips etc.

I have tried looking online but it says on the search it picks pages up
but when you go to them it doesnt really say anything at all...

Any help appreciated...

We planted ours last year, our allotment has acid soil and is normally damp
so they have now started to run and spread around the stems of our
blueberries. For a site with damp acid soil in sun they would make excellent
ground cover. Ours do have some fruit set too.
One problem we found last year was that if the soil starts to dry you need
to be able to water with rain water or at least soft water, so if you live
in a hard water area you may have a problem watering if the summer is dry.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-06-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

This any good?
http://www.cranberrycreations.com/growing.html

Question
I grow a lot of different fruit bushes and trees but I want to know if I can
grow cranberries as they seem not to be readily grown in the U.K?

Answer
Yes you can. They are ericaceous plants that belong to the heather family,
needing acid soil or acid loving plant fertiliser such as miracle grow
ericaceous food. They require a wet site and are great if used as ground
cover. There is no need to buy male plants and female plants as they are
self fertile and the flowers are produced late spring and the cranberries
are produced in autumn if you follow the instructions. They are also
suitable for pot growing and three planted in a 12 inch pot (30cm) will be
fun to watch mature.

Cranberry is native to the UK and grows in boggy mountainous areas. It
may be a different species that is grown commercially, though.
--
Kay

Old 19-06-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Donna
Your cranberry will be a Vaccinium macrocarpa. The one thing that
people have a misconseption about is that it is grown in water - it is
not. In the USA they are grown in "ponds" which are more peat bogs
that are flooded at harvest time, the berries being harvested with
cylinder lawnmower like devices fitter with combs to rake the berries
of the plant. The berries float and a boom employed to collect them.
It likes a peaty soil that is moist - not wet. If it is wet for a
prolonged period (such as a hanging basket with no drainage) it will
die. Equally if it dries out - particully in the first couple of
years death can occur.
SO soil high organic, preferablly peaty rather than woody or coir -
low pH (3.5 - 5.5), kept moist but not wet.
If the temperature gets hot - 20°C+ then be concious of humidity - for
high temp and low humidity can dry out the leaves especially in
sunshine (something I can account for)
Cranberries do not seem to have a high nutrient requirement. Be aware
that if the pH is out of range the plant my exhibit nutrient
deficiencies.
Two good books - Jennifer Trehane "Blueberries, Cranberries and other
Vacciniums"
Clive Simms - "Nutshell guide to Cranberries"
Regards
Clifford

Sowing cranberry seeds Jaques d'Alltrades United Kingdom 5 03-11-2005 06:20 PM
cranberry questions [email protected] United Kingdom 4 15-04-2004 10:35 AM
American Cranberry Bush Joe Gardening 4 18-09-2003 03:22 AM
Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom Tony Gardening 3 22-07-2003 02:03 PM
Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom Tracey Gardening 0 16-07-2003 06:14 PM