Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Too many seedlings

Mary Fisher writes

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Don't suppose anyone wants about 200 lupins?

No idea what colour they are, but they all germinated, all grew on, and
are now in peat pots with the roots growing through.

I think I'll put them in the woods and see what happens.

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow them
here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I like them, but they're slug-fodder.

I'm now trying to grow one in the slug-free environment of the
greenhouse. Ridiculous.

--
Kay
Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/7/07 19:30, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Okay, I won't! ;-) These will be hugely appreciated when she receives them
though. ;-)
I'll have to see if Ray's got any E.fastuosum going spare this year or next
- just to give you a bit of contrast!

Well actually I only grew the Blue Spires as some people had seen them
on a coach trip to Devon and I said I would have a go at growing them. I
actually forgot they were the tall ones so put a load into a seed tray
and was happily planning to plant them as fillers for spaces
I'll put some in the post to you. But PLEASE no tropical plants back,
though I appreciate the thought and offer

Also just bought a Deutzia setchuensis so cuttings have been
taken............

Janet

I have a Dianthus 'Green Lanes' looking at me reproachfully which I have to
pack up and send to Bob. If there's another going spare this year or next,
I think you'd like it. It never went into commercial production because the
stems aren't as long as some but it's a really gorgeous white flower with a
wonderful scent. You do know that if your Echiums flower and set seed you
will have literally hundreds of them, don't you? ;-)
I thought I'd lost mine after an unusual frost in Jersey but come the spring
there must have been about 300 of them around the garden. On Tresco they
grow like weeds - literally - and seem to hybridise into all manner of
shapes and colours - gorgeous things.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow them
here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I like them, but they're slug-fodder.

I'm now trying to grow one in the slug-free environment of the greenhouse.
Ridiculous.

How do you get your greenhouse slug-free?

Mary

--
Kay

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow them
here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I like them, but they're slug-fodder.

I'm now trying to grow one in the slug-free environment of the greenhouse.
Ridiculous.

How do you get your greenhouse slug-free?

I can get it pretty well slug free by keeping the door shut at night,
and checking under and around pots at intervals and escorting out any
slugs and snails I find.

It would be more effective to search at night when they're feeding but
I'm rarely that well organised.

It's not totally successful, so this year I've taken to putting a few
slug pellets under the pots with particularly vulnerable things in.
It's a big greenhouse, with an inner and outer section. Slugs rarely
make it through into the inner section, but as that's obviously also the
hotter section, most of the vulnerable plants are in the outer section
within 2-3 feet of the door.
--
Kay

Old 04-07-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes

If it's in a pot, it is ridiculously easy to keep slugs/snails off.

Vaseline round the pot

Too many pots for that to be feasible

Soot from the fire
Slug pellets

Don't like using them outdoors. Prefer to be safe rather than sorry with
respect to birds and amphibians

Nematode worms
Hedgehogs

Only the occasional sighting around here :-(

--
Kay
Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Vaseline round the pot

Too many pots for that to be feasible

Soot from the fire
Slug pellets

Don't like using them outdoors. Prefer to be safe rather than sorry
with respect to birds and amphibians

Nematode worms
Hedgehogs

Only the occasional sighting around here :-(

Well that leaves the shotgun then Kay
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I have a Dianthus 'Green Lanes' looking at me reproachfully which I have to
pack up and send to Bob.

Sounds lovely, Old Mother Hubbard has had to be nursed back to
civilisation as it didn't seem to like the damp winter, but the
fragrance is so good it's worth it!

You do know that if your Echiums flower and set seed you
will have literally hundreds of them, don't you? ;-)

Oh, right ................. maybe I'll just let you try then!
Saw a lovely Philadelphus (I think) the other night at Field End
Nurseries. Called madrensis and smelled vaguely of bubble gum but much
better, much smaller than normal Philadelphus and so pretty whilst in
flower. Trouble was it had just been given to him so he was hanging on
to it and any cutting material for the moment!

Janet

Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/07 13:35, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I have a Dianthus 'Green Lanes' looking at me reproachfully which I have to
pack up and send to Bob.

Sounds lovely, Old Mother Hubbard has had to be nursed back to
civilisation as it didn't seem to like the damp winter, but the
fragrance is so good it's worth it!

Glad you're looking after Ray's babies. ;-) He's proud of that one because
it got an AGM! It's funny how they've almost gone out of fashion now - at
one time he used to send hundreds of cut pinks up to Birmingham by train but
we sell very few of the plants even, now.

You do know that if your Echiums flower and set seed you
will have literally hundreds of them, don't you? ;-)

Oh, right ................. maybe I'll just let you try then!

Very happy to try!

Saw a lovely Philadelphus (I think) the other night at Field End
Nurseries. Called madrensis and smelled vaguely of bubble gum but much
better, much smaller than normal Philadelphus and so pretty whilst in
flower. Trouble was it had just been given to him so he was hanging on
to it and any cutting material for the moment!

Is this it? V. lovely, if so.
http://tinyurl.com/297oma

Old 04-07-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

How do you get your greenhouse slug-free?

I can get it pretty well slug free by keeping the door shut at night, and
checking under and around pots at intervals and escorting out any slugs
and snails I find.

It would be more effective to search at night when they're feeding but I'm
rarely that well organised.

It's not totally successful, so this year I've taken to putting a few slug
pellets under the pots with particularly vulnerable things in. It's a big
greenhouse, with an inner and outer section. Slugs rarely make it through
into the inner section, but as that's obviously also the hotter section,
most of the vulnerable plants are in the outer section within 2-3 feet of
the door.
--
Kay

I see, thanks. I take it that you don't have border soil in your houses!

Mary

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message

How do you get your greenhouse slug-free?

I can get it pretty well slug free by keeping the door shut at night, and
checking under and around pots at intervals and escorting out any slugs
and snails I find.

It would be more effective to search at night when they're feeding but I'm
rarely that well organised.

It's not totally successful, so this year I've taken to putting a few slug
pellets under the pots with particularly vulnerable things in. It's a big
greenhouse, with an inner and outer section. Slugs rarely make it through
into the inner section, but as that's obviously also the hotter section,
most of the vulnerable plants are in the outer section within 2-3 feet of
the door.

I see, thanks. I take it that you don't have border soil in your houses!

No, most of what's in there is cacti.
--
Kay
Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

That's what I thought.

But when you take in lupins they materialise :-)

Mary
--
Kay