Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Xmas potatoes

HI

I am looking for advice on this?
I have heard you can plant late and lift a crop of small spuds for
Xmas day, sounds nice and I would like to try.

What would be involved please?

Thanks

Mike

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have never done this before, where i used to live i didnt have the room!
I have recently moved, haave a respectable sized vegetable garden, and it is
somehing i was thinking about, but not this year.

My Grandfather grew a small second crop regularly in the 1960's, i think you
have to choose a suitable first early potato, and from memory they go in
after the first crop come out.

From memory again, there is something in T&M's catalogue about this.

I normally follow the first earlies with leeks, but when i get my new larger
garden sorted ideas might change.

Cheers
John

PS, like the petition, but a bell wouldnt stop them excavating, unless tha
approved design was a couple of pounds in weight or more?

oups.com...

Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote ...
I am looking for advice on this?

I have heard you can plant late and lift a crop of small spuds for
Xmas day, sounds nice and I would like to try.

What would be involved please?

Try looking in most of the well known seed merchants catalogues where you
will find the specially treated varieties available for purchase.
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/
http://www.suttons.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/index.html
http://www.dobies.co.uk/default.aspx

That petition you mention is a joke, it's simply wrong in so many ways. No,
most houses do not have a cat at all, of my 16 neighbours only two have one
cats each and one of those doesn't got outside and has never killed anything
larger than a spider (mine). Yes, we would have wild cats here naturally,
the European Linx and other predators should be more common and bird would
be less common if they were not fed by us. The last two paragraphs are
contradictory. Altogether a pathetic effort by someone that hasn't thought
their argument through.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mikesndbs" wrote ...
[...]

I thought this was about spuds - not petitions !
Pete (mystified)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message
I thought this was about spuds - not petitions !
Pete (mystified)
www.thecanalshop.com

There is a link in the sig of the OP to an anti cat petition.
HTH

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi and thanks for the answers to my question!

The petition seems to have generated more interested however and that
was not the intention.
It was there so that if you agreed you could sign up to it.

Its my democratic right to use this method to inform the government
about something I feel strongly about.
What I don't expect is the 'slagging' one person gave here.
If you don't agree don't sign up!

Its not about being 'anti cat' either!

The situation here is that on this estate most of the houses have at
least two cats, all of them are allowed to roam freely nearly 24hrs a
day.
The result is that the bird and mammal population has noticeably
declined and the gardens of those who don't have cats are used by many
for a toilet.
Research will show that this is common in many areas.
If its not the case in your area then 'goody for you' aren't you
lucky.

Apology's to the other list members but I did not expect such a
slagging off for simply asking about Xmas potatoes.

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Don't worry Mike, sigs always get a good response, read mine and you will
see how popular mine is :-)) OK I advertise in other places as well, but the
hotel for the reunion has been full for a long time.

Sacha advertises her business in her signature.

These things are not done if there is no response.

:-))

You also have the problem with the readership of this newsgroup who are
divided over the Vermin Cat Issue. Those like me who feel they should be
killed at birth and the problem eradicated, and those who allow them to roam
into other people's gardens, turn a blind eye, and because their garden is
nice and cat shit free, can see no problem. These people are usually multi
cat owners.

Have a nice day

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Mike

I looked at the other domestic cat petitions and found many were
extreme just like you said!

I tried to make mine considered and clam based on what I was finding
and after having trawled the net.
Its just too much here, you can't make a seed bed without it being
spoiled the very next day and I am just fed up with it.

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/7/07 07:47, in article
, "Mikesndbs"
wrote:

Hi and thanks for the answers to my question!

The petition seems to have generated more interested however and that
was not the intention.
It was there so that if you agreed you could sign up to it.

snip

Apology's to the other list members but I did not expect such a
slagging off for simply asking about Xmas potatoes.

Mike

The problem is that cats are a particularly emotive subject because so many
are for and against them. One notorious troll here raises the matter of
cats in the garden every time he fails to get attention in other ways and
sometimes he and others advocate real cruelty. So, you see, the entire
subject of cats is fraught with pitfalls on here. I don't think you got a
slagging off but perhaps some objected to a petition of that nature on a
gardening group.
Advertising itself is not encouraged, though personally, I think a short
post telling us about a new product or web site can be helpful.
Persistent trolling by publishing sig.files that are irrelevant to a
gardening group is annoying, ill-mannered and tends to result in the
perpetrator going into kill files and/or being totally ignored by most of
the group. That's the simple explanation, though I know you're not trolling
or advertising. In a sense, you can blame those who have gone before you
with the intention of annoying the group.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In a sense, you can blame those who have gone before you
with the intention of annoying the group.

OK thanks,

My question about Xmas spuds was quite genuine and the html link was
placed at the end of my post and not advertised or pushed in any way.
As I am a gardener and my petition is largely about the abuse of my
garden by irresponsible cat owners I thought it relevant.

Whats annoyed me is that there has been more words about this than my
question!

My fault too for defending myself I guess so thats my final word.

What I would like to know is if anyone has tried the Xmas spuds idea,
what did they have to do by way of protecting the plants, when to
plant etc.
That would be great to know.

Cheers

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
HI

I am looking for advice on this?
I have heard you can plant late and lift a crop of small spuds for
Xmas day, sounds nice and I would like to try.

What would be involved please?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I've never tried this myself, but a search on Google with:
new potatoes christmas OR xmas
should bring up some info :~)
Jenny

Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Mike,
I've never tried this myself, but a search on Google with:
new potatoes christmas OR xmas
should bring up some info :~)
Jenny

Thanks Jenny

You were right!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/ma...s_dinne r.php

snip
There is a lot of media attention on 'growing your own new potatoes
for Christmas'. This is difficult in the truest sense of the word.
Certainly the specially cold stored, short dormancy tubers
(Carlingford, Maris Peer, Nicola) once delivered from Late July soon
spring to life once planted up in warm soils or in containers. No need
to chit them, just plant them and watch them develop. Planting should
be completed by mid August outdoors, or end of August in a tunnel or
greenhouse. Later plantings are more likely to fail. Blight is the
serious scourge outdoors, and soil pests can be come more prevalent as
Autumn progresses. Tubers form quickly and golf ball sized tubers can
be ready in 11 weeks, which is nowhere near Christmas. Usual procedure
is to cut back the haulms and leave the tubers in the ground until
required, then you can dig a few fresh 'new potatoes' for Christmas to
go with your roasted ones. end

I am keen to try this and might get a small polytunnel as well!
Only trouble is the places I have looked are out of stock of the
required seeds.
Do you think I could just go to my local Tesco and by some candidates?

Cheers

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote ...

Hi Mike,
I've never tried this myself, but a search on Google with:
new potatoes christmas OR xmas
should bring up some info :~)
Jenny

Thanks Jenny

You were right!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/ma...s_dinne r.php

Of the four links I posted it appears only Suttons and Dobies have any seed
potatos of the sort you require.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 16:09, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Of the four links I posted it appears only Suttons and Dobies have any seed
potatos of the sort you require.

And Fothergills - http://fothergills.co.uk/en/content/...-potatoes.aspx

Blight on Xmas potatoes Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 0 02-10-2010 11:56 AM
growing potatoes for Xmas Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 7 21-12-2005 06:39 PM
Xmas Trees David Berry United Kingdom 1 26-12-2002 04:14 PM
xmas gifts david United Kingdom 9 17-12-2002 11:22 PM
Watering Xmas tree Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 6 17-12-2002 09:50 PM