Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rambling Rector

Yesterday I met a Rambling Rector rose and was bowled over by the fantastic
perfume. I have searched local garden centre`s but it would seem that I will
have to buy mail order. Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier or are they
all pretty good. I am told that the rose is very vigorous and I will have to
think carefully as to where I plant it, is this so or can it be controlled
by pruning. Thanks for reading.

kate

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Yesterday I met a Rambling Rector rose and was bowled over by the
fantastic perfume. I have searched local garden centre`s but it would seem
that I will have to buy mail order. Can anyone recommend a reliable
supplier or are they all pretty good. I am told that the rose is very
vigorous and I will have to think carefully as to where I plant it, is
this so or can it be controlled by pruning. Thanks for reading.

Why not ask the owner when he/she might be pruning it. You could then have
a few cutting you should be able to get to strike.

Alternatively, the rambler "albertine" covers well and its flowers have a
wonderful perfume.

Regards

Geoff

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/7/07 09:24, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Yesterday I met a Rambling Rector rose and was bowled over by the fantastic
perfume. I have searched local garden centre`s but it would seem that I will
have to buy mail order. Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier or are they
all pretty good. I am told that the rose is very vigorous and I will have to
think carefully as to where I plant it, is this so or can it be controlled
by pruning. Thanks for reading.

Beale's or David Austin should have it and yes, it's is very vigorous
indeed. I don't think there's any point in planting it unless you can let
it have its head, myself One of its attractions is to have those wonderful
flower heads waving at you from helicopter height!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I nearly bought Rambling Rector for my front garden, until Sacha reminded
me that it is a very vigorous rose and suggested climbing Iceberg instead.
I'm glad you did Sacha as Beale's sent me a very healthy, bare rooted
specimen which is now zooming up my trellis and already flowering well.
Later I also bought Ballerina which took a little longer to get growing, but
that too is now romping away and already smothered with flower buds.

MikeCT

"Sacha" wrote in a message.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/7/07 19:00, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

I nearly bought Rambling Rector for my front garden, until Sacha reminded
me that it is a very vigorous rose and suggested climbing Iceberg instead.
I'm glad you did Sacha as Beale's sent me a very healthy, bare rooted
specimen which is now zooming up my trellis and already flowering well.
Later I also bought Ballerina which took a little longer to get growing, but
that too is now romping away and already smothered with flower buds.

MikeCT

"Sacha" wrote in a message.
Beale's or David Austin should have it and yes, it's is very vigorous
indeed. I don't think there's any point in planting it unless you can let
it have its head, myself One of its attractions is to have those
wonderful flower heads waving at you from helicopter height!

I'm glad it worked out well, Mike. Climbing Iceberg is remarkable, IMO -
totally different to the R Rector but definitely capable of holding its own
place in anyone's garden. We have C. Iceberg growing along, rather than up,
a low wall and in this second year and with some neglect, it's doing very
well, considering! The Rector does need a lot of space to flex its muscles
and show itself at its best. If one can give it those conditions, it's a
star.
I'd like to add that we've done this with Hydrangea seemannii and it's
tumbling over the same low wall and flowering madly. It looks fabulous.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Yesterday I met a Rambling Rector rose and was bowled over by the

fantastic
perfume. I have searched local garden centre`s but it would seem that I

will
have to buy mail order. Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier or are

they
all pretty good. I am told that the rose is very vigorous and I will have

think carefully as to where I plant it, is this so or can it be controlled
by pruning. Thanks for reading.

kate

You can take it almost to the ground each year after flowering, it will then
make loads of new stems which it flower on the next year, or you can leave
it unpruned and anything in between, be warned though I have this and its
big, stems more than two years old and the loppers wont cope and its a saw!
Its not as tall as Kiftsgate but just as vigorous.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-07-2007, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sorry I have been so long saying thank you all for your interest. I have
been playing with my 10 week old grandaughter for a few days, a very
important job I am sure that some of you will agree :-)
I have however taken on board all the information about Rambling Rector and
am in the process of finding a suitable home for one. I did think about up
and over the summerhouse but maybe a dead tree would be better.

kate
--------------------------------

Old 13-07-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/7/07 14:00, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

sorry I have been so long saying thank you all for your interest. I have
been playing with my 10 week old grandaughter for a few days, a very
important job I am sure that some of you will agree :-)
I have however taken on board all the information about Rambling Rector and
am in the process of finding a suitable home for one. I did think about up
and over the summerhouse but maybe a dead tree would be better.

snip

Second in importance only to playing with my two. ;-)) Hope you had a
wonderful time with her - they are just such heaven, aren't they?
As to the rose, it depends how sturdy your dead tree is - at least a bit.
It is possible for that rose to become so tangled and vigorous that it might
pull over a very weak system.

rambling`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 03-11-2003 04:43 PM
when will this madness abate??? and rambling musings of garden mania madgardener Gardening 4 14-08-2003 02:32 PM
when will this madness abate??? and rambling musings of garden jrstark Gardening 0 13-08-2003 11:33 PM
Rambling rose Tom Warner United Kingdom 7 27-05-2003 06:08 PM
Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? Pip United Kingdom 5 12-04-2003 10:08 PM