Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cutting brambles

There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through which I
need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar thing in
garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please? And would
someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I wouldn't want to buy
a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring job). Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message
There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through which

need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar thing

in
garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please? And would
someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I wouldn't want to

buy
a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring job). Thanks.

A long handled billhook, you can also get sickles with long handles that
would do the job. Alternatively hire/borrow a strimmer for the day.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message
There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through which
I need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar thing
in garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please? And
would someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I wouldn't
want to buy a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring job).
Thanks.

did a path through head high brambles with a pair of shears - about 10m
long - took a couple of mornings to completely clear, rake and bag up bits

Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NikV" wrote in message

"johngood_____" wrote in message
[...]

I recommend heavy gloves, wellingtons, loppers and most of all my
favourite tool, a good spade. The latter will enable you to easily
manoeuvre and cut through the brambles at the required point as you pin
them down with your feet. Also it is a great tool with which to push
them aside, gather them up and bruise them into manageable clumps for
removal. At the same time, with the spade, you will be able to sever
roots on the walkway, as you go.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message
There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through which

need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar thing

in
garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please? And would
someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I wouldn't want to

buy
a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring job). Thanks.

You could hire a brush cutter from somewhere like HSS....

http://www.hss.com/g/62116/Brush-Cutter-4-Stroke.html

For a larger areas they have a power scythe.

http://www.hss.com/g/62146/Power-Scythe.html

I used one to clear a one acre paddock of tall grass and weed. Quite heavy
to get in and out of a car but HSS will deliver for a fee. They pull
themselves along like a mower.

If you end up with a pile of brambles it can be a pain to move them to the
bonfire. Try running a rope around the outside of the pile, form noose and
tighten around the whole pile. Then you can drag the lot away to the
bonfire. Burn the rope as well.