Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron in bloom again!

One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this year! It
only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

John

Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 22:04, in article , "John
Vanini" wrote:

One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this year! It
only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

John

It's a weird year for such things!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this year! It
only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

I know you meant 'somebody', but anyway - how exciting! I visited a local
farm yesterday and their apple trees were full of apples...but one tree was
also full of apple blossoms. The tulip tree around the corner from our
house has seed pods on it, but is also flowering for the second time this
year. It's exciting but scary, I think.

someone

Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You're right, I wanted to tell somebody but he didn't answer. I knew,
however, that someone would answer and you did!

I only hope that with all these plants doing things twice, I don't get two
birthdays this year - at my age I can't afford another one!

Regards to someone (mentioning no names),

John

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this
year! It only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

Glad you did. I thought there was something wrong with mine!

First time I've seen it happen.

And I'm going to be majoring on tomatoes for the next two months by the
looks of it.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this
year! It only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

Glad you did. I thought there was something wrong with mine!

First time I've seen it happen.

And I'm going to be majoring on tomatoes for the next two months by the
looks of it.

I'm afraid that the vast majority of my tomato plants caught blight so that
I had very few tomatoes to eat.

Today, I bought a packet of Legend tomato seeds and a packet of Ferline both
Thompson & Margan and both supposed to be blight tolerant. I suspect that
next year no one will get blight and I needn't have bothered!

John

Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

One of my rhododendrons has just bloomed for the second time this
year! It only has two small blooms, admittedly, but it is blooming.

To top it all, one of my primroses has flowered this week.

Just wanted to tell someone!

Glad you did. I thought there was something wrong with mine!

First time I've seen it happen.

And I'm going to be majoring on tomatoes for the next two months by
the looks of it.

I'm afraid that the vast majority of my tomato plants caught blight
so that I had very few tomatoes to eat.

I had a few which looked a bit blighty so I lobbed them off. The rest seem
unaffected. They are very good this year, they're trailing tomatoes so I
just bunged them in bags and pots and let them get on with it. I am going to
look like a tomato by the end of the crop.

Very good grilled or oven-baked especially. And they actually *smell* of
tomato, for the first time in years.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 15:26, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I had a few which looked a bit blighty so I lobbed them off. The rest seem
unaffected. They are very good this year, they're trailing tomatoes so I
just bunged them in bags and pots and let them get on with it. I am going to
look like a tomato by the end of the crop.

Very good grilled or oven-baked especially. And they actually *smell* of
tomato, for the first time in years.

Stop it!! You make me so hungry. Our toms have looked so bad - the
patience left that I had sadly didn't save them from their fate - all
went onto the compost. I needed the place for a huge grass I had
divided. I'm now eating my neighbours tomatoes ... which like yours
have started to ripen and I made a ratatouille on Saturday (with
barbecued sardines in the back garden). My god ... nothing could have
prepared me for such a treat ;o)

I will keep all my toms on my veranda next year. There's very little
point trying outside again, whatever anybody say. I'm in Manchester,
and that's that.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I had a few which looked a bit blighty so I lobbed them off. The rest seem
unaffected. They are very good this year, they're trailing tomatoes so I
just bunged them in bags and pots and let them get on with it. I am going
to look like a tomato by the end of the crop.

We lost the lot to blight. Not a single tomato this year, trailing or
upright!

David.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/07 16:01, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

I had a few which looked a bit blighty so I lobbed them off. The rest seem
unaffected. They are very good this year, they're trailing tomatoes so I
just bunged them in bags and pots and let them get on with it. I am going
to look like a tomato by the end of the crop.

We lost the lot to blight. Not a single tomato this year, trailing or
upright!

We grew only Jersey Sunrise this year. The outdoor ones got a bit of blight
and didn't do terribly well but the indoor ones have cropped pretty well and
are still producing. I'd like to know which people think are the best
beefsteak types.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 16:05, Sacha wrote:
We grew only Jersey Sunrise this year. The outdoor ones got a bit of blight
and didn't do terribly well but the indoor ones have cropped pretty well and
are still producing. I'd like to know which people think are the best
beefsteak types.

Do you mean beefheart?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/07 16:29, in article
, "
wrote:

On 10 Sep, 16:05, Sacha wrote:
We grew only Jersey Sunrise this year. The outdoor ones got a bit of blight
and didn't do terribly well but the indoor ones have cropped pretty well and
are still producing. I'd like to know which people think are the best
beefsteak types.

Do you mean beefheart?

No, beefsteak tomatoes. The really enormous ones.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 16:41, Sacha wrote:
No, beefsteak tomatoes. The really enormous ones.

Sorry, just had a brain gap. I never tried them nor ate actually.
Unless they were inside an American burger without me knowing.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/07 16:48, in article
, "
wrote:

On 10 Sep, 16:41, Sacha wrote:
No, beefsteak tomatoes. The really enormous ones.

Sorry, just had a brain gap. I never tried them nor ate actually.
Unless they were inside an American burger without me knowing.

I think Beefheart is a particular variety of heritage tomato and is heart
shaped.