Old 18-09-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Help filter the crap

* Charlie Pridham wrote, On 18/09/2007 09:02:

Don't know but its amazing how much time and energy they waste trying to
annoy people. If you come up with a solution let us know. I am reluctant to
spend money on software for something as trivial as a newsreader - but it
looks as if I may have to!

40Tude Dialog is free, from http://www.40tude.com/dialog/, and I'm
pretty sure that it allows you to filter out any posts crossposted to
more than a certain number of newsgroups. Another good, free,
newsreader is Gravity, which you can get from
http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/. It's some time since I've used
it, so I can't remember whether it has that specific function but it
certainly does most things pretty well.

--
Cheers, Serena
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
Old 18-09-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Because they are children (or childlike) and they think, like a lot of
childish people, that swearing and trying to shock and annoy others makes
them look grown up. Whereas we grownups just see them for what they are,
silly children.
--
Regards
Bob

They will probably grow out of it by the time they reach their teens,
unfortunately they are likely be replaced by an endless succession of
similar kids posting inane ramblings.

David.

Old 18-09-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:56:59 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Because they are children (or childlike) and they think, like a lot of
childish people, that swearing and trying to shock and annoy others
makes
them look grown up. Whereas we grownups just see them for what they are,
silly children.
--
Regards
Bob

They will probably grow out of it by the time they reach their teens,
unfortunately they are likely be replaced by an endless succession of
similar kids posting inane ramblings.

One of the nastiest trolls on UK Usenet was 72, when he died.
--

Martin

Alzheimer's? I would normally associate the sort of banter that goes on
between these trolls with kids. Each trying to sound "cool" to their peers.
Most grow out of it, or their level of communication becomes more
sophisticated.

David.

Old 18-09-2007, 11:52 AM posted to rec.nude,demon.local,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.bollocks,alt.astronomy

Captain Hook wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:31:34 +0100, Who knows? wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:27:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
newsNidnZE88JBDVHPbnZ2dnUVZ8vSdnZ2d@brightview .com...
I am finding all the rubbish none gardening posts on this group a real
drag. As most of them are also posted to other groups can anyone advise on
whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts that are addressed to
other newsgroups. I subscribe to an email list on another hobby of mine

It will ... :-(

It won't :-(

Mary

Scary or hairy?

Mary is both

http://tinyurl.com/3x3ljg

Man, that's fugly!

Old 18-09-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

Don't know but its amazing how much time and energy they waste trying to
annoy people. If you come up with a solution let us know. I am reluctant to
spend money on software for something as trivial as a newsreader - but it
looks as if I may have to!

Isn't there Free Agent? (Free cut-down version) Does that also have the
facility to block crossposts?
--
Kay

Old 18-09-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* Charlie Pridham wrote, On 18/09/2007 09:02:

Don't know but its amazing how much time and energy they waste trying to
annoy people. If you come up with a solution let us know. I am reluctant

spend money on software for something as trivial as a newsreader - but

it
looks as if I may have to!

40Tude Dialog is free, from http://www.40tude.com/dialog/, and I'm
pretty sure that it allows you to filter out any posts crossposted to
more than a certain number of newsgroups. Another good, free,
newsreader is Gravity, which you can get from
http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/. It's some time since I've used
it, so I can't remember whether it has that specific function but it
certainly does most things pretty well.

--
Cheers, Serena

Thanks for that I have made a note of the links and may investigate after my
holiday if things have not quietened down!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-09-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Malcolm
writes

Click on the Help menu. In the Index, click on 'Killing Articles and
Threads', scroll to the bottom where you will find 'Custom Kill rules:
Examples for Articles'. Click on this and among the examples you will
find:

To kill crossposted articles /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

Insert this rule in the newsgroup folder's Properties. To find out how
to do this look up 'Newsgroup Properties - Kill Rules' in the Help

If you are happy to have articles that are cross-posted to two
newsgroups but not, say, three, then just add another ".*," per
newsgroup, thus: /^Newsgroups:.*,.*,/h

That's really helpful Malcolm, I would have searched for a month for
this. We are really grateful! Thanks you.
By the by have you had trouble when updating to the most recent IE and
Turnpike? We've had tons of trouble. For instance though we have the new
look IE - if we click on a link in Turnpike to access the web it brings
up the old windows layout and very very slowly! It also brings up a
message about null addresses if we then use the pulled up web page to go
to another. We end up with about 20 screens trying to get out of it!
Just a warning to others who use Turnpike and go to the latest IE and
Windows updates.

Thanks again....

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-09-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Because they are children (or childlike) and they think, like a
lot of childish people, that swearing and trying to shock and
annoy others makes
them look grown up. Whereas we grownups just see them for what
they are, silly children.
--
Regards
Bob

They will probably grow out of it by the time they reach their
teens, unfortunately they are likely be replaced by an endless
succession of similar kids posting inane ramblings.

I think they're teens. I suspect the sudden increase in trolling has
something to do with universities being back.

One of the nastiest trolls on UK Usenet was 72, when he died.
--

Martin

Alzheimer's? I would normally associate the sort of banter that goes
on between these trolls with kids. Each trying to sound "cool" to
their peers. Most grow out of it, or their level of communication
becomes more sophisticated.

No, not Alzheimer's. If it's the chap I'm thinking of, he was purely a nasty
piece of work.

HOLY CRAP drink_ddt alt.forestry 0 12-05-2003 04:45 AM
Chicken crap John S. DeBoo Gardening 1 30-04-2003 09:32 PM
Bah. Crap. Damn the Cat. Empty Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-04-2003 09:34 PM
"CRAP" - Plants at Wal-Mart [email protected] Gardening 0 21-04-2003 01:32 PM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM