Old 17-09-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Help filter the crap

I am finding all the rubbish none gardening posts on this group a real
drag. As most of them are also posted to other groups can anyone advise on
whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts that are addressed to
other newsgroups. I subscribe to an email list on another hobby of mine and
we get none of this. Is there a garden related email list?

Mike

Old 17-09-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
I am finding all the rubbish none gardening posts on this group a real
drag. As most of them are also posted to other groups can anyone advise on
whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts that are addressed to
other newsgroups. I subscribe to an email list on another hobby of mine and
we get none of this. Is there a garden related email list?

Mike

But Mike, this 'IS' an email list/facility for the owners of this site. They
use it as if it were their own. Private chats which """SHOULD""" be on email
......... ""Do you have one of these plants?"", 'Yes I do', ""Oh good, I will
pop in and get one"" Such stuff could and SHOULD go to email and I have
remarked on it before.

Only one thing to do. LIVE WITH IT.

I was on a uk.local. newsgroup a few years back and it was net nannied to
the 'n'th degree. The Mickey was taken out of said net nanny to such a
degree that the newsgroup became useless :-((

You see the same happening here. :-((

Aggression
Net Nannying
Private emails
Kissy Kissy chat.

:-((

and the odd gardening item

There is one HUGE advantage and by product of this newsgroup :-))

Lurkers who NEVER post but email :-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 17-09-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

can anyone advise on whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts
that are addressed to other newsgroups.

Mike

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

David.

Old 17-09-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

I can confirm that Agent can certainly filter out cross-posted
rubbish, and it has kill filters that can be as fancy as your
imagination allows.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 17-09-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
I am finding all the rubbish none gardening posts on this group a real
drag. As most of them are also posted to other groups can anyone advise
on
It will ... :-(

It won't :-(

Mary

Scary or hairy?

Now this is a very good example of my frustration, all the replies to my
post were of value except for those from one poster who posted the above to
rec.nude,demon.local,alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.pond s,alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots,rec.models.rockets,alt.suicide.holiday
as well as uk.rec.gardening, why oh why don't they get a life of their own.

Mike

Old 17-09-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes
can anyone advise on whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts
that are addressed to other newsgroups.

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

Turnpike can also delete all cross posts (or, eg, articles cross posted
to more then 2, 3, etc groups - useful if you want to block spam but not
articles that have been crossposted to eg ponds). It's got menu items to
kill authors, subjects, threads, and then a good facility to create your
own rules for deleting almost any combination you care to think of.
--
Kay
Old 17-09-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:23:58 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

can anyone advise on whether Outlook Express can be set to dump all posts
that are addressed to other newsgroups.

Mike

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good

Go for it. I recommend it

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 17-09-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Chris

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:52:35 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

David (Normandy) wrote:

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

I can confirm that Agent can certainly filter out cross-posted
rubbish, and it has kill filters that can be as fancy as your
imagination allows.

Interesting - I'm running Agent (V3.2) , but can't see how to block
x-posted stuff..... can you elaborate please ?

Thanks
Adrian
Old 17-09-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote

Now this is a very good example of my frustration, all the replies to my
post were of value except for those from one poster who posted the above
rec.nude,demon.local,alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.pond s,alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots,rec.models.rockets,alt.suicide.holiday
as well as uk.rec.gardening, why oh why don't they get a life of their
own.

Because they are children (or childlike) and they think, like a lot of
childish people, that swearing and trying to shock and annoy others makes
them look grown up. Whereas we grownups just see them for what they are,
silly children.
Pity them for their silliness and that one day when they have grown up they
will regret their present actions and feel rightly stupid. They will have to
live with the knowledge of what they are doing now all their lives.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 18-09-2007, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Turnpike can also delete all cross posts

How Kay?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-09-2007, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:

Now this is a very good example of my frustration, all the replies to my
post were of value except for those from one poster who posted the above to
rec.nude,demon.local,alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.pon ds,alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots,rec.models.rockets,alt.suicide.holiday
as well as uk.rec.gardening, why oh why don't they get a life of their own.

I didn't see it, my Agent cross-post filter killed it. ;-)

Chris

Old 18-09-2007, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Martin

wrote:

David (Normandy) wrote:

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

I can confirm that Agent can certainly filter out cross-posted
rubbish, and it has kill filters that can be as fancy as your
imagination allows.

Interesting - I'm running Agent (V3.2) , but can't see how to block
x-posted stuff..... can you elaborate please ?

In Agent 4,2

"When does Agent check for crossposted messages?

By default, Agent checks for crossposted messages only when you retrieve new
headers (for example, when you retrieve new headers in selected folders). Thus,
if you retrieve *all* headers in a particular folder, Agent does not remove any
crossposted messages. This is to allow you to retrieve all headers if you want
to. There is an option on the Folder Properties dialog to enable crosspost
checking for all header operations"

Folder Properties
Receieving messages
Usenet Crossposting

Ah - thanks for that.
Unless I'm missing the pojnt - that facility saves you from
downloading the same message in several newsgroups - which is fine.

I suspect the 'magic bullet' I was looking for was something that said
' Hey - this message has been crossposted to more than three
newsgroups - which you may not be actually monitoring - but it looks
like a garbage post ' - though, on reflection, that's probably asking
rather a lot of the software g

Thanks
Adrian
Old 18-09-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , K
writes

Turnpike can also delete all cross posts

How Kay?

Click on the Help menu. In the Index, click on 'Killing Articles and
Threads', scroll to the bottom where you will find 'Custom Kill rules:
Examples for Articles'. Click on this and among the examples you will
find:

To kill crossposted articles /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

Insert this rule in the newsgroup folder's Properties. To find out how
to do this look up 'Newsgroup Properties - Kill Rules' in the Help

If you are happy to have articles that are cross-posted to two
newsgroups but not, say, three, then just add another ".*," per
newsgroup, thus: /^Newsgroups:.*,.*,/h

--
Malcolm
Old 18-09-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
I am finding all the rubbish none gardening posts on this group a

real
drag. As most of them are also posted to other groups can anyone

advise
on
It will ... :-(

It won't :-(

Mary

Scary or hairy?

Now this is a very good example of my frustration, all the replies to my
post were of value except for those from one poster who posted the above

rec.nude,demon.local,alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.pond s,alt.sports.football.pro.
ne-patriots,rec.models.rockets,alt.suicide.holiday
as well as uk.rec.gardening, why oh why don't they get a life of their

own.

Mike

Don't know but its amazing how much time and energy they waste trying to
annoy people. If you come up with a solution let us know. I am reluctant to
spend money on software for something as trivial as a newsreader - but it
looks as if I may have to!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

HOLY CRAP drink_ddt alt.forestry 0 12-05-2003 04:45 AM
Chicken crap John S. DeBoo Gardening 1 30-04-2003 09:32 PM
Bah. Crap. Damn the Cat. Empty Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-04-2003 09:34 PM
"CRAP" - Plants at Wal-Mart [email protected] Gardening 0 21-04-2003 01:32 PM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM