Old 21-09-2007, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A tree has fallen on my garden!

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"aboleth" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 20 Sep, 12:15, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

That just wshows how unenlightened are insurance companies. They work on
legend rather than research.

I've just heard about a house built of wool which has had to be
demolished
because it's a fire hazard! Wool won't burn, firemen's suits are - or

were -
made from wool. At the weekend I was wearing felted wool gloves to deal

with
my fire - the same ones used by blacksmiths.

There are too many myths around in our 'progressive' age.

Mary

I do not know the particular circumstances of the wool house, but your
statement that wool will not burn is only partially true, raw wool is
highly
flammable and burns with intense heat and was considered a dangerous
cargo.
once washed and fulled or felted then it is indeed fire retardant.

It's not the wool which burns in unwashed fleece but the grease.

Mary

Old 21-09-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aboleth" wrote in message
[...]

A mute point when you are on fire!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-09-2007, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

It's not the wool which burns in unwashed fleece but the grease.

A mute point when you are on fire!

Is that one where you don't scream?

Perhaps a moot point?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 21-09-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

It's not the wool which burns in unwashed fleece but the grease.

A mute point when you are on fire!

Is that one where you don't scream?

Perhaps a moot point?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Thought it didn't look right!!

Old 22-09-2007, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 20 Sep, 09:56, "Uncle Marvo"
. com, I, Marvo, say :

My neighbour has a lovely big black poplar. Last night a big old
branch dropped out of hte sky and squashed my garden:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The inside of the branch is really rotten:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The pale stuff is nice strong wood, the darker brown is just squishy
goo.

He's a decent chap and immediately accepted responsibility for
clearing up. What I'm worried about is how safe the tree is. There are
plenty more big branches that could fall on me or my kids, and I'm
concerned that the rot might be in other branches.

Any tree experts in the house? What needs to be done now?

Contact the council. They deal with dangerous trees, and it costs

nothing.
Well, it costs someone, but it won't cost *you*.

Do you suggest this even though it's his tree on private property? I
thought it would be a private matter.

Tree Protection Officers have juridiction over all trees, in private and
public spaces.

They can put tree preservation orders on any tree, anywhere, as far as I
know.

Mature, established trees can be preserved and planning applications
rejected to preserve them.

In a conservation area rules are even more strict.
Allegedly you need permission from the TPO before you prune any large tree.

You can (if you feel strongly enough) ask for a tree preservation order on
any tree in your area.
Doesn't mean you will get it, but if you do get it the tree can't be touched
without permission.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 24-09-2007, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:35:08 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

~shazzbat wrote:
~ oups.com...
~
[...]
~ Change the setting. 50 is way too much. :-))
~
~ Steve
~
~
~Get your neighbour to contact his insurance company, they may well be
~happy to pay for someone to come out and declare it safe of not.

I had two entwined whitebeams fall on next door in the January gales.
They flattened his shed and half the contents (not to mention ruining
my shed and the foundations too, and the fence...) . Insurance picked
up the tab with no complaints.

The trick would be to get a proper registered tree surgeon to come
and remove the branch and do an assessment of the rest of it at the
same time. Don't get an odd job man as they can't tell if the rest of
the tree is likely to go any time soon, though I'd say it's a safe
assumption that it is. Winter gales might well finish it off, in who
knows which direction?

It's sad to lose a tree - I was quite upset as the robins usually
built in the ivy and the whole tree was full of wildlife. My
replacement shed's further forward so I can get round the back, and up
have gone bird boxes

My problem is a 40' sycamore looming over the house from land adjacent
- and not one of the three councils covering my area (town, area and
county) want to take responsibility.

Write (don't phone) to all three councils, asking who is responsible for the
safety of the tree. Something along the lines of "Is it you? If not you, who
is it? They can't ignore a letter, they have to log it in, then when they've
replied, they haven't got the excuse "We didn't know about it"

Steve

Old 24-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Fisher View Post
I've just heard about a house built of wool which has had to be demolished because it's a fire hazard!
It isn't a real house, it's a knitted artwork. Here's the report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7006558.stm

Having woollen carpets on your floors, or woollen felt roof insulation, won't result in your house being condemned.
Old 28-09-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Sep, 09:45, wrote:
My neighbour has a lovely big black poplar. Last night a big old
branch dropped out of hte sky and squashed my garden:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The inside of the branch is really rotten:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The pale stuff is nice strong wood, the darker brown is just squishy
goo.

He's a decent chap and immediately accepted responsibility for
clearing up. What I'm worried about is how safe the tree is. There are
plenty more big branches that could fall on me or my kids, and I'm
concerned that the rot might be in other branches.

Any tree experts in the house? What needs to be done now?

Thanks

John

Just an update as you were all so helpful. The tree surgeon hired by
my neighbour has recommended the whole crown is removed and the trunk
reduced to 15 feet. He says it should grow back, but this will leave
it with no branches at all so I guess it will be a slow process.
Neighbour is sad, so are we, but it's better than having a branch fall
on us.

The tree surgeon did some pruning of our Rubinia while he was there,
saving me a job (though he was a lot more severe than I would have
been!).

Fallen Tree-4540 Maroochy Garden Photos 0 27-06-2009 10:10 AM
Fallen tree? BE Gardening 6 16-01-2006 07:02 AM
Hope for fallen tree? [email protected] Gardening 4 11-10-2005 08:24 PM
How much to remove a fallen tree after hurricane jacky Lawns 6 02-09-2005 05:03 AM
First aid help req! The heads fallen off our Marguerite tree [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:44 PM