Old 22-09-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default [OT] Return after a while to find chaos! On topic - frosts and tomatoes.

Hi,

returning to the group I find that it is buried in obscenity and cross
posts.

Using OE (on this PC) I have gone through the last week or so and blocked
all senders who cross post (and removed all their posts) and the few sad
lonely bunnies who think it is clever to post rude words.

OE isn't particularly flexible, so anyone who was drawn in to responding to
cross posts with cross posts has also gone.

The remaining posts look a lot neater, but what a waste of time!

To get back on topic, when do we expect the first frosts in the South?

I have some very late tomatoes outside and I would like at least one truss
to ripen before they are all wiped out.

In Suffolk by the sea tomatoes would often crop into November, but frosts
are earlier inland.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 22-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

returning to the group I find that it is buried in obscenity and cross
posts.

Maybe it is with the cross posts and rubbish they bring in,

BUT,

have you noticed how peaceful it is within urg at present? No aggression, no
name calling, nobody telling others that the information is wrong, just
plain straight forward gardening matters :-))

Make the most of it :-)

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 22-09-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi,

returning to the group I find that it is buried in obscenity and cross
posts.

Using OE (on this PC) I have gone through the last week or so and blocked
all senders who cross post (and removed all their posts) and the few sad
lonely bunnies who think it is clever to post rude words.
Cheers

Dave R

For me it was the last straw with OE. Someone on here suggested
MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader, which is free, and after using it now
for 24 hours found it is much better than OE. It has a message rule you
can set to delete postings sent to more than a specified number of
groups. I've set it to 2 and this works very well. The problem with just
blocking senders in OE is the trolls just morph their names periodically
anyway, some even use the email address associated with other,
"legitimate" posters for mischief knowing the other poster will be the
one who actually gets blocked!
I've also created a message rule to delete all messages with typical
offensive words. These simple two rules (no crossposts and no offensive
language) seem to get rid of most of the rubbish without losing any
"legitimate" postings.
--
David in Normandy.

How do you define 'offensive' David? Do you list those offensive to you or
are there a 'selection'? I don't like swearing and some of the things on
here, and other newsgroups are to me swearing whereas others seem to think
them 'norm'. Sorry but I am old fashioned.

I rate swearing as unable to comprehend and use the Queen's English

Mike

Old 22-09-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I take the view that if people resort to vulgar swearing on a public
forum, then such postings are of no interest to me.

I simply added words to a delete message rule that I personally find
offensive. None of the regular posters in this group ever use those
words, only the kids/trolls whose sole aim is to irritate. The swearing
vocabulary of these people seems to be limited and revolve around a mere
half-dozen words anyway so setting up the delete rule isn't difficult.
--
David in Normandy.

Old 22-09-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thank you. Seems good to me :-)

Mike

Old 22-09-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:25:24 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

I take the view that if people resort to vulgar swearing on a public
forum, then such postings are of no interest to me.

I use a global kill on any sender when I don't want to see their
messages. That way I catch them on all newsgroups. If they change
their identity it's just a Ctrl + K with the defaults I have set.

Steve

Old 22-09-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

To get back on topic, when do we expect the first frosts in the South?

No idea, I'm in Yorkshire.

I have some very late tomatoes outside and I would like at least one truss
to ripen before they are all wiped out.

Mine are ripening now, all tomatoes have been later this year - our
greenhouse is unheated.

In Suffolk by the sea tomatoes would often crop into November, but frosts
are earlier inland.

I'm not too sure bout that, in large towns and cities buildiings are great
heat reservoirs.

It doesn't matter, though, if your tomatoes don't ripen outside. You can cut
off the vines, bring them in, put them in a basket in the kitchen and
gradually some will ripen. Pick those off and watch for others.

I've done this for years, we always have our last home grown tomatoes on
Christmas Eve. Sometimes they're very small :-)

Mary

Old 22-09-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote (snip)
To get back on topic, when do we expect the first frosts in the South?

I have some very late tomatoes outside and I would like at least one truss
to ripen before they are all wiped out.

In Suffolk by the sea tomatoes would often crop into November, but frosts
are earlier inland.

Well we have had our citrus out 'till the end of November and other years in
by the end of September. Depends. Keep a look at the forecasts and don't
rely on just one.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-09-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,demon.local

**** off then.

--

Hansom 0++0

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

Old 26-09-2007, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

To get back on topic, when do we expect the first frosts in the South?

24 hours before we have brought in our most tender plants!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

peach tree blooms and frosts songbird[_2_] Edible Gardening 8 27-03-2012 05:09 AM
AMC: Super Couple of the past return and speculation about their return *spoilers!* [email protected] Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:32 PM
Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead. Diana Kulaga[_3_] Orchids 42 13-08-2007 03:26 AM
Frosts John Edgar United Kingdom 15 24-09-2003 10:12 PM
"First Frosts" Jayne United Kingdom 20 16-05-2003 08:44 AM