Old 29-09-2007, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default felling chilly

Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to say
that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)

kate

Old 29-09-2007, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to say
that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)

kate

Are Damart still about? We had a shop here on the Isle of Wight but it has
long since closed.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 29-09-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to say
that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)
kate

Nylon or woollen tights work pretty well + three jumpers :~)
Jenny

Old 29-09-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to
say that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)
kate

Nylon or woollen tights work pretty well + three jumpers :~)
Jenny

certainly the tights were popular on the ships when I was up in the northen
north sea working, but I could never quite feel right in them! ordinary long
johns work fine, but in all cases if you are doing something active you
suddenly find yourself feeling very hot. I prefer layers over rather than
under so they can be easily removed, best of all I prefer it not being cold
enough to need anything :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 29-09-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

certainly the tights were popular on the ships when I was up in the
northen north sea working, but I could never quite feel right in them!
ordinary long johns work fine, but in all cases if you are doing something
active you suddenly find yourself feeling very hot.

I'll vouch for that!

I prefer layers over rather than under so they can be easily removed,

Me too.

Mary

Old 29-09-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

certainly the tights were popular on the ships when I was up in the
northen north sea working, but I could never quite feel right in them!
ordinary long johns work fine, but in all cases if you are doing
something active you suddenly find yourself feeling very hot.

I'll vouch for that!

I prefer layers over rather than under so they can be easily removed,

Me too.

Mary

yes I agree with the layers, I have just been having a rummage thro last
years winter clothing etc. and I think I feel a shopping spree coming on. We
should have a Damart somewhere handy or at least on line but I think silk
sounds nicer :-)))

kate

Old 29-09-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes

certainly the tights were popular on the ships when I was up in the
northen north sea working, but I could never quite feel right in
them! ordinary long johns work fine, but in all cases if you are
doing something active you suddenly find yourself feeling very hot.

I'll vouch for that!

I prefer layers over rather than under so they can be easily removed,

Me too.

Mary

yes I agree with the layers, I have just been having a rummage thro
last years winter clothing etc. and I think I feel a shopping spree
coming on. We should have a Damart somewhere handy or at least on line
but I think silk sounds nicer :-)))

Silk works well, and despite all the labels advising special washing,
I've found it seems pretty resistant to shrinking. I use extra silk
layers for caving in winter.

--
Kay
Old 29-09-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...
Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to say
that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)

When I read your heading my first thought was "what size are her Chilli
plants for God's sake"

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-09-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/9/07 17:45, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:15:46 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/9/07 17:07, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:10:05 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/9/07 08:55, in article
, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

Its one of those days when it is warmer out than in, we don't want to put
the heating on just yet - seems a bit early - but right now I have to say
that I am cold. That brings me nicely back on topic to ask for
recommendations re. thermal underwear to wear when gardening and at any
other time come to that :-)

kate

I can't wear wool, so when I used to ski I used to get silk longjohns etc.
from Patra. They lasted for years and I used to wear them for sailing
early
in the year, too. I don't find it gets cold enough often enough down here
to need them now but I'd certainly look into those again if I were in your,
er.....shoes. ;-)

I had a Danish friend who wore Helly Hansen thermal undies when she sailed.

There's posh. ;-) But they're not natural fibre and while I know they're
constructed so as to breathe, I think I'd rather go for the silk, myself.

She was silky and breathed :-)

Aren't those hens? ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-09-2007, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/9/07 22:50, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:49:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/9/07 17:45, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:15:46 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/9/07 17:07, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:10:05 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

On 29/9/07 08:55, in article
, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

[...]

Silly cluckers.

Now you're winging it! ;-)

Bit chilly sacha United Kingdom 1 28-12-2014 10:52 PM
Chilly mornings Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 13 02-09-2013 11:24 AM
Cold? or just a bit chilly? Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 23 06-06-2012 12:52 PM
Chilly Aphids! Shiva Roses 0 10-11-2003 07:42 PM
[IBC] Fall is felling Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-09-2003 02:23 AM