Old 29-09-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Default Who has a taste for rubber?

For the second time in 6 months I have gone into the garden to find the
cable to my pond pump has been severed and shredded. Something quite
powerful has been at it and there is evidence of digging near the cable
joint. Bits of floating plants are also scattered around the edge. GRRR!!

Any hints on what it might be and how to stop it happening for a third time?
I sometimes see a solitary squirrel, have had a fox in the garden before and
haven't seen a hedgehog for years.

--
Tim

Old 29-09-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim" wrote in message
For the second time in 6 months I have gone into the garden to find the
cable to my pond pump has been severed and shredded. Something quite
powerful has been at it and there is evidence of digging near the cable
joint. Bits of floating plants are also scattered around the edge.
GRRR!!

Any hints on what it might be and how to stop it happening for a third
time? I sometimes see a solitary squirrel, have had a fox in the garden
before and haven't seen a hedgehog for years.

--
Tim

Fox

We had the pump cable bitten through and the piece of cable which was left
on the floor, just fitted the mouth of a stuffed fox my Son in Law had.

The power was off at the time!!

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 29-09-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Steve
Wolstenholme says...
I have had most the pump cable "eaten" when the power was on! The live
part of the cable was not eaten. I've no idea what did it but it must
have some electrical awareness or maybe it didn't like the colour.

Perhaps the live cable was too "savoury"?
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Old 29-09-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Steve Wolstenholme writes:
| On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:57:59 +0200, David in Normandy
| wrote:
| In article , Steve
| Wolstenholme says...
| I have had most the pump cable "eaten" when the power was on! The live
| part of the cable was not eaten. I've no idea what did it but it must
| have some electrical awareness or maybe it didn't like the colour.
|
| Perhaps the live cable was too "savoury"?
|
| Since I posted my message my wife has told me about a pet hamster she
| had. The hamster did exactly the same thing with a power cable. It
| chewed through the lot except for the live part of the cable. Perhaps
| some animals can sense the danger.

It's not hard. So can you.

The normal cause is rats and mice, but I can believe foxes, hamsters,
gerbils, and even raccoons. Some idiot is farming the latter in the
UK, and there is a significant chance that our unfavourite trolls will
release them, whereupon they may well establish themselves :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim" wrote ...
For the second time in 6 months I have gone into the garden to find the
cable to my pond pump has been severed and shredded. Something quite
powerful has been at it and there is evidence of digging near the cable
joint. Bits of floating plants are also scattered around the edge.
GRRR!!

Any hints on what it might be and how to stop it happening for a third
time? I sometimes see a solitary squirrel, have had a fox in the garden
before and haven't seen a hedgehog for years.

With the added bits of plants I'd say Rats.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden